• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can religious people be genuinely decent?

Mane

Permabanned
Do religious people - particularly belonging to religions of moral dogma - genuinely care about others well being? Or are they simply acting out of their own (Imagined) self interest (Scoring points for their afterlife game)? How can you know? How can they? Are there any situations in which acting for the benefit of others would not be in their own spiritual interest?

Disclaimer: I don't mean simply in action, but in terms of intent.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think the reformed aspects of religion have decent chances at it. I know many really religious people that are super decent, great people, that leave the judging up to their Gods.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As someone who believes in religion as a whole, this is what I think: any self-proclaimed religious person who's kind and decent to others only to score good karma points is always going to be seen as shallow in my eyes. When a person is genuinely good at heart, kindness and goodwill towards others naturally come out.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
As someone who believes in religion as a whole, this is what I think: any self-proclaimed religious person who's kind and decent to others only to score good karma points is always going to be seen as shallow in my eyes. When a person is genuinely good at heart, kindness and goodwill towards others naturally come out.

Yes, but my thing is I'm not relgious at all and people have told me I can't possibly be a good person at all, that I have no morals or ethics when I do. what's you're take on those people? the ones that think I'm going to hell because I don't believe.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, individuals can be very decent people. I've met many a kind, caring fundamentalist. They may suspect that you're going to Hell, but that doesn't mean that they aren't upset about it, and believe that you will change or that they don't know your whole story. Instead of being overbearing, they just go on being good people and hope for the best for you.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but my thing is I'm not relgious at all and people have told me I can't possibly be a good person at all, that I have no morals or ethics when I do. what's you're take on those people? the ones that think I'm going to hell because I don't believe.

Well, I never said anything about a non-religious person not having any morals or ethics. :) I was simply referring to the religious ones who fake their kindness and decency.

Forget about those who think that non-religious people are going to hell for not believing - I honestly think that's B.S. For example, my companion is an atheist who has good morals. Is he going to be sentenced to hell for being a good human being? Of course not!

Just as [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] mentioned, there are religious people out there who leave the judging up to their Gods. I do the same. :) It's not up to me to decide who goes to heaven or hell.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well, I never said anything about a non-religious person not having any morals or ethics. :) I was simply referring to the religious ones who fake their kindness and decency.

Forget about those who think that non-religious people are going to hell for not believing - I honestly think that's B.S. For example, my companion is an atheist who has good morals. Is he going to be sentenced to hell for being a good human being? Of course not!

Just as [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] mentioned, there are religious people out there who leave the judging up to their Gods. I do the same. :) It's not up to me to decide who goes to heaven or hell.

I never said you did. I just simply asked your opinion on the situation. If I thought you thought that I would have said so. I'm not passive agressive.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never said you did. I just simply asked your opinion on the situation. If I thought you thought that I would have said so. I'm not passive agressive.

Ah - my apologies, then. :hug: I must have misunderstood your statement the first time.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think this picture should settle the matter once and for all:

the-truth-55689373944.jpeg

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it's not just you it's everything.the world is nothing but lies but we need those lies to survive.

Well, sometimes people might need to lie in order to, for example, protect a loved one from the trauma of finding out that their child in fact died years ago and that they're hallucinating. But there are many other lies that I think we all can live without in the world, and those are the lies that bring hatred between others (for example, the propaganda created by Hitler against Jews and other people he deemed 'imperfect' in his twisted mind).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well, sometimes people might need to lie in order to, for example, protect a loved one from the trauma of finding out that their child in fact died years ago and that they're hallucinating. But there are many other lies that I think we all can live without in the world, and those are the lies that bring hatred between others (for example, the propaganda created by Hitler against Jews and other people he deemed 'imperfect' in his twisted mind).
just stop seriously.

Mane

Permabanned
Is this a real question? That's like asking if an atheist can be a good person.

:doh:

Again - anyone can be decent in actions, I am asking about intent. An atheist doesn't necessary have a persistent all-encompassing ulterior motive for being good - a religious person does.

gromit

likes this
Again - anyone can be decent in actions, I am asking about intent. An atheist doesn't necessary have a persistent all-encompassing ulterior motive for being good - a religious person does.

What about "it makes me feel like a "good" person when I'm kind to others"?

There are plenty of people who pride themselves on their "righteousness" whether it motivated by good favor from a deity or from a desired self-image independent of religion/spirituality.

gromit

likes this
Many atheists see each human as worthy of kindness and respect, and they act accordingly.

Just like many religious people do. They see people as they believe God sees them. Deserving of love.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is this a real question? That's like asking if an atheist can be a good person.

:doh:

I know the OP sounds like a silly question, but there are a lot of reasons to ask it. I've been religious and I remember thinking that atheists are fundamentally different in a way that is frightening. Being non religious now, there are people I can't trust, because to them I am just somebody to convert. If those are the types of people you've run into, and if you've had bad experiences, you would wonder...