• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Because I said I would.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I literally just heard of this.

Home - because I said I would.

Basically you fill out a card, and you keep the promise you make no matter what. Seems like a simple task--but people seem to be doing really great things with it.

I was thinking about the AA meeting I attended a while back, and I thought maybe I'd print some out for them.. that way, if they heard someone saying they were thinking about quitting, they could give them that with AA's information on the back.

Anyone else heard of this? Planning on using it? Or have filled out a card before? Did you keep your promise?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Scared to see how hard I'd fail with something like that.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
It would be cool to ritualistically burn the cards you've completed.

The thrill of fire! What stronger persuasive force?!

Metis

I literally just heard of this.

Home - because I said I would.

Basically you fill out a card, and you keep the promise you make no matter what. Seems like a simple task--but people seem to be doing really great things with it.

I was thinking about the AA meeting I attended a while back, and I thought maybe I'd print some out for them.. that way, if they heard someone saying they were thinking about quitting, they could give them that with AA's information on the back.

Anyone else heard of this? Planning on using it? Or have filled out a card before? Did you keep your promise?

Cool idea. I'm going to try that.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I dont know if I believe in making promises to be candid. Which is not to disparage anyone from doing charitable works. Ime too many promises are forged carelessly, others are inferred where there was never the intention... In any case I think its a neat idea if you can keep or believe in making promises. And let's face it, even if you're dead inside; like me, and don't, it's still a worthy idea. Sharing some mercy with folks is a great idea. I hope it really takes off and folk get a lot out of it.

Fantastic thread ^_^ Thanks for sharing it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't need cards. I make promises, and keep them. I can't remember the last time I had to break a promise, though I am sure it has happened. In that case, I am up front with the people affected, and do my best to make up for it. I have no patience for people who cannot keep promises, or who refuse to make them because they are unwilling to put out the effort to follow through.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I never make promises. Because I can't 100% know that I can keep them. Life is uncertain and I am uncertain. So all I can do is make small commitments and be faithful to follow through with them.

Metis

I get not wanting to make promises if you've seen that you have a track record of not keeping them. I've known people who had no insight into their own behavioral patterns and kept making promises, and pressuring me to accept their offers, despite the fact that I knew better. It's definitely better just to stop making them than to keep doing it blindly.

However, this "because I said I would" exercise/project sounds like a good way to build better follow-through habits. I'm good at following through when others are counting on me, but less so when it comes to promises that I make to myself.

Someone gave me some "Art Cards" a decade ago, and I was going to put those to use for this. I always come across those things when I'm looking for something else. Now that I'm looking for them specifically, I can't find them or remember where I put them.

I think I'll start using my blog to try this out.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't need cards. I make promises, and keep them. I can't remember the last time I had to break a promise, though I am sure it has happened. In that case, I am up front with the people affected, and do my best to make up for it. I have no patience for people who cannot keep promises, or who refuse to make them because they are unwilling to put out the effort to follow through.

In what context? You mean in that they agree to something, but won't promise it? Isn't the honesty reflected in the lack of promise more important? Would you rather they lie if they cannot guarantee something?

I think the card idea is cute. But it would have absolutely no effect on me. That card is not going to be the difference between me keeping a promise or not keeping it. It's not going to remind me of what's important. I already know, and if it's so important that I made a promise, I'm not going to forget it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In what context? You mean in that they agree to something, but won't promise it? Isn't the honesty reflected in the lack of promise more important? Would you rather they lie if they cannot guarantee something?
Of course lying is no better, but refusing to make commitments because you are unwilling to put out the effort or make the sacrifice that is sometimes necessary to follow through is its own problem. There are times when I tell someone no, that I cannot do something, or that I will if I have a chance. More often than not, though, I make a commitment, and do what it takes to keep it because I value my word.