• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The meaning of life

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Have you ever thought of simply wearing a skirt? That might solve your whole existential dilemma and accidentally trick the universe into revealing the meaning of life in the process. I bet you could even keep your chapstick afterward.

T

ThatGirl

If I had a nickle for everytime my wearing a skirt tricked people into revealing all kinds of things...... I know where Hoffa is buried due to a pleated mini.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Great responses thus far. :rolli:

I don't think there is a purpose in the way we normally think of "purpose." Purpose normally implies a goal that something was designed for. Example, the purpose of the can opener is to open cans. As far as I can tell, humanity has no designer aside from nature, and even nature has no real intended goal except maybe preservation, though preservation/evolution is more of a byproduct of the natural laws of this universe than anything consciously intended, like the guy who created the can opener.

My opinion is that people feel disconnected from themselves, their people, their world, and ultimately, the entire universe because they don't give themselves time to sit and reflect, always chasing pleasure and avoiding pain, asking "how do I get out of this mess I'm in?" instead of saying "what's really going on here?" Merging with rest of one's surroundings (by connecting to our insides, ironically) makes that existential angst disappear because you start to appreciate the role of that angst.

T

ThatGirl

I sort of have to dissagree on a couple of points. The first being that if preservation is a goal preservation itself has some sort of meaning. Do you believe that there are completely unneccessay elements of the earth that exsist for no purpose? I do believe that no man is an island. Going on in this direction, there consists a conflict of exsistance through perception. If I am A but viewed as B does A really exsist. Perhaps only within myself. In terms of preservation A dies with me and all that would be left is a shadow of B. Did I ever exist?

I don't think that people have existential crisis because of their refusal to seek answers, quite the opposite actually. Those who run into their physical surroundings and don't seek meaning would probably not be able to define what it is that they are serching for. One must first understand the angst before they search for the answer.

I was recently asked a question that has had me asking everyone around me. Would you rather have acceptance or understanding?

As far as I know I am the only one as of yet to pick understanding. But that is where you exist. If I am not understood then I am not known. If I am never seen then I was never here. So why am I here. Surely it cannot be for myself alone. No man is an island. I think of the levels of self actualization. It seems that you must put in your time to not exist in hope for the chance that one day you will be able to exist beyond pre disposed perception.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I sort of have to dissagree on a couple of points.

I'm going to pretend that this whole post was directed at me, even though I'm not sure you intended it that way.

The first being that if preservation is a goal preservation itself has some sort of meaning. Do you believe that there are completely unneccessay elements of the earth that exsist for no purpose? I do believe that no man is an island.

I think you're talking about the difference between function and purpose. Everything that plays some role in the universe will have a function by default. The question of purpose traditionally speaks to design. If we try to answer the question by looking to function, the question disappears, since your function is whatever you're doing right now.

Going on in this direction, there consists a conflict of exsistance through perception. If I am A but viewed as B does A really exsist. Perhaps only within myself. In terms of preservation A dies with me and all that would be left is a shadow of B. Did I ever exist?

*shrug*

Not sure what you mean here, sowwy.

I don't think that people have existential crisis because of their refusal to seek answers, quite the opposite actually. Those who run into their physical surroundings and don't seek meaning would probably not be able to define what it is that they are serching for. One must first understand the angst before they search for the answer.

I wouldn't (and didn't) disagree with this.

I was recently asked a question that has had me asking everyone around me. Would you rather have acceptance or understanding?

Acceptance of what? Understanding of what?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What is the meaning of life?

I think that this question shows how much mankind really suck.

In my life I have stoped to think in terms of great purpose and pointlessness.
And I can just say that from this perspective things look very differently.

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
Let's see.. there isn't a meaning to life. If they're apple-bottoms, isn't the whole point to make your ass look big? In regards to purpose, acceptance and understanding.. Purpose is a human generated concept. Your purpose is simply your purpose.. if you need one, just find one. Look around, most people get their purpose assigned by other people.. it's kind of silly. Acceptance isn't really something that's worth desiring, as you'll either have it or you won't. You can't influence people enough to -make- them accept you. As far as understanding.. that is the only reasonable thing to search as it is the only thing we can really develop and expand ourselves. ::nods::

And skirts are awesome.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Your purpose in life is to be the person you were meant to be.

This means:

Be yourself. Don't let anybody try to change you. Don't try to be like other people.
Be the best "you" you can be. Develop your own strenghts and potential. Work with your type - whether it is personality type or body type - not against it.

So be happy with your natural body type. If you are a naturally curvy type, accept this as your body type. You can still work to get your body to reach it's full potential - which may or may not result in a smaller butt. Reaching your body's full potential is more about strenght, flexiblity, endurance and health than what size or shape you end up.

Ilah

T

ThatGirl

I didn't mistake function and purpose. There may be the can opener to the can but the fact remains that the can needed to be open. There is more then one way to open a can and there is more than one purpose for a person. I have often been told by others the role that I play in their lives. Within this role I do rather well. But this role only utilizes so much of what I am fully capable of. Sometimes we serve a purpose that we are completely oblivious to. So what exists between people, the purpose that I have for you or the purpose within myself. Sometimes it seems that others get the majority vote over such perceptions, which led me to this.

From the world around you would you rather receive from people acceptance or understanding?

If two purposes can not coincide within outside perception one can be judged as either this, or that. It is in understanding that we find a way to express our purpose in a way that can callenge us to push to our full potential. Example: someone that has a big ass may yell out of the back of a car that they have found a cure for the common cold but all anyone will ever see is the loud person with the big ass. Oddley enough no one will ever know if it was the big ass that solved the problem. It is better to make your ass slender by comparrison in order to express world view or will the equilibrium be sent into chaos and distort the view?

By the way this is all hypothetical.....no, really.`

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Example: someone that has a big ass may yell out of the back of a car that they have found a cure for the common cold but all anyone will ever see is the loud person with the big ass.

I saw this person yesterday morning...

BetaSwimmer

MBTI Type
ENTP
Honestly I don't think that the "meaning of Life" is all that difficult of a question...at least not when taken into the context of an even more important question...

"What is the Purpose of Existence?"

Under this notion all we simply say about living versus non-living is that it's merely a function of the evolution of nature and the rules bounded by this universe and it is then "existence" itself which we must question the purpose of. What the purpose is of having this collection of consciousnesses (both living and non-living ego's) under these set of natural laws?

Why these rules? Why individual ego's? and even if we broke these limitations we are still bound by, the question not just for living but non-living still remains...what is the reason for existence itself?

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
Very true....and as part of this the purpose of life ultimately is about "connection." There, now you know. Now connection to what and the nature of that connection....ah, that is the stuff for mystics. And as Ilah said....you have to find your way to that for yourself. :yes:

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ

This means:

Be yourself. Don't let anybody try to change you. Don't try to be like other people.
Be the best "you" you can be. Develop your own strenghts and potential. Work with your type - whether it is personality type or body type - not against it.

So be happy with your natural body type. If you are a naturally curvy type, accept this as your body type. You can still work to get your body to reach it's full potential - which may or may not result in a smaller butt. Reaching your body's full potential is more about strenght, flexiblity, endurance and health than what size or shape you end up.

Ilah

And if you have the urge to change your body type?

Isn't denying your urges towards self change denying yourself?

The valuing of a body according to it's flexibility and strength is outdated. We have no more real need for such things, the purpose of the body in our modern society is sex.

Self acceptance is not the same as self realization.

Saying the purpose of life is to be yourself is an entirely pointless statement, because no matter what you do you're being yourself.

If my purpose in life is simply to be myself then I could commit suicide at this very moment and be living to the utmost of my potential.

That being said, I can't disagree with your statement, since it is essentially a restating of the question.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
Saying the purpose of life is to be yourself is an entirely pointless statement, because no matter what you do you're being yourself.
Not so!! Never underestimate illusion...it is all around us and most of us live up to our chins in it. I think of this in term of becoming the self we are created to be...and that involves life...growing, questioning, exploring, conversion. It is very, very real and is a big part of what being human is truly all about...it carries rewards that are rich and unique. If one wants to bury their head in the sand and lament our existance fine...but there is most definitely another way.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Back to the real topic...

Get with the times, girlfriend! Large, rrrrrround asses are in!

asstastic.jpg

F_200705_May10ed_img_40047a.jpg

And don't even tell me that's not hot. If I were a heterosexual man, or a lesbian, Beyonce would be my meaning of life.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Beyonce is definitely not my meaning in life.

edit: and for the record, I am a heterosexual male.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Beyonce is definitely not my meaning in life.

edit: and for the record, I am a heterosexual male.

Are you telling me my statement was incorrect because it's not correct for you? ...cause that's incorrect.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Are you telling me my statement was incorrect because it's not correct for you? ...cause that's incorrect.

Haha, no wasn't telling you anything about your statement. It's just funny how lately you hear stories on the news for women who get butt augmentations.

I was simply voicing my personal statement that although 'large, rrrrrround asses' might be in, they just don't do it for me. I guess Sir Mixalot wouldn't be down with me. lol