• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If it Exists does That mean It is Natural?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does it mean for something to be natural? Does existing in nature entail that something is natural?

W

WALMART

[MENTION=9627]Chawie[/MENTION] showed me a logical proof recently that 'confirms' the existence of a supernatural realm

i am thinking it is a bit like Kant's noumenal realm, but I couldn't quite make out the final points, so i'm not sure

so far as i'm concerned - yes, existence is natural and nature is existence

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=9627]Chawie[/MENTION] showed me a logical proof recently that 'confirms' the existence of a supernatural realm

i am thinking it is a bit like Kant's noumenal realm, but I couldn't quite make out the final points, so i'm not sure

so far as i'm concerned - yes, existence is natural and nature is existence

It IS a bit like Kant's noumenal realm, since he stole the idea from Swedenborg and then converted it into a transcendental idea versus Swedenborg's supernatural idea.

But I'm asking if everything is natural, including man-made things.

I

Infinite Bubble

Yeah, anything that exists is natural.

Although people commonly use it to describe something not caused/created by humans. I think maybe we subconsciously separate ourselves from everything else (nature). But that's an illusion.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, anything that exists is natural.

Although people commonly use it to describe something not caused/created by humans. I think maybe we subconsciously separate ourselves from everything else (nature). But that's an illusion.

Consciously or subconsciously. Do you know what artificial selection is?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont agree that everything that exists is natural, but how are we defining "natural" to begin with? I think people typically define "nature" as the things they take in through their senses, whereas the "supernatural" is what we dont perceive. People explain the universe in terms of root causes ie this causes that to happen. Theists typically posit that God is part of nature because he is the first cause. So when people speak of "natural" phenomena they mean stuff that has a cause to bring it into being. I personally beleive this applies only to the material/physical universe only - the universe is a series of cause and effect. But when you talk about the spiritual, Im not talking about ghosts and stuff like that but rather platonic forms which should exist - if you beleive they exist -in a non casual mode(ie they are eternal).

W

WALMART

But I'm asking if everything is natural, including man-made things.

if the universe is to be taken as a set, and all within no more than a subset, yes, all is natural

even man-made objects originate dependently from what precedes their creation

bacon said something like, "chance exists so far as the human will does"

and that is where the load-bearing wall lies, with this argument

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess natural just means the original substance... the reconstructed stuff can be unnatural though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if the universe is to be taken as a set, and all within no more than a subset, yes, all is natural

even man-made objects originate dependently from what precedes their creation

bacon said something like, "chance exists so far as the human will does"

and that is where the load-bearing wall lies, with this argument

What if no human will exists? Does chance then exist?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're guys hair splitting over word definitions is entertaining.

:popc1:

What does it mean for something to be natural?

I'd say something free of intervention.

Does existing in nature entail that something is natural?

See above. A human could run an experiment on some mice and mutate some genes to run an experiment. These mice are not natural.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Natural diamonds vs synthetic or man-made diamonds. One exists in nature; the other is brought into existence by some intelligence. A human turd is considered natural because there's no intelligence behind its creation despite coming from an intelligent being. Modern corn is unnatural because it's created through artificial selection.