• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you fear the end?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Life has no meaning anyway, or it least has no meaning that can be pointedly defined assofar.

As the world evolves so does humanity, things change and time causes meaning to gradually shed itself further from its starting point until it finally becomes so miniscule as to practically become insignificant. In 100000 years, assuming all goes 'well' and the earth continues to revolve around the sun, night turns to day, the human race develops at the same rate that it has now, memory, and therefore meaning, even if transcribed and salvaged in some sort of way, will have to make due-to accomodate everything that has added itself to it sense then, so maybe while meaning could develop as the sum of the additional parts, in the sense of human individual significance, I don't believe it to be distinguisable. No matter if one lives forever or not.

Unless it is being talked about as meaning to the person and not the persons meaning to the world, then I guess intensity in knowing that what what you have is all that you will ever get, would cause you to build up the significance of it instead of spreading it out, I dunno.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Life has no meaning anyway, or it least has no meaning that can be pointedly defined assofar.

The significance (meaning) of Being lies in the recognition (understanding) of the possibility of the impossibility of Being (Death).

That means that the meaning of life (Being) lies in the many particular ways we can be, or by asking the question "What does it mean to be?"

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
The significance (meaning) of Being lies in the recognition (understanding) of the possibility of the impossibility of Being (Death).

That means that the meaning of life (Being) lies in the many particular ways we can be and by asking the question "What does it mean to be?".. The answer is found in that question.

Maybe philosophically, meaning can be derived from what we are as opposed to what we do, can transcend the dimension of inevitable extinguishment, but it would seem almost as if it were a very personal and romantic thing and I would suspect that it would be independant from human known choicedon't exactly know how to put this, maybe I'll just steal a fight between determinism of meaning and free will.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hopefully your own in time!

Avoiding the answer "mine" while subtly implying an enlightened perspective. Neat.

Speaking for myself, I don't prescribe much value to my existence to begin with. How much am I cheapening it by extending it a little longer?

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
20130515-213500.jpg

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. I'm not afraid of death or the end. It happens to everyone. It's unavoidable. And I feel like I have no regrets to feel bad about if I were to die right this second. I lived an eventful life for the short amount of years I have been on this planet, and seen and done everything I can to fill the empty spaces.

So No, I dont fear death. "Death is but the next great adventure." Albus Dumbledore.

Mole

Permabanned
Just before I went under the general anaesthetic, the hospital chaplain visited me and asked if I would like him to read from the bible. "Yes", I said, "I would love to hear The Book of Revelations, sometimes called The Apocalypse, the last book in the bible and the last book about the last things, in fact, the end of the world.

He smiled thinly and asked wouldn't I prefer to hear The Psalms before I went under. But I said, "The Apocalypse is so well written, I would prefer to go with it ringing in my ears". And against his better judgement, but with a good heart, the chaplain read the full horror of the end of world, before I went under the knife.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Drop the snide know-it-all "I'm so much better and more enlightened than all of you troglodyte peons" attitude and people might actually listen more.

Or, I will keep speaking my mind and the people who care about what I have to say will listen, and the people like you, who don't care, will, hopefully, just ignore me.

Mole

Permabanned
Or, I will keep speaking my mind and the people who care about what I have to say will listen, and the people like you, who don't care, will, hopefully, just ignore me.

We do care about what you have to say, and we are delighted to listen to you.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Because any value I construct is subjective and fleeting. It exists entirely within myself and as soon as I cease to exist, likely so will it.

The current criterion I'm judging inherent value by is persistent influence. Since my existence is inherently not persistent (to my knowledge nonexistence is the inevitable end of all things), I currently don't see my existence as inherently valuable.

Yes, let's just ignore the person who is thinking critically and outside the box.

The reason why your response didn't go over well with me is because you presumed to push your own values onto me and as superior to my own. Whether or not you intend it, your replies have the air of someone who "knows what's best for you" and I asked those questions specifically because it seemed that you momentarily forgot that your perspective is not my own.

I don't have a problem with you or your perspective. I don't have a problem with discussing my own. I am open to analyzing and deconstructing my beliefs but I'd prefer that you not belittle me in the process.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because any value I construct is subjective and fleeting. It exists entirely within myself and as soon as I cease to exist, likely so will it.

The current criterion I'm judging inherent value by is persistent influence. Since my existence is inherently not persistent (to my knowledge nonexistence is the inevitable end of all things), I currently don't see my existence as inherently valuable.

The reason why your response didn't go over well with me is because you presumed to push your own values onto me and as superior to my own. Whether or not you intend it, your replies have the air of someone who "knows what's best for you" and I asked those questions specifically because it seemed that you momentarily forgot that your perspective is not my own.

I don't have a problem with you or your perspective. I don't have a problem with discussing my own. I am open to analyzing and deconstructing my beliefs but I'd prefer that you not belittle me in the process.

Do you think it's possible that there is another meaning to my post, which you did not understand?

Are you paying attention?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every end is only the beginning of something or someone new.

Of course, I fear suffering, not the end. The end is just an illusion for us buddhists.

- - - Updated - - -

I will be back :smile:

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The German word for authentic is eigentlich, and it's etymological base is own (as in your own.)

In the authentic mode of existence, we view the world not as actualities or facts, which are not meaningful, but as possibilities and ideas.

What is intuition? Pure intuition is what remains after we have removed everything related to the senses or thought. Thus, intuition is the ground for all phenomena, and thus, it makes being-here-in-the-world possible. So intuition is temporality, because temporality is what makes Being possible.

So intuition is time, and time is Being.

YOUR OWN (authentic) IN TIME (Being).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sensory infromation is real. Don't drink water for a week and watch what happens.

We are encourage by society to mistrust and dislike, or even fear the sensory world because of the value system we've all inherited, whether we know it or not.

Some conflicts are motivated by a clash between worldly and ascetic ideals.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sensory infromation is real. Don't drink water for a week and watch what happens.

We are encourage by society to mistrust and dislike, or even fear the sensory world because of the value system we've all inherited, whether we know it or not.

Some conflicts are motivated by a clash between worldly and ascetic ideals.

I did not say sensory information isn't real, I said it is not significant (meaningful).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I did not say sensory information isn't real, I said it is not significant (meaningful).

Of course it is. If you're in a desert, and you need to find sources of water, you're ggoing to have to use sensory information.

That's one scenario where it's pretty damn significant.