• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you fear the end?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If our lives were not radically finite, they would lose their meaning, because temporality is the ground for us being here in the world. (Meaning that temporality makes being possible).

And there can be no transcendence without temporality.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but what did reason ever have to do with fear?

Fear always has a definite object that is feared.

Meaning that in the case of fear, you know exactly what would remove that fear.

With that in mind: How can you fear death, if as long as you are, death is not?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My greatest fear is the unknown, so of course I fear death. Death is the ultimate unknown.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My greatest fear is the unknown, so of course I fear death. Death is the ultimate unknown.

the man has said that he'd have less of a problem with it if he could schedule it and read reviews on yelp beforehand :doh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the man has said that he'd have less of a problem with it if he could schedule it and read reviews on yelp beforehand :doh:
:laugh: I could not agree more.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I could not agree more.

I'm imagining some sort of SJ death services and reviews now

"heaven did not live up to my expectations. I can't believe that they let Janet in after what I saw her doing with her husband's boss that one time! Furthermore, some of the angels' harps are out of tune and this God fellow seemed a bit too lax to actually run a place of this size. I'm not sure that he should actually be the one in charge. I have to ask, by this point... is this actually heaven or hell?"

"Nothingness is turning out to be a lot less relaxing than I had expected. Also, the food is terrible. I give it one star, only because it won't let me give zero."

:doh:

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Learning is usually about exploring the unknown. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting or over-generalizing your statement but fearing the unknown can be greatly self limiting in many areas of life. Learning not to fear the unknown is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. The unknown often hides pleasant things.

Plaerdemavida

I've never feared death itself but the way I might die or dying unsatisfied with my life. I don't fear it mostly because I think it's just something natural and there's nothing after life, and I like it that way, I wouldn't be so interested in living if I knew life hasn't an end.

Moreover, death is something I've always been curious about, specially when I was a kid. In fact, when some religious relatives said to me I was going to go to hell I thought about it as something exciting, like if it were some kind of adventure. I mean, I didn't believe in it but I liked to fantasize a lot.

Last edited:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't fear death but I resent its function as the end of my possibilities and potential. Immortality would be ideal.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't fear death but I resent its function as the end of my possibilities and potential. Immortality would be ideal.

Immortality would render our lives meaningless.

Death reveals the "terrible temporality" of our existence. And it is this temporality-this, radical finitude, which gives our life meaning. That is to say, it is that our lives are radically finite which makes being possible at all.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Immortality would render our lives meaningless.

Death reveals the "terrible temporality" of our existence. And it is this temporality-this, radical finitude, which gives our life meaning. That is to say, it is that our lives are radically finite which makes being possible at all.

Sounds cool. Still want immortality.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds cool. Still want immortality.

If you want time to have no end (therefore, no meaning), and you want your being-here-in-the-world to have no significance whatsoever, then go for it. :)

You'd be a rock, not a human being, because human beings have a beginning and an end.

Only human beings can have a meaningful existence.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you want time to have no end (therefore, no meaning), and you want your being-here-in-the-world to have no significance whatsoever, then go for it. :)

You'd be a rock, not a human being, because human beings have a beginning an end.

Only human beings can lead a meaningful existence.

From whose perspective are we prescribing this meaning?