• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paranormal things: Do you believe in them?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Everyone has probably read or heard a ghost story, but how many of you really dealt with such paranormal events in a way that a certain statement can be given on it.
Some people dismiss it as nonsense or fraud, but how can one be completely sure about it?
It's hard for me to believe in ghosts or any possible afterlife since so many mental conditions are influenced by hormones produced in the body and the condition of one's brain (Alzheimer, etc.). Most scientists don't even recognize such phenomenas nor do they care about them.
I can understand this view since many happenings in alleged haunted places could be explained with things like low-frequent vibes and cold air flows, but why is it that even highly respected people like Jung report encounters with poltergeists multiple times? The explanations are just missing. The problem is that methodical science doesn't work in these fields anymore. You can't measure a paranormal event nor can you get any reliable empirical data from investigations and thus it leaves the topic over for esoterics and spiritualists.

To come back to the actual question, do you believe in any kind of paranormal things? I've read into the topic a bit recently and it's crazy what stuff people tell on the internet.

Here's an excerpt from an article about Jung's encounters with ghosts. http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/3847/the_occult_world_of_cg_jung.html

TABLES AND KNIVES
Jung’s mother was involved in at least two well-known paranormal experiences that are recounted in practically every book about him. Sitting in his room studying, Carl suddenly heard a loud bang coming from the dining room. He rushed in and found his mother startled. The round walnut table had cracked from the edge past the centre. The split didn’t follow any joint, but had passed through solid wood. Drying wood couldn’t account for it; the table was 70 years old and it was a humid day. Jung thought: “There certainly are curious accidents.” As if she was reading his mind Emilie replied in her ‘other’ voice: “Yes, yes, that means something.” Two weeks later came a second incident. Returning home in the evening, Jung found an excited household. An hour earlier there had been another loud crack, this time coming from a large sideboard. No one had any idea what had produced it. Jung inspected the sideboard. Inside, where they kept the bread, he found a loaf and the bread knife. The knife had shattered into several pieces, all neatly arranged in the breadbasket. The knife had been used earlier for tea, but no one had touched it nor opened the cupboard since. When he took the knife to a cutler, he was told that there was no fault in the steel and that someone must have broken it on purpose. He kept the shattered knife for the rest of his life, and years later sent a photograph of it to psychical researcher JB Rhine.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like the word supernatural or paranormal. It implies that there could be things that happen that shouldn't happen. This makes no sense. There may be things that rarely happen, there may even be things that happen that by definition cannot be predicted or reproduced, but this doesn't make them not normal or unnatural.

I've seen odd things. I've experienced ghost-like activity, certain strong premonitions and other effects that seem out of the ordinary but the scientist in me treats them as isolated events. I know they happened, I know there could be several explanations for them, ones that I'll never be able to actually verify due to the sporadic quality of said events and also due to the unreliable information out there from unreliable narrators of similar happenings.

I believe that everything cannot be predicted and explained and accounted for by man and her sciences. But I also believe that those things because of their nature should not be given an undue amount of attention.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I've seen odd things. I've experienced ghost-like activity, certain strong premonitions and other effects that seem out of the ordinary but the scientist in me treats them as isolated events.

Interesting, did you feel frightened while they happened? I mean, did you have the feeling you could be harmed or worse? I can't say that I ever had an experience with ghosts or anything similar, so I won't start arguing about it right now. I rather wish I never make this experience.
I avoid being alone at nights recently, because I feel like I would shit my pants if I heard a noise that I couldn't explain. I hope it doesn't evolve into a phobia, so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about the topic.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, did you feel frightened while they happened? I mean, did you have the feeling you could be harmed or worse? I can't say that I ever had an experience with ghosts or anything similar, so I won't start arguing about it right now. I rather wish I never make this experience.
I avoid being alone at nights recently, because I feel like I would shit my pants if I heard a noise that I couldn't explain. I hope it doesn't evolve into a phobia, so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about the topic.

Sometimes, yes. For example, we bought my Uncle's house and I was there alone one night and a toothbrush happen to fly out of a toothbrush holder mounted on the wall to the other side of the bathroom, against the tiled wall and into the tub. It'd say it was about 5 or 6 feet of air time. I didn't see it leave the holder, as I was looking at the tiled wall it flew into at the time, but I did see it in the holder before I turned around.

I knew that my Aunt had committed suicide only months before in the house with my Uncle's police force issued firearm. So, I did think about ghosts, and I was frightened for a bit. But there's really no way of tying those events together for sure, and understanding what it means is useless with so many limited facts. All I know is that a toothbrush flew across the room with no explanation. If I admit the possibility of ghosts then I should equally admit the possibility of all kinds of other things: subconsciously initiated telekinetic activity, hallucination, gravitational anomalies, my toothbrush gaining animistic status, pixies masquerading as ghosts, etc.

It's easy to say ghosts, but there's just not enough info, and there never will be for that specific instance. And for the fact that we don't have scientifically verified investigations into any of this, these sorts of things aren't verifiable or reproducible, even if they happen. And this means they shouldn't be planned around. This may not be completely true, but it's by my own reasoning and by my own experience a sane conclusion to come to.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i believe in a spiritual realm

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't disbelieve. I've had a couple of things happen, dreamed stuff that came true or almost physical feelings of emotions that weren't mine. But I think the human brain is capable of a lot of wild stuff and we still have a lot to learn about it.

Edit: Due to my upbringing, I don't mess around with occult stuff. Intellectually, I know that it's probably superstition, but at a gut and emotional level, I'm not taking any chances.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe in any.

We are talking about things for which no human being has ever once in history made a confirmable record of, which no human being with a vested interest in the truth of has come forward to confirm in a scientific manner, and which are usually based on something that would run in contradiction with some fundamentally established aspect of science. You could say I don't know it's false for sure, but you can also say that I don't know the earth orbits the sun for sure.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe in any.

We are talking about things for which no human being has ever once in history made a confirmable record of, which no human being with a vested interest in the truth of has come forward to confirm in a scientific manner, and which are usually based on something that would run in contradiction with some fundamentally established aspect of science. You could say I don't know it's false for sure, but you can also say that I don't know the earth orbits the sun for sure.

I stated my view, which is mostly that I have experienced unexplainable things, but I'm not comfortable in assigning them as being supernatural for various reasons. Do you think it's possible that there can exist a class of phenomena that by its nature is not reproducible, either by its intermittency, its relationship to the act of observation or even possibly by its own agency?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I knew that my Aunt had committed suicide only months before in the house with my Uncle's police force issued firearm.

Wow, I'm sorry for you, that is harsh. The thing is, if hypothetical ghosts were able to move stuff around I wonder why it wouldn't happen more often. Usually such things often happen in some kind of "jinxed" places where people were murdered or committed suicide. I think that's more often than not the reflections of subconscious or conscious fears as a result of a general higher awareness of the environment. They tend to rate any unusual event as something related to something supernatural. In your case it seems to be something really strange btw.
I think people should be aware of such phenomenas and it shouldn't be swept under the carpet. It's really debatable since many people think these things can happen.

I have had precognitive dreams before.
That's quite cool. I've heard from people multiple times that they sometimes have a premonition when related persons are about to call them. I never had such an experience to be honest.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, I'm sorry for you, that is harsh. The thing is, if hypothetical ghosts were able to move stuff around I wonder why it wouldn't happen more often. Usually such things often happen in some kind of "jinxed" places where people were murdered or committed suicide. I think that's more often than not the reflections of subconscious or conscious fears as a result of a general higher awareness of the environment. They tend to rate any unusual event as something related to something supernatural. In your case it seems to be something really strange btw.
I think people should be aware of such phenomenas and it shouldn't be swept under the carpet. It's really debatable since many people think these things can happen.

I actually didn't really know her well, but yeah, harsh. I guess my real question is, do these kinds of things really matter? People get really attached to the spookiness of the whole deal. But I honestly do believe that if this sort of thing was reproducible, it wouldn't be 'supernatural' it would be science. There is resistance to new ideas in the scientific world, but we've had since Greek times, the dawn of modern thought, to start gathering data on this, and it hasn't emerged as a verified phenomena.

I know what I saw, and I know similar things that I've seen and experienced, but given what the rest of the world also knows, where does it put me and what I know? This is the real question.

EDIT: Hah, I used to think about this stuff a lot.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't believe in any.

This.

There are things in this world that we don't understand, but that lack of understanding does not default to it being something spiritual, ghostly, etc.. It's nothing more than a point that we don't yet have the tools to analyze and figure out.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've experienced one precognitive event. I was sleepy at the time (from studying stuff) but all of a sudden, I felt a wave of alertness and I knew that something was going to happen and it did.

The one paranormal phenomenon which many of us have experienced (94% in kids according to an Ohio State University survey) but haven't given much thought to is the sense of being stared at. I often know when someone's looking at me (even from the back). I'd get a feeling, like a type of pressure, and when I turn my head, I'd see someone looking at me.

Here are two accounts from Rupert Sheldrake's book "The Sense of Being Stared At":

"I was attending a lecture when fifteen minutes into the program I felt a prickle and uncomfortable. When I turned around, seven rows back I found my husband's ex-wife staring at me."

"When my sister and I were small and shared a room, I came to realize that when she was sleeping all I needed to do was look at her and she woke up. This would happen almost invariably, so when I didn't want to wake her when leaving or entering the room, I avoided looking at her. This was more difficult in reality than it seems in the telling. When I failed and gazed to see if she was awake, she would immediately awaken."

midnight rambler

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I am kind of on the fence here. I have experienced some things you would call paranormal. I was in a city with a friend that is supposedly very haunted. We went down to this town to see if any weird things would happen to us. well, we walked by a graveyard and he felt like someone poking him with something and i heard a few different whispers. Another time i was staying at a lake house and i s aw a green ball of light morph into a apparition and start walking along the shore line of the lake. Odd thing about that house was that all my cousins and anyone who came to stay at the house all experienced something odd happening to them. My Uncle went down in the basement and saw some little girl, and my cousin had a dream about the little girl and he said could feel her touch him. My parents and my other relatives all had uneasy feelings while in that house, but those feelings went away as soon as we were out of the house. There obviously could be some rational explanations for all that, but I just couldn't really explain any of it. I can see why people believe in paranormal and I can see why others would find it all bullshit.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not at all.

Not that I completely disregard the possible existence of paranormal phenomena. But in the absence of empirical evidence I have no reason to believe.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i do but like qlip i don't like that term either. it makes it sound hokey. i'm spiritual and believe spirits that have passed will visit and i believe they can sometimes transfer information to us. several people in my family have had experiences with loved ones that have passed.

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is a tough topic for me, I've dealt with mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression, and I was always very flamboyant my whole life. So, if I told people I saw ghosts or had sleep paralysis and I saw people touch me, it would actually sound ordinary coming from a person like me. I've been terrified of 'spirits' my whole life as long as I can remember. I saw the skeleton key when it first came out, I think I was 8? I did not sleep for months hahaha. I've always heard voices and saw things since I was little, but I learned to block it out or have my mother convince me I have a very active imagination. I've been tested for schizophrenia and observed with out my knowing, a couple times. I was so convinced last year after messing around with a bunch of psychedelics I had some sort of drug induced form of hallucinating, but it all didn't add up. I could tell the difference between reality very well. I'm a very functional basketcase so to speak, who is TOO open.

Alright long story short, I saw a well known licensed spirtual healer because I was having night terrors, had people talking to me and could not tell if I was just imagining it all, She confirmed everything I've been feeling, and helped me get rid of two spirits attached to me since I was a little girl. She told me I've been an "empath?" my whole life and I'll probably end up doing what she does when I'm ready to embrace my spirtual healing side I guess. I have it all recorded and it was so vague. My mother believes in spirits and my dad is terrified catholic who believes he'll basically go to hell for dealing with this stuff lol. my mother spoke to her afterwards and the spiritual healer explained when my mother asked "is she physic?" and she replied "oh she's very fucking psychic" ahahaha. I don't know, it's still a lot for me to take in or even fully believe. The significant event in my life that makes me believe I actually have some sorta of connection is when I told my friend a detailed full story about this boy who use to live in her house. I swear to god she told me about it, but apparently she didn't. She bursted into tears and basically had a panic attack. and then I started crying too! I didn't know what was happening.

Lately I'll have dreams and see visions and such. but not full on figures I can talk to clearly. I do not hear voices everywhere I go...and they are 12x more prominent when I'm high...so I think I have some severe anxiety towards this all affecting any "gift" I have. It's all in the back of head 24/7 so I don't know if i'm just a traumatized druggie sucker some days, or if i'm in the movie the sixth sense.

I take flower essence everyday, yarrow, corn, and moutain prim something idk and I constantly sage my room and house and take lavender sea salt baths. I was instructed to do this? So It seems positive enough and they all relax me so why not? all I know is I really need to stop smoking so much weed alone. LOL. Because that is when I freak out. When I'm sober and hear voices i'm not as afraid at all, but i'm already in my own head high so it's terrifying, holy shit. I can't tell if i'm just high or actually hearing shit.
I'm trying to get a job in the summer at this healing store a couple towns over I was recommended to work there :D so i'm excited! the owner is my moms friend who recommended the spirtual healer I went too, So i feel safe there and excited to learn!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yup. It's a mix of things:
1. Validation for those who have experienced something I have not. It's hard to say no to people who know what they saw and heard. I have no proof otherwise. And I know too many intelligent, rational people that don't have irrational fears that have experienced something in the paranormal realm.
2. I like the idea of it.
3. I like keeping an open mind to possibilities.