• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do we exist?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Indeed, my condition had doctors scratching their heads because they weren't sure what was wrong with me, medications weren't working, so that's when the dreams and healing started.

Some of us peer through different sides of the same looking glass. At one side the right brains perceive the same grand design as supernatural, while the left brains perceive it through science and logic. Perhaps one day when we start to perceive reality in its totality, we will understand the nature of our existence and the and uncover the theory of everything.

Strange, I never heard something like this before. I'm glad got through this shit. ;)

Btw, how sure are you of being an INTP? You have this NF vibe.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=19964]Avalon[/MENTION] was their any external factors that could have preciptated your illness?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

[MENTION=21203]theDarkSide[/MENTION]

The Bible has it's uses, but this is not one of them.

You're better off trying to figure it out on your own, in my opinion.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The Bible has it's uses, but this is not one of them.

You're better off trying to figure it out on your own, in my opinion.

The bible isn't meant to help in understanding questions about one's existence?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

The bible isn't meant to help in understanding questions about one's existence?

I don't think so, no. It's more of a distraction from understanding the nature of our existence. I think of it more of a guide for morality, and even then.. It's usefulness is limited.

:)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I see you have put a lot of time into that, but please, don't mix up science with religion and esoteric stuff. This just causes contradictions and quoting bible passages doesn't make it more credible.

You are so adorable with your little Einstein stuff. I have so much respect for it. I promise I'll work it into my theories about esoteric/religious stuff later, but right now I don't have time.

I

Infinite Bubble

I don't think we're intelligent enough to answer the question. There's probably a vast amount of concepts that we're unable to comprehend*. Things that are incompatible with brain structure. The very fact there's a particular structure determines what information can and can't be comprehended. We can get so far, by applying model-dependent realism.

I've some pet guinea pigs. How could they possibly comprehend that they're kept as pets in a habitat artificially created by human beings? Or any other animals in fact: the modern world around them, the idea of it being created by us, and the technology used... it's very much beyond them, never mind the universe beyond earth.

We'll be in a similar situation with aspects of the universe. The answer to this question, being so fundamental, is probably one of them. Imagine what we'd know simply with a slightly larger and more efficient brain. How much more would be comprehensible then? What new ideas would be available to us?

*Evolution and scientific progression may slowly enable more complex ideas to be accessible.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are you talking about? Stephen Hawking leans toward the notion of the pre-big bang aka "M" theory. That we live in a multiverse not a universe.

I think therefore I am.
I wish I'd saved the article, but Lawrence Krauss was quoted writing to another cosmologist to be careful of how they presented M-theory in public because it looked a lot like trying to avoid the Big Bang, in order to avoid anything that resembled special creation. Saw this about a year, year and a half ago.
For the nonce, I think it's fun to point out that M-theory violates the f*ck out of Occam's razor. :dry:

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No the beginning of time itself and the beginning time in our universe are NOT the same. If you studied anything about what Stephen Hawking says about black holes and M theory you would know that the explanation of other universes provides evidence of what is happening in our own universe. And if you were correct then where does matter go inside a black hole? black holes clearly exist in our universe.
Put down your bong.
An "explanation" is not SUFFICIENT evidence.
At least, that is supposed to be the grounds for choosing empiricism over, say, scholasticism, authority, or mysticism.

Either that, or you're tripping over your words in your haste to get them out.

Take a deep breath, type more slowly, and try again. :)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people have a hard time understanding how clueless we really are about the universe because they have been spoon fed religion all their lives.

naah, you're projecting.
They don't understand how clueless we really are about the Universe because they watch Nova and read Sagan and Dawkins.
Because SCIENCE (TM).

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard of these phenomenas. Actually I believe this happens due to the high levels of dopamine in your body during the process of dying. I think it's like being on drugs in a negative state of mind. You don't have to fear death or anything. If you feel anxious, it's best to talk to a therapist about it.
1) Don't you mean ketamine?
2) Dr. Eben Alexander (Harvard neurosurgeon) had his own near-death experience and ended up researching the topic; a book he wrote pretty much disposes of the idea that near-death experiences can be attributed to chemical influx in the brain during they dying process.

Mole

Permabanned
There is being and there is existence.

You and I are beings, while shale exists.

As beings we are aware of being and non-being.

Shale though is not aware of existing or not existing.

Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, whereas a being like you or I can be created and destroyed. And we know it.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
1) Don't you mean ketamine?
2) Dr. Eben Alexander (Harvard neurosurgeon) had his own near-death experience and ended up researching the topic; a book he wrote pretty much disposes of the idea that near-death experiences can be attributed to chemical influx in the brain during they dying process.

No I meant dopamine. There is a large release of dopamine during dying and that could cause these experiences. I haven't heard of the book before but I will maybe have a look into it.

Avalon

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=19964]Avalon[/MENTION] was their any external factors that could have preciptated your illness?

I cannot remember, although I don't think there were any. My illness manifested like numerous diseases, externally my body was severely sick, but blood tests proved that nothing was wrong with me. There were no bacterial, viral or any chemical agents present whatsoever.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Put down your bong.
An "explanation" is not SUFFICIENT evidence.
At least, that is supposed to be the grounds for choosing empiricism over, say, scholasticism, authority, or mysticism.

Either that, or you're tripping over your words in your haste to get them out.

Take a deep breath, type more slowly, and try again. :)

Wrong I'm surprised you still haven't understood how string theory provides a good explanation on how black holes and gravity work.Things that cannot be explained properly without mentioning other dimensions. Good job

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wrong I'm surprised you still haven't understood how string theory provides a good explanation on how black holes and gravity work.Things that cannot be explained properly without mentioning other dimensions. Good job
"Explanation" does not mean "Theory" or "Model" -- it's a semantic issue. Put down your bong, I repeat.

Alea_iacta_est

We exist simply because non-existence in the first person is impossible due to a paradox created by the infinite potential that comprises non-existence. (Non-existence is only achievable in the third-person reference frame provided by existence, i.e. conceptual non-existence)

Assuming that this presupposition is correct, we are here because existence operates on the foundation of circular reasoning (existence exists simply because it is impossible for existence to not exist).

xisnotx

Permabanned
My thoughts;

Ya'll are cute.

What do you mean by "the universe"? Do you mean "you"? Or do you mean "the physical universe"? Because op talks about "we" as in people...and then somehow we're talking about "the universe" as in something physical.

So, which is it? How did people come to exist in their current form? Or how did the physical earth come to exist?

Consider this; We developed each of the five senses we posses at different times in our evolution. (Guess which sense came first...?). Given that, when we talk of the "universe", we only are ever talking about "our perception of the universe". We could, and probably are, still evolving a different sense by which to perceive the universe around us. So, different "universes" (the hearing universe, the seeing universe) came existence at different times. Of course, to you, you think it's all the same universe (the same sense) (because you all just started perceiving this all at the same time) but it isn't. A blind person, or a deaf person...their "universe" is completely different. Do you get me?

This is a graph about the increase in world population. Just sayin'.

Wordl-Population.jpg

The second stage. People call it "the singularity" and think it's still to come. The singularity has been here for the last 100 years, almost. People are so myopic...

me too. never had one personally. I would so be dead a few weeks if I was guaranteed to come back to life

I've thought this before. But, what if you couldn't come back? Would you go then? If you had a choice? Or, are you one to cling on to this existence for as long as possible?

S is a good letter because it is the opened and expanded version of 8 unleashed to Everyone's Omega!

This is surprisingly funny.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My thoughts;

Ya'll are cute.

What do you mean by "the universe"? Do you mean "you"? Or do you mean "the physical universe"? Because op talks about "we" as in people...and then somehow we're talking about "the universe" as in something physical.

So, which is it? How did people come to exist in their current form? Or how did the physical earth come to exist?

everything. like how do we know what we know about the universe, and does the universe actually exist (yes I know this is a common question) and if it does what was there before?

I've thought this before. But, what if you couldn't come back? Would you go then? If you had a choice? Or, are you one to cling on to this existence for as long as possible?
I said if I was guaranteed to come back. But if I chose to stay, I would. I'm actually not one to cling to this existence for as long as possible. I'm actually not as far as I want to be and I'm approaching 30...so I might go into the after life some entity offered, even if I wasn't guaranteed on coming back. though if I did come back I'd write a book, unless there's a contract saying I can't. Probably is. but i'll know, and people won't believe me, so there's no point.