• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Intellectual Snobbery of Conspicuous Atheism

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Where would that be?

Most of my life was in rural PA.
A hippie-ish part of the Rocky Mountain west. Now I'm in the DC area. Both areas are predominantly agnostic and atheist (and in the case of DC, relaxed and dialogue-friendly Catholic and mainline Protestant).

I can see how rural PA would be anti-atheist, based on what I've heard about its religious conservatism from friends of mine who grew up there. Worth keeping in mind, though, that there's enough regional variety that when atheists get riled up, evangelistic, and anti-Christian, it's not always from a position of marginalization. Oftentimes it happens in big groups, getting into a mob mentality and acting like bullies. Regardless of past wrongs, that sort of behavior is never okay.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Where would that be?

Most of my life was in rural PA.
Yeah, it's not a good place to be less than devout. I could share at least a few stories about this. I figured this was the norm for most places in the US though and that anything different was the exception. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, it's not a good place to be less than devout. I could share at least a few stories about this. I figured this was the norm for most places in the US though and that anything different was the exception. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.
You definitely are.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_the_United_States

(would find a more credible source, but this was the best I could find on short notice.)

Worth mentioning that, IME, rural areas are always worse for those who don't fit into the "correct" demographic. Same with small companies, small schools. I went to a K-8 school with 80 students, and was one of the only Christians -- both students and teachers mocked and condescended to religion on a regular basis. I learned quickly not to bring it up. (Note: the purpose of this anecdote is to prove a point about demographics, not to make any sort of statement about oppression.)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it tough to roll out of bed in the morning and already be better than the millions who disagree?

It quite a pathetic sight when the strength of one's belief is dependent on how many others share the same conviction. Talk about intellectual weakness and moral cowardice.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i refuse to have an opinion on this topic, i'm only here to state my distaste for the context "conspicuous" is used in for the title of this thread.
i know how the author means it, and he's not wrong.

i just don't like it.
talk about intellectual snobbery.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have grown very weary of a certain kind of atheist. Their arrogance reminds me of when I was 13, and I was in my "logical" phase, where I worshipped math, thought I was smarter than everyone, and never shut up about the foolishness of those who believe in God.

At any rate, it seems very probable that Christian beliefs are wrong in a literal way, but I don't think that makes them foolish. Most Christians, seem pretty smart and normal to me. And for every weird religious creep thumping his bible, there's a neckbeard on Reddit pummelling people with Sam Harris quotes.

Ah, the Euphoric Reddit Neckbeards. About 1/2 the posts on /r/badhistory are making fun of them spouting the same old Enlightenment-Age polemics about Christianity causing "the Dark Ages".

á´…eparted

passages
Ah, the Euphoric Reddit Neckbeards. About 1/2 the posts on /r/badhistory are making fun of them spouting the same old Enlightenment-Age polemics about Christianity causing "the Dark Ages".

/r/atheism is a cesspool is bad. I wouldn't know where to start. Go to /r/trueatheism instead, it's not that bad most of the time.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
/r/atheism is a cesspool is bad. I wouldn't know where to start. Go to /r/trueatheism instead, it's not that bad most of the time.
Unfortunately the euphoria is starting to creep in to /r/trueatheism, too. :(

Mole

Permabanned
I read that the religious in the USA are happier and less neurotic than disbelievers.

And I suspect that muslims in the 57 Islamic countries are happier and less neurotic than infidels.

And I know that the North Koreans who worship their leader, Kin Jong Un, are happier, less neurotic and safer than those who harbour doubts about Kim Jong Un.