• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are your beliefs?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
these are personal to me, and what you believe or don't believe I'm not going to try and disprove because what it comes down to is it doesn't matter

I believe there is a creator, and he made the rules which is how the laws of physics, evolution, the big bang, ect are possible. I believe that he wouldn't punish someone for simply not believing in him. I also believe he has a creator who has a creator ect, but each creator created their own universe so the only creator that matters to us is the one in charge of this universe. but he takes on many different forms, ie he morphs. And this is what I believe, because I can't phathom the universe just simply existing. Which is why what you believe or don't believe in doesn't matter, because he simply doesn't care, he just has our best interest in mind. Each universe has it's own set of rules, so what applies to this universe might not apply to another. The rules can overlap, but it's the creators' vision of how an universe is or isn't

so what are your beliefs, I am curious.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I believe in a divinity bigger than I can understand which encompasses everything and which everything is a part of. Panendeism.

Charles Hartshorne said:
[Panentheism/deism] can best be understood through an analogy: just as a single organism exists both as a collection of semiautonomous, individual cells and as an autonomous individual who is more than just a collection of cells, god can be seen as both a collection of all the constituent parts of reality and as "something more" than the universe itself. Although we, along with the rest of existence, can be thought of as part of god's "body," god's mind or consciousness extends beyond that body and causes god to be more than just a collection of parts.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way...

I feel that the world should be a certain way and people should behave a certain way. I understand that me acting on those values puts me in conflict with the status quo at times, and those who disagree and who may only be wrong by my point of view. I think that my point of view on these matters are entirely a matter of nature and nurture and don't embody some sort of universal ideal.

But, I shall continue to enact my values as if they do. I think the foundations we stand on we make ourselves. I believe that the idea that there may be a higher power does not matter. Either way, our existence and everything we need to know has manifested in us and that which is before us.

Sometimes it's best not to try to make sense of everything.

93JC

I don't believe in any god nor any creation myth, but if there is one I believe that this being would be something along the lines of what you have described, Prpl. It certainly wouldn't give a damn about having worshippers, which is where the consistencies of many religions fall apart.

I think you have an enlightened view about it Prpl, even if I don't share it.

Hawbawbowba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
In the deep sea there is probably ancient intelligent life with all kindsa dark magic. Spooky stuff.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
It would be really nice to meet up in heaven but I don't think that's likely :( I don't believe there's god the creator.
It is depressing since fading into oblivion is not a comforting idea, believers have it easier in that regard.
I wonder if our faith in God is a product of our minds, an attempt rationalize our pretty random and senseless existence.
I also believe that the meaning of life is whatever meaning we give it.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
God has performed amazing signs and wonders in my life, especially since I've started loving Him, and being obedient to Him.

Give Him a chance and He will do the same for you. :)

Avalon

MBTI Type
INTP
I believe everything in the universe cannot fully be explained by science. I believe theories of the Big Bang are flawed, for something so complex as creation, simply cannot explode into being, from what? When nothing existed, energy, matter or even space. Humans weren't even around, yet we arrogantly create delusive theories, something created the universe, and all facts point to a conscious creator....

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
I believe everything in the universe cannot fully be explained by science. I believe theories of the Big Bang are flawed, for something so complex as creation, simply cannot explode into being, from what? When nothing existed, energy, matter or even space. Humans weren't even around, yet we arrogantly create delusive theories, something created the universe, and all facts point to a conscious creator....

Your understanding of what big bang theory is trying to explain flawed in my opinion. It deals with what came after the initial blast not what was before it.
In case of BB there's good deal of scientific proof that indeed some sort of explosion took place and since then cluster of galaxies are moving away from that place.
But it's a theory so it could be and probably will be improved in future, or may even turn out to be wrong in many regards. However no facts point to a conscious
creator... that's why it's called -faith- in God. Assuming you're right and a Creator did create everything, science still only deals with how it works/how it was created.
Why would that be arrogant/wrong, trying to uncover the mystery behind it?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
God has performed amazing signs and wonders in my life, especially since I've started loving Him, and being obedient to Him.

Give Him a chance and He will do the same for you. :)

I wish you wouldn't push your beliefs on others in this thread, as it was created as a place for people to share their beliefs without judgement

á´…eparted

passages
I wish you wouldn't push your beliefs on others in this thread, as it was created as a place for people to share their beliefs without judgement

Seriously. Take your passive-prostelyzing elsewhere, it's not the place for it. It only succeeds in making people made unless you do it at the right venue, and this definitely not it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
In my belief, dissonance over religious beliefs and man's desire to impose his beliefs onto others is a metaphor for a lot of human problems. Basically, I think there are many paths leading to the truth even though we might not be able to recognize them as such.

“Truth is one, but the wise men know it as many; God is one, but we can approach Him in many ways.”
― Rig Veda, 1700 BCE

But my own beliefs about "God," morality, and comfort are best summarized by this quote:

" I am the Way, and the Master who watches in silence; thy friend and thy shelter and they abode of peace. I am the beginning, the middle, and the end of all things: their seed of Eternity, their Treasure supreme".
― Bhagavad Gita, 200 BCE

Mole

Permabanned
The Passé and the Cool

Beliefs are passé, while probes are cool.

Beliefs are predigested thought, serve interests, and have a demonology.

Beliefs reveal what we know already, while probes discover what we don't know.

Beliefs are for controllers, while probes are for the creative.

Mole

Permabanned
there's good deal of scientific proof that indeed some sort of explosion took place and since then cluster of galaxies are moving away from that place.

No explosion took place, rather time and space started expanding.

In an explosion, time and space remain constant while the contents of time and space are blown apart by force.

So there was no explosion, there was and is an expansion of the fabric of time and space.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I decided to actually try to answer this question for realz.

I was raised to be a cultish Fundamentalist Christian, and I believed it all, very seriously. For most of you who don't really understand the nuances of Christian theology, my particular branch had some beliefs that set them at odds with the rest of Christendom. They did not believe in H-E-Double HockeySticks, they instead believed sinners would be destroyed in a firey pit and would experience nothing beyond death. They only believed that a select few of the good would go to Heaven, the rest would be resurrected in their physical bodies and live in a Paradise on Earth. They did not believe in the Trinity, they did not believe that Jesus was God, they believed that Jesus was just a man, but a perfect man.

When I was 15 my faith stopped making sense to me. My objections were two-fold. The first was that I was taught that God was this grand engineer, an architect. This was drilled into my head from many anti-Evolutionary studies. Those were my favorite studies, I always loved hearing about science, even bogus science. But the saviour-to-humanity path was too convoluted for my acceptance. God needed somebody to read the Bible and learn about Jesus and take the ritual of Baptism to be saved? What of those who were born before 33 AD? Who of those who lived deep in the rain forests, what of the children who died in the first hour of life? My faith had answers to all of these, all of them sounding reasonable.

But I objected to the shape of the design itself. It's convoluted, inelegant, inefficient, ungodly. And at that point in time my eyes were open to see other things in the design of nature that were of a similar failure. Vestigial tails, pinky toes, mosquitos, the diseases that are animals, viruses and bacteria.

My second objection was to God's judgements. Original sin to me seemed unconscionable. I could believe that sin was a choice given to Adam to choose, if he so wished and did. It could be a fair thing to punish Adam for being wicked, but I could not understand the decision of God to punish all of his children and his children's children. I could not understand the destruction of the world in the Flood in Noah's time. Why did God intervene then? It seemed a good time as any to have the incoming Apocalypse. Why destroy almost all of the Animals? It seemed silly, childish.

I made a decision, it's what my church would've called an act of blasphemous arrogance. I decided that many of God's actions in the Bible were not Godly. I decided that I had a better conscience, and better design skills than God did. But, me being the 4 that I was even then, I decided that I wasn't going to do what was expected of me and live my life being angry at my church. I decided instead, that if the God of the Bible that was taught to me didn't meet my standards, it must mean that God was to be found elsewhere.

I did a lot of searching. I researched many religions. I did a lot of inquiring into the nature of the universe, everything from learning the sciences to rolling up my sleeves and try to explore metaphysical realms myself. I couldn't take anybody's answers at face value, I had been tricked before, and I could see how easily others could be tricked into thinking they were right.

I had a type of double vision. I held two versions of reality in my head, one reality where the world was how I understood it with my own senses and reasoning and there was a God, and one where there was not. It was almost like a schizophrenia, and at the beginning I did feel unstable and unhinged.

But as time went on, I learned more, I understood more and those supposedly opposing views merged into each other. I'm not entirely sure that I gained answers to my questions, but the questions themselves were no longer relevant. I was able to feel confident in my conclusions. They started from two postulates that I still think are true. 1) If God wanted me to find him, he would allow me to. 2) I truly wanted to find God.

So, what I've found, what I believe, is that if I believe in God or not is not important to God himself. This was my first conclusion, it was the easy one.

The hard conclusion came next. It was trying to, from that point of view, to understand if good and bad mattered. And if so, how to tell the difference. This ends up being one of those incredibly stupid questions. It's like looking for your keys all over the house when they were in your pocket the whole time.

And, that's all I need to know to live. I'm interested in some of the particulars, but they are no longer important to me to live and to understand.