• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

Qre:us

And 'Thou shalt not' writ over the door;
So I turn'd to the Garden of Love,
That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tomb-stones where flowers should be:
And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys & desires.

And they, not knowing or aware, search for the sun, but find the Father. And embrace, as they are told.

The threat to love is not hate, but fear.

The threat to spirituality is not reason, but organised religion.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Paul decided, along with other early church fathers, to forego making the gentiles learn, and adhere to, the Law. I think this was a mistake. It ignores much of the OT, and I don't believe God is pleased about it, honestly, because it is stated throughout the Torah that "this is an everlasting covenant forever!" Jesus himself said He did not come to replace the Law, but finish it. Paul never met Jesus while He was alive. Paul made the decision to go easy on the Gentiles. Jesus Himself never said that. In fact, His whole mission was to the 'lost sheep of Israel', Jews who had fallen away from God.

Christian conceptualists take Christianity completely out of context. It is not advantageous for us to forego our Jewish roots. And whether you are Jewish by DNA or not, if you believe in the One God, and in Jesus' sacrifice for us, you are one of His Chosen Ones.

I've been confused with your focus on "the law" which is interesting but not something I've seen before. Now I understand. Are your beliefs aligned with some specific sect of Christianity or is it a personal interpretation you've laid out?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A FB friend posted a status asking people's favorite bible verses during hard times.
So anyone else got any good ones?
Deuteronomy 4 always gets me teary-eyed.

"When you are in distress and all these things have befallen you, you will return to God and hearken to His voice...For your God is a merciful God, He will not abandon you nor destroy you, and He will not forget the covenant of your forefathers that He swore to them. For ask now...from one end of heaven to the other: Has there ever been anything like this great thing, or has anything like it been heard?... From heaven He caused you to hear His voice in order to teach you...because He loved your forefathers....to drive away before you nations that are greater and mightier than you..." (Deut. 4:30-40 ish)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Trinity

I've been confused with your focus on "the law" which is interesting but not something I've seen before. Now I understand. Are your beliefs aligned with some specific sect of Christianity or is it a personal interpretation you've laid out?

There are those who call themselves 'Messianic Jews'. They believe in the Law but also the divinity of Jesus. I have been to one of their weddings. I dislike how they use the Hebrew so much in their service. Granted, they translate for the ignorant, but still. I don't really think it's necessary to cling to old languages that are not ours, nor old places, like Jerusalem. There really is nothing in the Law that says we must, and actually, there are things in the Bible about speaking clearly so everyone can understand the Word of God.

I am more of a Jewish-Christian? I like the chronology of that. It makes more sense to me, as the Hebrew roots came first and should ground us and anchor us into God's Word; then Jesus came to flesh out our tree and make us thrive. If we just cling to Jesus, we really don't have as firm a foundation as we could/would have with our deep roots, that do exist! And if we just cling to our Hebrew roots, our tree will be dry and fruitless, without Jesus' teachings and sacrifice.

God's Holy Spirit then comes to live in our beautiful tree, like birds nesting within it. And it provides shade and protection for many.

That is the Trinity. Thanks for asking. :)

Mole

Permabanned
We don't need proselytizing on Typology Central, we need to discuss the psychology of religion.

sorenx7

It's the very motto of ignorance.

Your post is really just a low degree of religious persecution. Maybe you would like going to one of the countries which engages in active physical persecution of Christians. It kind of reminds me of a book I read long ago of someone who was assigned to break up meetings of Christians. Eventually, he became ashamed of himself and became a Christian, too, though. There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and insulting her. You are guilty of the latter in this case. Since it has been done to one of my friends, it isn't something I take lightly.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your post is really just a low degree of religious persecution. Maybe you would like going to one of the countries which engages in active physical persecution of Christians. It kind of reminds me of a book I read long ago of someone who was assigned to break up meetings of Christians. Eventually, he became ashamed of himself and became a Christian, too, though. There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and insulting her. You are guilty of the latter in this case. Since it has been done to one of my friends, it isn't something I take lightly.

I don't care what position she made that statement in the service of, in this case her Christianity does not even matter, the statement itself is ludicrous and describes reasoning at its poorest. And I'll tell you, back when evolutionary psychology and polyamory were her hobby horses I suspect she still thought in that manner.

There is more in this world than anyone can expect to develop a deep understanding of. One could put what they believe to be a lot of time into understanding something and still fall very short of dedicated experts, and that leaves all the other subjects they still haven't touched. There will inevitably be things you don't understand that are definitely true and make sense. I've had a problem with math, it was a long slog for me to get to a point where I was able to get through college algebra with a B. I suppose anywhere along that way I could have said "if I don't understand this by now, math must be a bunch bullshit", instead I showed some openness and some diligence and learned it.

It's just a very unproductive way of looking at things.

Cygnus

I actually believe this is Hell. Lol. Not necessarily Type C, but sometimes yes! but how we treat each other on earth.

But I do believe God will put our souls where they deserve to be; either with Him--close to Him or far away from Him, or back here on earth for another go round. Your little mind/brain cannot know the workings of God! Suffice it to say it's probably WAY more intense and foreboding that you give it credit for being.

God is IN OUR BRAIN. He is in every cell of our body! He has the ability to influence you or leave you alone. IF science finds out the inner workings of the brain to that detail, they will find God behind it all. And, trust me, God will not like that. Nor allow it to go on for long.

Also, I was a sort-of believer, an atheist, and now am reborn into and unto God. I'm a ascetic and recluse for Him. I worship Him and delight in Him every day. IF my brain suddenly changed, it's because He flipped switches in it.

Do you see the paradox here? If all changes in us that worked toward Godliness were God's actions, he could just as easily do the same to all people and change all people to be like him.
According to you, he hasn't.

Both our arguments reason that an omnipotent God is responsible for all propensity towards Godliness. This does two things: First, it means that if not all people are Godly, God does not intend for them to be, otherwise they would be.
Second, it means that if God truly wants you, there is no escaping him.

And if to follow God means having faith, then you cannot make assumptions that you know better than God, so you should not take action in his name which he does not explicitly call for, as you are unsure if it is really for him.
But if God wanting you or not wanting you is a final decision, then what? Following a law literally is certainly not the road to salvation. But what is? If God wants you, you will do what he wants. If you do not care to take additional action, yet God still wants you, your life will be no different under all the circumstances over which you have power.

You cannot assume to know better than God, so you should not take actions in his name that he did not call for.
If you are bound to serve God, you will serve God, and it will otherwise seem no different than if you were living a regular life.

How, then, is it possible to differentiate between God-serving individuals and those who are not?

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't believe in a God, nor do I don't not believe in a God. I believe in something beyond ourselves that we cannot actually explain. It can only be demonstrated through our consciousness. We emit and retrieve eg. "God" through our consciousness.

The universe to me, is God. It's there, it's beyond what we can ever possibly fathom. It's energy. It's expanding, evolving, it's a totality, and we are a very small fraction of its happenings.

:)

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I don't believe in a God, nor do I don't not believe in a God. I believe in something beyond ourselves that we cannot actually explain. It can only be demonstrated through our consciousness. We emit and retrieve eg. "God" through our consciousness.

The universe to me, is God. It's there, it's beyond what we can ever possibly fathom. It's energy. It's expanding, evolving, it's a totality, and we are a very small fraction of its happenings.

:)

No arguments there.

MBTI Type
INTJ

No.

As Magic Poriferan pointed out, her statement is demonstrative of willful ignorance regardless of whether she is talking about religion, math, or directions in a foreign language. Even so, any number of rigorous scholars in the history of Christianity would find that statement appalling.

That said, "persecution" of the curious brand of Christianity demonstrated in this thread isn't an attack; it's a counterattack. You can't throw a punch and then step back and say we all need to respect each other.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you see the paradox here? If all changes in us that worked toward Godliness were God's actions, he could just as easily do the same to all people and change all people to be like him.
According to you, he hasn't.

Both our arguments reason that an omnipotent God is responsible for all propensity towards Godliness. This does two things: First, it means that if not all people are Godly, God does not intend for them to be, otherwise they would be.
Second, it means that if God truly wants you, there is no escaping him.

And if to follow God means having faith, then you cannot make assumptions that you know better than God, so you should not take action in his name which he does not explicitly call for, as you are unsure if it is really for him.
But if God wanting you or not wanting you is a final decision, then what? Following a law literally is certainly not the road to salvation. But what is? If God wants you, you will do what he wants. If you do not care to take additional action, yet God still wants you, your life will be no different under all the circumstances over which you have power.

You cannot assume to know better than God, so you should not take actions in his name that he did not call for.
If you are bound to serve God, you will serve God, and it will otherwise seem no different than if you were living a regular life.

How, then, is it possible to differentiate between God-serving individuals and those who are not?

I totally do not understand what you are trying to say.

God is in us, dormant or not, as He wishes.

But we can draw close to Him and He can enter us more fully, become enlivened in us, and cause us to awaken. This depends on our free will to do so.

The more we allow Him in, open to Him, and not close to Him, the more we can become like Jesus, which should be the goal of every Christian on earth.

Alea_iacta_est

I totally do not understand what you are trying to say.

God is in us, dormant or not, as He wishes.

But we can draw close to Him and He can enter us more fully, become enlivened in us, and cause us to awaken. This depends on our free will to do so.

The more we allow Him in, open to Him, and not close to Him, the more we can become like Jesus, which should be the goal of every Christian on earth.
[MENTION=20944]Nihilogen[/MENTION] is trying to illustrate a paradox that suggests that if God wanted everyone to be godly, [nongenger third person pronoun] would have made them so; therefore, you shouldn't try and win over others who God has specifically created to be ungodly. (at least that's my interpretation of it)

Also, I was discussing function archetypes on another thread, and I can say with accuracy that you are most likely an ISFJ who experienced or is experiencing your daemon (hence your mistype as a type with your daemon as the hero).

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=20944]Nihilogen[/MENTION] is trying to illustrate a paradox that suggests that if God wanted everyone to be godly, [nongenger third person pronoun] would have made them so; therefore, you shouldn't try and win over others who God has specifically created to be ungodly.

If that's what he meant, he's wrong, because that's not a paradox. It's discounting the value of free will. If you make someone love you, they don't really love you. You need to give them the option not to love you for there to be any value. I don't like what AGA has been saying in this thread, but we need to use better reasoning than her if we want to claim the high ground.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Also, I was discussing function archetypes on another thread, and I can say with accuracy that you are most likely an ISFJ who experienced or is experiencing your daemon (hence your mistype as a type with your daemon as the hero).

Very interesting.