• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

gromit

likes this
I like it... To an extent. I definitely agree that our purpose in life is to serve in some way. However, I disagree with the idea that we will always be glad to do it. I know people who have been called to things for a season that they have not enjoyed. I think the idea that God wants us to be happy always is a dangerous one that has lead some people to make poor choices.

Haha... yeah I know what you mean.... I guess I like that it talks about gladness, bc I think a lot of religious rhetoric talks so much about self denial and all that sort of stuff, which is fine when the case calls for it, but I do think that joy and gladness is often neglected as a virtue.... from a religious perspective at least.

And I would say that there actually is a great hunger in the world for joy, gladness, sincere warmth... even if it is only in the lives of a few people... that is making a difference :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, I don't know. I believe she's sincere and that she really is a strong advocate against child abuse. It's the insane bureaucracy of this whole thing that's mind boggling to me. It's analogous to defending one of those old timey laws like "ducks must wear long pants on Sunday" just because it's the law without examining whether it's a good law or not.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "all God's laws are good because they're God's." :dry:

I Love the Law of God. And it has nothing to do with ducks wearing pants. Silly. Animals are made to serve us and be obedient to us, as we are made to be obedient to God. Though men are not supposed to wear women's clothing, nor women men's clothing.

I've gone through the Law thoroughly, and it's quite beautiful, loving, and beneficial; a wonderful guidebook for life.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I Love the Law of God. And it has nothing to do with ducks wearing pants. Silly. Animals are made to serve us and be obedient to us, as we are made to be obedient to God. Though men are not supposed to wear women's clothing, nor women men's clothing.

Jesus_facepalm.jpg

á´…eparted

passages
Animals are made to serve us and be obedient to us.

Go in a cage with a tiger, and I think you'll change your tune on this quite quickly.

Though men are not supposed to wear women's clothing, nor women men's clothing.

You, or some unprovable book does not get to decide this, and thank god it isn't this way.

What would happen if you gave birth to a boy who gender identified with woman and wanted to dress in girls clothing? Because if you said no, then you're messed up and will succeed in just harming the child. Countless studies have determined that forcing someone to side with one gender over another is psychologically damaging.

Beorn

Permabanned
Point here is that you can be a victim and still sin. You can sin unintentionally. You can sin intentionally. And you can sin presumptuously. All these are ways a person can sin. Children sin!

Those things after the first statement are true, but they do not support the preceding statement and implication.

You can't be forced to sin as any force takes away moral culpability. And I'm not willing to entertain any perceptions of child abuse as anything other than adult forcing themselves on a child.

Incidentally Augustine is helpful here:

"And thus, so long as the soul keeps this firmness of purpose which sanctifies even the body, the violence done by another's lust makes no impression on this bodily sanctity, which is preserved intact by one's own persistent continence."

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Go in a cage with a tiger, and I think you'll change your tune on this quite quickly.

You, or some unprovable book does not get to decide this, and thank god it isn't this way.

What would happen if you gave birth to a boy who gender identified with woman and wanted to dress in girls clothing? Because if you said no, then you're messed up and will succeed in just harming the child. Countless studies have determined that forcing someone to side with one gender over another is psychologically damaging.

I do not believe in the organic genesis of gender dysfunction, and I'm pretty sure science has not proven it. I believe gender dysfunction comes from childhood trauma and issues associated with environment.

I think it's important for children who identify as the opposite gender to get as much therapy as possible as the youngest age possible to rectify the situation.

Cygnus

Do you have scriptures to support that assertion?

I don't need scriptures, ISTJ. God is love. The whole purpose of Jesus was to turn people away from the old ways and into NF-style (more deontological imho) thinking, with a LOVE OF YOUR FELLOW MAN as the base principle. No love, no heaven, rules or no rules. Truly love, you'll obey the rules and get to heaven.

I don't know how to explain it, but it just isn't right to hold the victim guilty of a crime. The child had no malicious intent, so how was he sinning?

You're starting to sound awfully dogmatic for INFJ.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those things after the first statement are true, but they do not support the preceding statement and implication.

You can't be forced to sin as any force takes away moral culpability. And I'm not willing to entertain any perceptions of child abuse as anything other than adult forcing themselves on a child.

Incidentally Augustine is helpful here:

"And thus, so long as the soul keeps this firmness of purpose which sanctifies even the body, the violence done by another's lust makes no impression on this bodily sanctity, which is preserved intact by one's own persistent continence."

I infer that to mean that the child is still innocent, and should be viewed as such. But the Law was broken, and when the Law is broken, intentionally or not, sin has occurred.

Beorn

Permabanned
Haha... yeah I know what you mean.... I guess I like that it talks about gladness, bc I think a lot of religious rhetoric talks so much about self denial and all that sort of stuff, which is fine when the case calls for it, but I do think that joy and gladness is often neglected as a virtue.... from a religious perspective at least.

And I would say that there actually is a great hunger in the world for joy, gladness, sincere warmth... even if it is only in the lives of a few people... that is making a difference :)

Heh. Joy is mentioned in the very first question in my denomination's catechism.

Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. To glorify God and enjoy him forever.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do not believe in the organic genesis of gender dysfunction, and I'm pretty sure science has not proven it. I believe gender dysfunction comes from childhood trauma and issues associated with environment.

I think it's important for children who identify as the opposite gender to get as much therapy as possible as the youngest age possible to rectify the situation.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. There have been children who before the age of two show signs of identifying with the opposite gender. One such child(biologically female) was threatening to kill himself at 5 if he was forced to wear skirts and be a girl. As far as I am aware there isn't any research correlating gender dysfunction with childhood trauma either.

Beorn

Permabanned
I infer that to mean that the child is still innocent, and should be viewed as such. But the Law was broken, and when the Law is broken, intentionally or not, sin has occurred.

You cannot sin and be innocent at the same time. That's irrational.

Cygnus

Hello, the RAPIST IS THE ONE GUILTY OF SIN.

Anyway, how much of the Scripture are we certain wasn't mistranslated. (sorry for the anger)

á´…eparted

passages

WOW! You're amount of fucked up WRONG beliefs keeps increasing!

Does it MATTER if genetics or environment controls gender identification? No, it doesn't.

Therapy for gender identification, which is a parallel (and actually more extreme) than sexual orientation conversion therapy has been shown to be harmful, and science, the american psychological association has declared that it IS harmful, and they do not condone it.

It is people like you who do not deserve to walk on this planet. Your entire system of beliefs is damaging, offensive to science and society, and it needs to stop.

Ooooh. Let's see. I happen to be a gay man. What do you happen to say about that? By all means fuel my fire. I am just getting started.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds fairly anecdotal and difficult to prove.

People who are gay swear they are 'made' that way as well. But there is no proof of that being organic either. However, you can usually identify a dysfunctional relationship with the parent of the same gender.

No matter. The important thing is that God is TOLERANT OF OUR CHOICES.

It's just that you are probably not going to live up to your fullest potential breaking His Law and ignoring His guidance. He made us, and He knows what is best for us.

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=6336]AphroditeGoneAwry[/MENTION] is either a troll laughing her/his ass off right now, or is a completely deluded rule-follower with no sense of independent thought.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sounds fairly anecdotal and difficult to prove.

People who are gay swear they are 'made' that way as well. But there is no proof of that being organic either. However, you can usually identify a dysfunctional relationship with the parent of the same gender.

That is the essence of anecdotal. But more importantly it's NOT supported by research. It's oversimplification, confirmation bias, and just plain inaccurate. Twin studies have shown a biological component to homosexuality.