• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

brainwashed into thinking looking a certain way is the only way to make it through

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
life?

I mean obviously it's true now, but maybe it wasn't before like I wonder if we're conditioned to only judge based on appearances? and those appearances have to fall within a certain spectrum and if they don't you're screwed. I'm gonna just become a hermit and not talk to anyone.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Our society is extremely superficial, Im only beginning to realize now just how. Its all about competition and superficial shit, I mean was the last time something even remotely profound, interesting or thought provoking was popular?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Our society is extremely superficial, Im only beginning to realize now just how. Its all about competition and superficial shit, I mean was the last time something even remotely profound, interesting or thought provoking was popular?

I don't even know, before I had conscious awareness of the world.

EricF

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5W6
Yeah, that's how things are now and have been for 1000s of years, but guess what?
We can change all of that and it is already changing. I think it's important for everyone to be as open-minded and accepting as possible and behave in a way that benefits as many people as possible.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Judging based on looks is only superficial depending on how you use the information. There is a lot you can tell about a person by looking at them, their choice or non choice of clothes, chewed fingernails, a toe ring, an engagement band, a pair of New Balance sneakers, a frayed hoodie. All these things can speak volumes about a person's values, priorities and self-identification.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Judging based on looks is only superficial depending on how you use the information. There is a lot you can tell about a person by looking at them, their choice or non choice of clothes, chewed fingernails, a toe ring, an engagement band, a pair of New Balance sneakers, a frayed hoodie. All these things can speak volumes about a person's values, priorities and self-identification.

what if there values are leave me the fuck alone, i don't wanna be your friend? I'm not saying that about you, just in general aka most people

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Huh. Neither I nor any of my friends base judgments on people's experiences. We unanimously think that's a shallow, laughable mindset and don't even particularly care if it is done to us. Seems like a bunch of worrying about nothing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what if there values are leave me the fuck alone, i don't wanna be your friend? I'm not saying that about you, just in general aka most people

Umm, I suggest a leather jacket, a mohawk and a bracelet made out of razor blades.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
life?

I mean obviously it's true now, but maybe it wasn't before like I wonder if we're conditioned to only judge based on appearances? and those appearances have to fall within a certain spectrum and if they don't you're screwed. I'm gonna just become a hermit and not talk to anyone.
I think we've got some level of xenophobia hardwired in as well as an innate aversion to physical abnormalities. It was probably functional when it developed. Not as much now, but it takes time for that stuff to fade out.

In the meantime, looking like people expect you to look as much as lies within your power is a relatively low-effort way to get points in social whatever. My dad once told me he could get away with a lot more stuff when he was in the Marines, if he just followed all the rules about how he was supposed to look, which wasn't actually that hard. It's like camouflage, so I use it to my advantage when I can and something is worth the effort.

It's shallow, but really, when someone first meets you, all they have to go on is what you look like, so that's what they are going to make judgements about.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think we've got some level of xenophobia hardwired in as well as an innate aversion to physical abnormalities. It was probably functional when it developed. Not as much now, but it takes time for that stuff to fade out.

In the meantime, looking like people expect you to look as much as lies within your power is a relatively low-effort way to get points in social whatever. My dad once told me he could get away with a lot more stuff when he was in the Marines, if he just followed all the rules about how he was supposed to look, which wasn't actually that hard. It's like camouflage, so I use it to my advantage when I can and something is worth the effort.

It's shallow, but really, when someone first meets you, all they have to go on is what you look like, so that's what they are going to make judgements about.

this is true, i guess. Because now that i think about it when I see a girl in a slutty outfit wearing heals I think "I'm going to hate her"

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
this is true, i guess. Because now that i think about it when I see a girl in a slutty outfit wearing heals I think "I'm going to hate her"
Yeah. We all probably do it to some degree. Like, I see someone riding a bike down the road. If they are wearing a helmet and spandex, I think they are some kind of yuppy. If I see a youngish person in black pants and black tennis shoes, I think it's someone who can't afford a car on their way to work. If I see an older guy looking a bit unkempt, I think it's someone who got enough DUIs to get his license pulled.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Unfortunately it's true and the media aren't helping...

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. We all probably do it to some degree. Like, I see someone riding a bike down the road. If they are wearing a helmet and spandex, I think they are some kind of yuppy.

Or just doing their workout.

If I see a youngish person in black pants and black tennis shoes, I think it's someone who can't afford a car on their way to work. If I see an older guy looking a bit unkempt, I think it's someone who got enough DUIs to get his license pulled.

Lol sometimes I get really surprised at these quick judgements... usually at their inaccuracy :p

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Or just doing their workout.
Right, but who works out and who can afford to have special, fairly expensive clothes for just one purpose?
Lol sometimes I get really surprised at these quick judgements... usually at their inaccuracy :p
Maybe it depends where you live. I know people in both situations and it's fairly accurate for my area: an economically depressed midsized city in the midwestern united states.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right, but who works out and who can afford to have special, fairly expensive clothes for just one purpose?

I didn't think they were that expensive :) Clearly a lot less expensive than a car or whatever. Meaning, basically anybody who has a car too - which is basically anyone in the US right - can afford such clothes.

But alright call me a yuppie too if you want :D And no, I'm not one of them. You'd have a really hard time correctly categorizing me. :)

OK, my real point is, I'm not into making assumptions without actual experience with the specific person. Perhaps because I'm so atypical myself.

Maybe it depends where you live. I know people in both situations and it's fairly accurate for my area: an economically depressed midsized city in the midwestern united states.

Guess our opinions on what "fairly accurate" means differ ;)