• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you gain / switch or lose your religion

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Who are these enemies of yours?

Also, I am glad you used the word 'sent' instead of 'sends' because -

View attachment 14716

Please ignore my english mistakes..

Anything evil is described as "devil", as an adjective used for anything that harms anyone.
As you know quran has the same massage of taith as in's masi7's bible, musa's tawrat, adam's and all the other prophetss sent before, each with a spesific style to fit for a specific era, as to excute justice.

However, when the past eras ended, those messages got corrupted, becauae humans forgot it's basics and princples, got lost with the aspect, they started misunderstanding it and corrupt the origional moralities, they replaced them with stupid superstitions and so on.

One of the terms which got mistakingly used was "devil". Now adays people think it's a kind of creation, like humans, which is entierly incorrect. In Quran, Allah reminds humans, corrects this like most of other things. Showing that humans can be devil too, meaning devil is a term, a characteristic to represent an evil person/thing.

In Islam hygien rules, devil can be bacterias, however all what can a devil do is to make you forget, forget faith, it's just a distraction, it's not even a threat.
Hallucinations, stress, sickness are all devil, it makes you have less energy, thus you wont be positive to achive basic levels of faith, imagen a city with no foundation.

However it is true that "jin" or "genes" exist, we don't see the they see us, they can be faithful or devil (evil), they can be harmful or harmless, but again nothing affects a faithful person.
You can clearly see why if you consider "chakras".
Just follow islam and you'll be surely protected.

Now, the memory loss thing isn't even a problem when Quran is a "thikr" meaning it's a reminder, when you read it, you'll remember.
I do use that, whenever I forgot what I studied during tests, I say "bism-el-la" it means "In the name of allah" this is what you have to say at the begining of every verse.

Once you follow Islam you wont have enemies. With out it humans are lost.
The prophet muhammad (peace upon him and all the nessengers) described himself like a man calling people who are attracted to the fire like bugs. You're shown the path, the right way, and the truth.

I realised I used a lot of "and". I don't want to go through it and edit it, it came to me like that, because that's what we all know.

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
a change in my basic psychological makeup... I'm not sure that as the person I am I would be inclined to worship a deity even if I met one and had a nice chat over lunch that they'd summoned from thin air.

wishing that something were possible doesn't make it so

This is exactly how I feel. It doesn't really matter to me if a god exists or not, it wouldn't change my behavior. I have no interest in worshiping or praying to anyone. I don't care how benevolent or righteous that being may be.

I remember being in church and certain prayers required the congregation's participation. The responses were usually about how unworthy we were, how we're lost sheep and need to be guided. That was probably one of the biggest cracks in my belief. The kind of god that requires me to prostrate myself at their feet is not a god I want anything to do with.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
- Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief?

Um, I guess lost. I don't really know? Almsot everyone on both sides of my family is religion (Christian or Catholic), except for my dad and his 2 siblings. My mom's kinda lazy so she didn't actually bring me or my sister to church all that often. My dad never went with us when we did go. Since I was kinda/sorta raised with the intention to adopt the same religious beliefs, but as an adult do not share them, I guess that would qualify as "lost".

- What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)

From Christianity to None. I don't consider myself an atheist or even agnostic. I just... really... don't care. I couldn't care less. I don't even want any kind of religious label other than "None."

- In all honesty what do you think were the main factors in that process?

I don't think I could honestly say that I'd probably have been more "socialized" into having the same beliefs as my mom had she taken us to church more often. I don't think it really matters. Once I was old enough and thought about it for myself and came to my own conclusions, that was that. I also don't have the same political views as either of my parents. So, thinking for myself, I guess?

I hope this doesn't come off as hating on people who are born into a religion and stick with it. I'm really not trying to imply that they can't think for themselves. They definitely can.

- If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief?

100% indisputable objective proof with absolutely no room for misinterpretation. An example of what that would look like, I couldn't say.

sink

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I was raised Catholic through my childhood. I wouldn't say there ever was a time when I was a firm believer to begin with, I decided that I was an atheist when I was 7 years old. Perhaps from more juvenile decisions back then, but still. I recall being in the hospital, diagnosed with an autoimmune and there was a moment where I thought "What have I done to deserve this?". Back then I thought if there was a God, he must be very cruel. That's how it started.

It was hard to break it to my family that I didn't wish to attend mass anymore. I rebelled for a long time before they gave in. In my teenage years, when my critical thinking developed more, it made no sense to me why there would be a "higher being". Religion, however, to me was clear why and how it started out. Once I understood that it was a social construct, I completely rejected the notion of religion. I don't think anything could convince me of the existence of a deity at this point.

If people need some artificial hope to cling onto in the form of a religion, it doesn't bother me at all. If they use it to better themselves, good for them. As long as they don't try to shove it down my throat. I also wish parents wouldn't make their children practice their religion. Teaching their child about religions and letting them decide for themselves whether they're religious or not is a different thing though.

Pinker85

Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief?

What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)

Wait, what r the instructions? lmao ... but no, ugh, I don't know what I am, I guess agnostic. I grew up Mormon.

In all honesty what do you think were the main factors in that process?

I was 7-8 years old, sitting in the big banyan tree in the church courtyard, having skipped out on class once again ... I looked up into the sky through the branches and knew I didn't believe. But it was like a number of things, like I had one sunday school teacher and she was like, well, the gays are going to hell ... and I just thought, no, I don't believe this, God is love. I knew that whatever made the universe had to be loving. I knew that if there was a God he would never condemn anyone to what I had heard hell was. But I think more so it was cause church was three hours long ... that's too long and the benches were wooden and if there had been more chips, cheesy dip, and lazyboys involved, I may well still be religious to this day.

If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief? A feeling that I believed. Also nothing lights up my heart quite like the word refreshments and cushiony couches, so maybe that too ... :D

LonestarCowgirl

The simple answer is I was baptized with the Holy Spirit and it changed my life forever. I don't have time now to explain. I've written a little more about my experience in other threads.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust You,
how I've proved You o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus.

I once was lost, but now I'm found.
:nerd::spindance:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The simple answer is I was baptized with the Holy Spirit and it changed my life forever. I don't have time now to explain. I've written a little more about my experience in other threads.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust You,
how I've proved You o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus.

I once was lost, but now I'm found.
:nerd::spindance:
Were you raised in your current faith, or did you choose it as an adult?

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)

If you believe what would it take for you to lose that belief?

If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief?

feel free to add questions to that list
cheers!:)

I see you're so interested in this kind of subjects [emoji1]
I can give some answers here they are

-I gained a religious belief..

-I was stuck somewhere in between atheism and religion, but now I find myself more of a religious person

-Curiosity, critical thinking, and basically being open to all opinions

If you believe what would it take for you to lose that belief?
-when I try to put God into some sort of specific context if that make sense, and make expectations that he should meet.. Like thinking that God is basically serving me and suppose to do things the way that I think or feel is good for me or for the world..

If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief?
Well I think if I was in a really big trouble (like a gross injustice) where all my possible logic solutions that I've tried do not seem to work in any possible way, I have two options:
1. Collapse dramatically and just shutdown, might lose my mind or even commit suicide..
2. Be strong and hoping and (believing) that a greater power would put an end for my suffering, and if I died as a result and the people responsible were not ever punished, this greater power would judge and punish them and do them exactly what they did to me, and maybe make it up for me in a better place, that belief would relief me and make get over my pains somehow..
The second option obviously is were I practically gain a faith [emoji56]
I hope it was helpful have a wonderful day [emoji178]

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
l. It has made my thinking SO much clearer. I stopped coloring everything in false logic, stopped wishing things to be true, and actually put mental effort into things I usually woudln't because of a spiritual crutch. Being in school helped all of this come to be because the kind of work I do required very very rigorous thinking. It was a matter of time before that kind of thinking leaked into other aspects of my life. In essence, my brain could no longer hide from itself, idealism broke.

Hello from another ENFJ [emoji137]🏻
I'm kinda touched when I read your story you've been through a tough childhood, I can understand that, I myself have been through very unstable childhood and teenage years.. That's just life I guess
I hope future will bring you the best you wish for[emoji255]
Well Your story is kind of similar to mine, I had no one to take care of me when I was child, my father is out, my mother is always locking herself in the room reading religion books and when she sits with me, she doesn't care AT ALL of how I'm doing in life (except for some aspects that would not make my father think she's not doing her job) so all she talk about was the usual boring religious stuff, like the power that I could gain if I was a true believer, and that God would make that coffee table move for me if he just knew I was believing him,and as a 7 years old kid, I couldn't buy any of these cartoonish myths , but any way.. I sit down in my room and closed my eyes, and tried to bring up all my believing power to force that night-stand to come to me "I command you by the power of God to come to me" I said [emoji28][emoji85] that's not how it works you know hahaha.. That's when I started to think the religion was a bluff, so yeah I can understand what you're aiming at and you couldn't be more right [emoji4]

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I grew up in a very religious home. I had many bad experiences both in life and at church. All these things added up and now I'm not religious at all. I would like to believe, but just can't. I think when the lights go out that's it. :mellow:

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was born catholic in a very free spirit family, then I thought to be athée, I decided I'd be agnostic because I could feel some

forces I could not explain and because I was considering religion only wanted to extend their own power over individuals.

Today I assume the fact that I am a buddhist (I do practice the japonese one).

I was looking for some inner thruths and I'm glad as it helps me focusing more on my own goals, my own feelings, and paying attention to what must be really important to me.

I precise I'm not an asian girl and bouddhism is a choice for more freedom, vitality, self-confidence and more "fair generosity".

Meditation will not force you to prey on your knees in front of a cross where a man has had his wrists pierced, but also where, probably as a kind of decoration I suppose...

in the center of this same cross we can find his crown full of spines and blood _I guess it was fashionable at this time too_

:rock::ack!::wacko::freaked:

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was raised by fairly non-religious parents. My father was raised Catholic and my mother Christian, but neither really practiced these beliefs except on Easter and Christmas. No one ever really told me what to believe. I went to church here and there growing up, but never really learned much about God.

In high school I experienced such overwhelming depression and anxiety that I had to leave after the first few weeks of 9th grade to be home-schooled. I was hospitalized in 10th grade. Throughout this time I felt so lost--words really can't describe how lost I felt. When I think about it now, I can't even describe who I was then. I was almost...nothing, really. Like I barely existed. Throughout this time I spent day after day scouring the public library for information on every religion I could find. I knew something was missing, and I was trying to find it. I researched Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism--essentially every major religion there was to read about, among others. I'd find bits and pieces of thoughts and concepts that touched me, but nothing felt completely true.

Eventually, I found myself at a youth group that began showing me what people who had given their lives to God really looked like. Then, through some pretty "coincidental" relationships, I found a church home where people actually looked like Jesus simply in the way they treated others. I learned who Jesus really is, and why He matters, and what He did for me and that it's real, and finally the hole I'd been trying to fill for so many years found what it had been missing. My Savior.

I was baptized when I was 18, and since then have not looked back. The life that I live now as God's child is so enormously better than the life I had before, it's hard to describe. There's actual reason for hope now. Even when everything SUCKS, I can trust that God is with me and as long as I stay with Him, eventually I will be in a place where there is no more suffering or pain. It's the only thing that gets me through some days. And really the only thing that matters.

I'm still figuring out how to have a close relationship with God, now practicing it through meditation and stillness, things I've never been good at. It's a process. But I can say that through the experiences I've had since becoming a Christian, nothing could take my faith from me. Things have happened to me that, if my faith were going to be lost, it would have been already. Now that I've come to know God, there's no denying His existence anymore.

If anyone has any other questions about my faith or anything, feel free to ask.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If anyone has any other questions about my faith or anything, feel free to ask.
What did your family think about your spiritual discoveries?

What do you see as the next step on your faith journey?

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What did your family think about your spiritual discoveries?

All in all they were very supportive. My mom always said she was just glad that I found a faith that was my own. I changed a lot the first few years after becoming a Christian, and I think it was a little harder for my middle sister to get on board with it. She kind of pushed and tested me, almost like she was trying to see how real the change was. At this point though, they've all done Bible studies with me at some point and when they visit me they always come to church with me as well, never by force. They all seem genuinely interested, I think because they see what a huge difference it made in my life and how much happier I've been since I found God.

What do you see as the next step on your faith journey?

Hm, great question. Well, part of the reason I'm even on this forum is because I'm trying to find myself. A bunch of changes, good and bad, occurred in my life at once recently and in them I was hit with the overwhelming realization that I have no idea who I really am when I separate myself from everyone else. So I think the next big hurdle in my journey is learning who I am in God. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, partially because I'm not even sure. I just know that God knows me better than I know myself, and I want to know who I am in Him rather than who I am with my husband, or my mom, or my sister, or whoever. Because if I can discover who I am in my Creator, then I'll be discovering who I truly am. And I know it'll give me a sense of peace and stability like I've never known, if I can just get to it.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
was born/raised Christian...now i don't give a fuck...i'm a general non-theist, though religion or God imho is unknowable.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I lost mine when it fell in the toilet and I accidentally flushed it.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I never had a religion, but I used to believe in God. Now I'm agnostic, but I think there could be some sort of being that created humans. It's just hard for me to have a solid belief in any spiritual thing, but they are desirable.