• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a certain type that is attracted to religion and serving religious causes?

What types favor religion? Are there some that get really religious?

• Total voters

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What? I'm sorry, I dont understand this remark and until I do I think I'm to stop discussing things with you. See how it might change things.

what :laugh:?

Lark

You guys are more obvious trolls than ever now that there's less people visiting the forum or bothering to stick around.

I guess you must like it that way. It must work for you.

Carry on without me. :bye:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You guys are more obvious trolls than ever now that there's less people visiting the forum or bothering to stick around.

I guess you must like it that way. It must work for you.

Carry on without me. :bye:

Lark, did you blow a fuse or something. I answered your post, thought you raised some cogent points and asked for elaboration on some others, there was no trolling involved. what are you talking about and who is 'you guys'. There's only one of me.

Jaguar

What? I'm sorry, I dont understand this remark and until I do I think I'm to stop discussing things with you. See how it might change things.

He was merely joking about your use of Bertrand Russell. A so-called 'big gun'. It was a joke. Get it?

Mole

Permabanned
The work of all religions is not evidence and reason, freedom and equality, but entrancement.

We long to be free from the claims of evidence and reason, we long to be entranced.

Fortunately in the modern world we have many choices for our entrancement, from TV to the gymnasium, from junk food to smoking, from driving to cruise ships, from novels to sport, from power politics to warfare, and many other entrancements. Our traditional entrancement is religion. And religions have honed their ability to entrance over centuries using the best artists and musicians. For instance, the Mass is exquisitely designed to induce a trance in the parishioners.

And naturally we hate those who seek to wake us from our entrancement.

Lark

The work of all religions is not evidence and reason, freedom and equality, but entrancement.

We long to be free from the claims of evidence and reason, we long to be entranced.

Fortunately in the modern world we have many choices for our entrancement, from TV to the gymnasium, from junk food to smoking, from driving to cruise ships, from novels to sport, from power politics to warfare, and many other entrancements. Our traditional entrancement is religion. And religions have honed their ability to entrance over centuries using the best artists and musicians. For instance, the Mass is exquisitely designed to induce a trance in the parishioners.

And naturally we hate those who seek to wake us from our entrancement.

That's SO Jungian.

Jaguar

99929b37eac47a8f6fa224dca9546113.gif
99929b37eac47a8f6fa224dca9546113.gif

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, I felt I had a great insight when I realised the work of religion is entrancement.

So then I started to learn about trance. I started with the book "From Magic to Technology" by Dennis Wier, which hypothesises a Trance Theory, and I attended a class by the Sports' Psychologist, John Turnbull, at the Australian National University in the practical use of trance.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
All types are able to value religion. But not in the same way. I still think religious people may have a tendency to act like they had their reverse traits sometimes. I mean, Sensing types acting like Intuitives or such.

My traits are E, N, F and J. And I think acting like I, S, T and P sometimes is good for me. But I still think I'm an ENFJ.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think another thing. Pessimistic types (468's) are those who're the most able to select the "sacred" things. They see the most beautiful things and are very sensitive to the least evil.

Shadow Play

The following data is sourced from CAPT, which promotes MBTI research. Take note of two things before taking this data as gospel: one, the statistics are sourced from the USA, which is a fairly religious country as opposed to a highly irreligious country such as Estonia, and two, there's a considerable difference between saying you are religious and actually making religion the central focus of your life.

The top ranking types who said they definitely did not believe in a higher power were:
INTJ (23.1%)
ENTJ (14.6%)
INTP (11.1%)
ISTP (9.9%)

The top ranking types who said they were "not sure" were:
ISTP (19.2%)
INTP (16.2%)
ENTP (14.6%)
ENTJ (14.6%)

The top ranking types who said they did believe in a higher power were:
ENFJ (91.4%)
ESFJ (90.2%)
ENFP (89.8%)
ISFJ (89.7%)

So, it seems that F and J contribute the most to religiosity, while N and T contribute the most to irreligiosity. Between the NTs, the NTJs were more decisive about not believing in a higher power, whereas the NTPs tended more towards agnosticism.

As for the FJs, religious occupations were ranked highest on preferred occupations for INFJ, followed by ENFJ.

I think NFPs would have an above average tendency towards religious beliefs, but unlike NFJs, their beliefs would tend more towards a looser spiritual framework that doesn't necessarily view one religion as more true than the other. There would be a greater emphasis on "personal truths". A lot of the new age crowd would fall under the NFP label.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The following data is sourced from CAPT, which promotes MBTI research. Take note of two things before taking this data as gospel: one, the statistics are sourced from the USA, which is a fairly religious country as opposed to a highly irreligious country such as Estonia, and two, there's a considerable difference between saying you are religious and actually making religion the central focus of your life.

The top ranking types who said they definitely did not believe in a higher power were:
INTJ (23.1%)
ENTJ (14.6%)
INTP (11.1%)
ISTP (9.9%)

The top ranking types who said they were "not sure" were:
ISTP (19.2%)
INTP (16.2%)
ENTP (14.6%)
ENTJ (14.6%)

The top ranking types who said they did believe in a higher power were:
ENFJ (91.4%)
ESFJ (90.2%)
ENFP (89.8%)
ISFJ (89.7%)

So, it seems that F and J contribute the most to religiosity, while N and T contribute the most to irreligiosity. Between the NTs, the NTJs were more decisive about not believing in a higher power, whereas the NTPs tended more towards agnosticism.

As for the FJs, religious occupations were ranked highest on preferred occupations for INFJ, followed by ENFJ.

I think NFPs would have an above average tendency towards religious beliefs, but unlike the NFJs, their beliefs would tend more towards a looser spiritual framework that doesn't necessarily view one religion as more true than the other. There would be a greater emphasis on "personal truths". A lot of the new age crowd would fall under the NFP label.

Religiosity is not equal to belief in god(s).

Polka

Most of the NPs in my life seem to be in the same boat with with me- being very against religion.

I think it has to do with conformity, and it's tough to generalize MBTI with religiosity, because we're all developing in our own ways, and some people are so conditioned by their own environments, it's hard for them to truly express their full potential, so matters of critical thinking go out the door, as it's discouraged to question religion.

They only religion that encourages one to question even its very own premises (if you can call it a religion, and in some instances people have tried to make it a religion when it's generally more secular, overall, as a whole) is Buddhism.

Personally, I'm not very religious at all, and experienced serious indoctrination from the time I was born up until Catechism in high school. Forced Sunday schools still did not convince me, nor did it help me to gain more respect for religion, and actually worked in reverse. I believe in a higher power, if you call it spirituality or something 'out there' we cannot fathom within our own 5 senses, but intuitively, there is something much greater than what humans can pin point as the meaning of our existence. It doesn't require a religion to be felt, and it's not like a supreme being out there, but more of a collective unconsciousness that unifies us all, as we're just tiny droplets in a vast expansive ocean of mystery.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
According to the statistics in the MBTI manual, some types are more likely to be religious than others. INTPs, for instance, scored higher on agnostic or athiest. I don't know which type(s) were the most likely to be religious, but I suppose it would also depend upon the culture or region in which they collect data.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oooof I saw a puny me in the past who didn't have a sure feeling they were an Fi user.

I hear a lot of debate on religious vs. spiritual and I think over time I've come to understand, as my mother also says there's "religious" people and then there's believers.

Religious people worship their church. Don't take me wrong here. They are captivated by the warmth of their church, so they'll prance along with the organized value of the church and its laws. They will follow this like a rulebook, stronger even than some believers hold their Bibles. Their interpretation of their God is whatever the ministers or etc. say it should be.

Spiritual people believe in their higher power. They stretch beyond churches and buildings and are seeking the deeper depths of any faith. This sometimes causes truly spiritual people to feel dismayed by organized religion and the culture of church buildings and etc. They study theologies on their own to find and seek truth, value, purpose. Their belief is a more pure belief. They may deviate from the organized religion which may cause them to be outcasted from a church.

Any type can be religious, non-religious, or otherwise. If you type someone based strictly off whether or not they're religious you are misguided.

However, it seems fairly obvious from about...
SJs are more likely to be religious, because of their tendency to enjoy tradition and warm harmonies that can come from a church community.
NFs are more likely to be spiritual, from an overarching search for meaning.

Feelers in this case are more likely to feel some sort of spirituality.

I think T types may be less inclined to be religious or spiritual but may still value studying the history of religion and belief or what these religions have theologically.

I'm inclined to think STPs are the least likely to be religious from a typology standpoint.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On a separate note, I could argue for many enneatypes being religious for various reasons.

1, would be attracted to religion as a mean for their perfection and also a means for their strong moral crusades
2, the sense of community and the ability to outreach
3, the possible leadership roles which could give them prestige
4, likely would choose some electic pagan religion that makes them feel unique jk in seriousness the 4 is constantly searching for a missing piece and religion could possibly appeal to that
5, the quest for truth may draw them to spirituality at some point
6, the group harmony and the leadership structures which exist.
7 is probably least likely to care, they'd attend a couple times to try something new grow bored and leave
8 is also less likely to care, they probably wouldn't like religion imposing on their freedom or they'd warp religion around whatever thought they already have
9, the group harmony.

so 8 and 7 seem least likely to me. the rest I could reasonably see what would draw them to a church or religion for some odd reason. XD