• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

your beliefs don't matter when it comes to the truth

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
prplchknz said:
I still wonder if we all see the same blue, if we have our own individual blues

I wonder that as well. I think it's slightly different because my perception of color is slightly different from eye to eye. The colors are more vibrant and brighter when I see out of my right eye, but I only notice the difference if I close each eye for an extended period.

Also, Dr. Tyson's quote is nonsense. Science is merely a tool; it's not truth. If he's talking about scientific theories, that's still nonsense.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wonder that as well. I think it's slightly different because my perception of color is slightly different from eye to eye. The colors are more vibrant and brighter when I see out of my right eye, but I only notice the difference if I close each eye for an extended period.

Also, Dr. Tyson's quote is nonsense. Science is merely a tool; it's not truth. If he's talking about scientific theories, that's still nonsense.

I meant people who are saying being gay is a choice or evolution isn't real. Although they haven't proven it, most of the data points to those two conclusions.I didn't mean to discount religion I have another thread where I posted my spirtuality beliefs

inventor

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram

Exactly, these people that turn science into something almost mystical are as bad as religious people. A paint brush is not a painting, and a hammer is not a house. Science is not truth, it's a systematic tool.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
prplchknz said:
I meant people who are saying being gay is a choice or evolution isn't real. Although they haven't proven it, most of the data points to those two conclusions.I didn't mean to discount religion I have another thread where I posted my spirtuality beliefs

Did you accidentally quote me by mistake? I was talking about perceiving colors differently.

inventor said:
Exactly, these people that turn science into something almost mystical are as bad as religious people.

I hope it's just a case of using imprecise language and that Dr. Tyson isn't one of those climate change alarmists with an agenda. I have heard Dr. Tyson interviewed on Coast to Coast by George Noory and unfortunately, he does sound like a big government bureaucrat.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Just because there is data, it doesn't mean you have the entire truth. Data only brings you closer to the truth. We can never really be certain of anything. Like Tellenbach has said above: science is only a tool in acquiring truth. Quite frankly, it's a tool that we know works most of the time. Science offers a perspective and confirms what is and considers what's possible.

The reason why people hold on to their beliefs is because they don't want their illusions destroyed. They've been conditioned to believe what they believe. The conditioning has provided them facts (that only make sense to them) to construct a framework of thinking. It is extremely difficult to escape because they don't even know they've been conditioned to it.

We all want truth. But it is science that is closer because it's flexible. Belief is more set in stone.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't expect theology to tell me much about electron energy states.

I don't expect hard science to tell me much about spiritual issues.

This.

Exactly, these people that turn science into something almost mystical are as bad as religious people. A paint brush is not a painting, and a hammer is not a house. Science is not truth, it's a systematic tool.

And this.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"your beliefs don't matter when it comes to the truth"

It would be pretty insane to not believe this statement. You might as well just say "I think there is such a thing as truth". The problem is, it does absolutely nothing to bring us close to actually knowing what the truth is.

I don't expect hard science to tell me much about spiritual issues.

What precisely would that entail and why can science not shed light on it?