• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Root of All Evil?" doco by Richard Dawkins

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ahhh, releasing the pessimism felt good...

While you are right, how often do you see flat-earthers now? The reality is that the society as a whole needs to push them out. Anyone who chooses to believe something regardless of what is presented to them will... nothing will ever change that... however ideas do grow - feminism and equal rights, racism and slavery... It's the social component that will determine if these ideas are mainstream or not. This simply is a war to bring one ideology to the front.

As far as I can tell, he's doing exactly what needs to be done in order to bring a new ideology to light.

HilbertSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I still don't think I agree with this marginalisation thesis - as believers keep telling me, this isn't about science or rationality per se, it's about faith. Don't confuse some evangelical church leaders attempting to dress their views in a pathetic veil of science as proof that the whole edifice will come shattering down if only we can make them see the underling irrationality

I can absolutely see this side of it, and it's one reason why I don't myself go about trying to start arguments. At the same time, a lot of people (myself included) came to our position because we became that the argument from design (in whatever guise) had fallen apart based on something we read, or a conversation we had.

...it hasn't happened in the past 2000 years, I see absolutely no reason why it will change now. Attacking ideas as ideas without reference any inclusion of the faith angle just strikes me as a weak position to work from. The most sane individual in the world can still come back and say "well sorry, I just believe in this" and there's bugger all you can do.

The faith angle is inarguably strong, and can be decisive in several individuals. Other studies indicate that around 40% of scientists claim belief in a personal God (which is still under half the rate of the general population), and that even among members of the National Academy it only falls to about 8%. Perhaps significantly, faith is highest amongst medical doctors and lowest among biologists.

My feeling is that this compulsion to faith probably has both a biological and a psychological component. In any case, and trying to stay more or less on topic, Dawkins is attacking faith qua faith, rather than a specific belief system or set of irrational ideas. I agree that this concept needs to be out there and getting discussed, but also think that, for most people, it's not going to be the first step on a rationalistic road to Damascus.

Langrenus

Thanks folks, interesting discussion thus far.

ptgatsby said:
While you are right, how often do you see flat-earthers now? The reality is that the society as a whole needs to push them out.

This is a fair point, but the fundamental difference here appears to be that the shape of the earth can be proved empirically from a number of different sources. The choice of whether or not to believe in an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being cannot be made against any empirical reference points, and so cannot be refuted rationally in the same way that the flat-earth theory could. Refuting the theory was also a practical necessity for nations looking to master the high seas, or else I wonder whether we might have rather more deniers amongst us :)

With this said I do take the point that societal attitudes change and evolve, and these changes require some pressure to gain momentum

HilbertSpace, some interesting figures there - I've seen comparable results for the Royal Society (which I assume, in my ignorance, is the rough equivalent of your National Academy) and off the top of my head the 8% figure looks identical. The fact that medical doctors have a higher tendency to believe is definitely something that's worth reflecting on.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I think it is lustful desire is the root of all. Lucifer desire to be above humans. He far that good would love humans more than him.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Root of all evil is not religion, mans projection is what screws up religion. Root of all evil is selfish. Not money, not weapons, it's people putting themselves before others. It's one thing to tale care of yourself so u can take care of others...but u must take care of others. And not just those like you or agree with you.

aXpmQAg_700b.jpg

Lark

False dichotomies and conceit abounds anywhere I find that man mentioned.

Any time I have read his books I think he is haunted by or under the pressure of some sort of repressed religiosity, I wait everyday for him and his followers to come out as suddenly having embraced religion and not any religion but some kind of Jonestown variety.

Lark

Root of all evil is not religion, mans projection is what screws up religion. Root of all evil is selfish. Not money, not weapons, it's people putting themselves before others. It's one thing to tale care of yourself so u can take care of others...but u must take care of others. And not just those like you or agree with you.

aXpmQAg_700b.jpg

There is great wisdom here. I would live, sacrifice, endure torture, travail and die for what you have just posted here.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religion is not the root of all evil.

At its inception, religion was a tool which its creators conceived to help answer questions about the world around them. It is a distant cousin of science.

I would say the problem really began whenever religions were co-opted by governments because at that point they became convenient tools to help keep the general population nice and docile and non inquisitive.

Words such as "evil" should never be tossed around so thoughtlessly. It's never that black and white.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so

Thanks man, that was the word I was looking for, but it was there in the moment.