• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When will modern Western morality end?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I guess in the contemporary West, we believe in:

- Social equality
- Human rights
- Social liberalism
- Liberal democracy

But when will this end?

Nothing in life is truly permanent. And we are taught from young that these are “good” ideals, but are they?

Why can’t slavery or colonialism make a comeback? I'm beginning to think we may see the end of Western morals by the middle of this century.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Why would we see the end of these great morals by the middle of this century? There would have to be some reason. Reason itself only points towards something better. We have every reason to move forward, no reason to move backward. Perhaps if something awful happened, or evil people were given a way to exercise absolute power over us, we would fall back into things like slavery and superstition.

But yes, these are certainly good ideals. That's fairly self evident.

Standuble

Slavery won't come back unless it becomes more profitable than mechanisation. Why have a hundred slaves work a field when a guy in a tractor can do it without having to pay for keeping an infrastructure for them. Colonialism is a different question and I think it is very likely that Africa will be re-colonised, first by China and then by Western nations. You can construe France's activities in Mali last year and Western aid to the continent as evidence that they aren't finished with the place just yet. In the end though it will only happen if a neo-colonialist economic model becomes more profitable than the globalisation model (which I do potentially see happening.)

My question to you is why having these back would see the end of Western ethical values? Surely they could make it so they apply only to the nationals of their respective countries.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Slavery won't come back unless it becomes more profitable than mechanisation. Why have a hundred slaves work a field when a guy in a tractor can do it without having to pay for keeping an infrastructure for them. Colonialism is a different question and I think it is very likely that Africa will be re-colonised, first by China and then by Western nations. You can construe France's activities in Mali last year and Western aid to the continent as evidence that they aren't finished with the place just yet. In the end though it will only happen if a neo-colonialist economic model becomes more profitable than the globalisation model (which I do potentially see happening.)

My question to you is why having these back would see the end of Western ethical values? Surely they could make it so they apply only to the nationals of their respective countries.

I did say modern Western values. it's not as Europe in the 18th century endorsed social equality, did it?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Why would we see the end of these great morals by the middle of this century? There would have to be some reason. Reason itself only points towards something better. We have every reason to move forward, no reason to move backward. Perhaps if something awful happened, or evil people were given a way to exercise absolute power over us, we would fall back into things like slavery and superstition.

Self-evident to whom?

I would say that "better" is subjective. Morality doesn't have to be premised on improvement, merely what the many deem fit.

Alea_iacta_est

I don't really think we will lose those standards in the West unless something extreme happens, such as a foreign invasion, a military coup, or something else of that nature.

In the most ideal (but not realistic) society, those terms would cease to exist because they wouldn't be enforced, and neither would any other political terminology be enforced. Resources would be available for free to whoever contributes to society (even a little or a lot), and everyone is independent of everyone else, ensuring maximum freedom.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP

Self-evident to whom?

I would say that "better" is subjective. Morality doesn't have to be premised on improvement, merely what the many deem fit.

Standuble

I did say modern Western values. it's not as Europe in the 18th century endorsed social equality, did it?

Why are you bringing up 18th century values here? You could in theory have both slavery and colonialism whilst maintaining modern Western values. A society can register slaves and colonial subjects as a group with a different set of legal rights and freedoms whilst actual citizens have access to welfare, democracy etc. All the society has to do is come to believe either system is a necessary evil e.g. explaining to citizens that if they want to be able to afford bread then the country needs slaves to work the fields. Much of society today turns a blind eye to illegal aliens who work below the minimum wage so it isn't much of a stretch.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't really think we will lose those standards in the West unless something extreme happens, such as a foreign invasion, a military coup, or something else of that nature.

In the most ideal (but not realistic) society, those terms would cease to exist because they wouldn't be enforced, and neither would any other political terminology be enforced. Resources would be available for free to whoever contributes to society (even a little or a lot), and everyone is independent of everyone else, ensuring maximum freedom.

It depends. what if we decide to discard them? maybe the gay rights movement will be seen to have gone too far? or an increase in obesity will see rampant curbs on what we can eat?

It's just these ideals are presented as near absolutes, but I wonder if when in the future these will be discarded. It's for people living in the 22nd century or something to live with. haha..

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Why are you bringing up 18th century values here? You could in theory have both slavery and colonialism whilst maintaining modern Western values. A society can register slaves and colonial subjects as a group with a different set of legal rights and freedoms whilst actual citizens have access to welfare, democracy etc. All the society has to do is come to believe either system is a necessary evil e.g. explaining to citizens that if they want to be able to afford bread then the country needs slaves to work the fields. Much of society today turns a blind eye to illegal aliens who work below the minimum wage so it isn't much of a stretch.

er.. you didn't seem to understand.

Alea_iacta_est

It depends. what if we decide to discard them? maybe the gay rights movement will be seen to have gone too far? or an increase in obesity will see rampant curbs on what we can eat?

It's just these ideals are presented as near absolutes, but I wonder if when in the future these will be discarded. It's for people living in the 22nd century or something to live with. haha..

That's already happening now, and we have absolutely no power to do anything about it because no one seems to care that the government is restricting products to citizens simply based on rampant obesity. If people want to get fat, let them, it's their choice.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Self-evident to whom?

I had this same discussion yesterday with someone in the man/machine thread. If you think "better" is subjective, I don't particularly envy your state of mind. Not to try to attack you or anything, but you must live in a world of utter confusion. I know because I've been there.

What you're plainly telling me is that slavery and freedom are basically equal because it's all just subjective, just an opinion. If someone THINKS human sacrifice is good for them, then it IS good for them. That's what you're telling me. And I can almost see your point. But not really.

There is right and wrong. There is better and worse. Just LOOK. I have trouble explaining it otherwise, but I'll try. It IS self evident, though. That the world is better and happier now than it was in WWII is pretty damn objective, if you ask me. No, I don't think science has a perfect way to prove that yet, but I think it is something that is possible. If you disagree, look up that 3 hour documentary about the Eastern front in WWII, I think it's on youtube. There you'll find a picture of true misery. Things are better now. It's self evident.

Specifically though, the problem with your case is that we actually have an objective programming. There is a right and a wrong way to make people happy, biologically. All you have to assume is that suffering is bad and happiness is good. Honestly I think that's a safe enough assumption to make. The systems you listed in the OP all have in common that they enable people to choose what makes them happy and protect their own happiness, which is philosophically good, but also historically good. Life under these principles has always been the more prosperous way to exist on this planet.

I could probably go on, and will continue to think on this question throughout the day. Maybe I'll add more later.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess in the contemporary West, we believe in:

- Social equality
- Human rights
- Social liberalism
- Liberal democracy

But when will this end?

Nothing in life is truly permanent. And we are taught from young that these are “good” ideals, but are they?

Why can’t slavery or colonialism make a comeback? I'm beginning to think we may see the end of Western morals by the middle of this century.

Wow, don't get ahead of yourself. The environment I grew up in doesn't really hold those as values. We're not even out of the past age into the one you describe, yet, it's only just been flowering for a few decades (in terms of REALLY manifesting throughout society)... and the valueset before that perpetuated for quite a long time.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I had this same discussion yesterday with someone in the man/machine thread. If you think "better" is subjective, I don't particularly envy your state of mind. Not to try to attack you or anything, but you must live in a world of utter confusion. I know because I've been there.

What you're plainly telling me is that slavery and freedom are basically equal because it's all just subjective, just an opinion. If someone THINKS human sacrifice is good for them, then it IS good for them. That's what you're telling me. And I can almost see your point. But not really.

There is right and wrong. There is better and worse. Just LOOK. I have trouble explaining it otherwise, but I'll try. It IS self evident, though. That the world is better and happier now than it was in WWII is pretty damn objective, if you ask me. No, I don't think science has a perfect way to prove that yet, but I think it is something that is possible. If you disagree, look up that 3 hour documentary about the Eastern front in WWII, I think it's on youtube. There you'll find a picture of true misery. Things are better now. It's self evident.

Specifically though, the problem with your case is that we actually have an objective programming. There is a right and a wrong way to make people happy, biologically. All you have to assume is that suffering is bad and happiness is good. Honestly I think that's a safe enough assumption to make. The systems you listed in the OP all have in common that they enable people to choose what makes them happy and protect their own happiness, which is philosophically good, but also historically good. Life under these principles has always been the more prosperous way to exist on this planet.

I could probably go on, and will continue to think on this question throughout the day. Maybe I'll add more later.

all things in existence are subjective. this is a fact of both the human condition and the universe.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Wow, don't get ahead of yourself. The environment I grew up in doesn't really hold those as values. We're not even out of the past age into the one you describe, yet, it's only just been flowering for a few decades (in terms of REALLY manifesting throughout society)... and the valueset before that perpetuated for quite a long time.

Er.. in my society, we do.

But then yeah, if your culture is not up to the par of other Western cultures, so be it.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
That's already happening now, and we have absolutely no power to do anything about it because no one seems to care that the government is restricting products to citizens simply based on rampant obesity. If people want to get fat, let them, it's their choice.

I personally believe all fatty foods should be banned, but that's a side point. I hardly if ever eat them.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
all things in existence are subjective. this is a fact of both the human condition and the universe.

Science is subjective? When I let go of a ball, it doesn't particularly matter what my opinion is, does it? The ball falls.

Subjective things are subjective. Objective things are objective. Go take a cold shower. You need to wake up.

I personally believe all fatty foods should be banned, but that's a side point. I hardly if ever eat them.

Why believe in anything if you think everything is subjective?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Isnt this an objectivistic satement?

I pretty much agree, as happiness is an emotion, however I disagree with the idea it can be experienced in a collective fashion in the style of a Nuremburg gathering(not saying this is what you're actually impying though). Happiness, as more and more people are discovering is something which is experienced on an individual basis. At the same time, what makes people happy is pretty much often the same thing, more or less hence a world can be better or worse for people.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Er.. in my society, we do.

But then yeah, if your culture is not up to the par of other Western cultures, so be it.

Well, I wouldn't even say the USA really has "equal values" yet. We're still in the middle of a cultural war on this. And just 25 years ago or so, we were firmly conservative and only the large urban centers could have been called in any way "liberal."

Then again, it's pretty common knowledge the USA is behind Europe on things like this.