• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Love?

Alea_iacta_est

But A series of Biochemical reactions that drive people together to marrY and reproDuce in Order to produce stroNg offspring in a safe and nourishing environmenT? How qUeeR is iT that love May simply Exist to further the lifespan of the DiscOrdaNT existence of our species? and for what purpose? to further the lifespan of a species that is dancing the border between Heimal nUcleaR fallouT and Magnificent yEt seemiNgly out-of-grasp utOpia? to further the Misanthropic crimes that have been cOmmited against ouRselvEs? how inconsiderate of nature.

Just out of curiousity, did you read the capitals or the whole thing first?

W

WhoCares

If love is biology, why does biology inspire love amoung sterile individuals? Surely biology would know that the chemical factory was wasted in such an effort. Why would sterile individuals even be capable of producing the sexual hormones?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In spite of the idea that love may be but a series of reactions...

Whether we choose to bind our hearts in action, in deed, is up to us.
A creation of our own.
Nothing but an exercise of illusionary will, maybe, though an extension of our deepest selves regardless.
Two separate beings, alien in time and space, but bound as one.

Nothing could be more powerful than this overcoming of difference...
Only love is more powerful than the forces of time and space.

Only love reaches beyond distance and beyond death.
Though the future may be dark and unknown, love is our hope.
Hope so important, it is wired into our very DNA in the guise of mere biochemical reactions.
Elegant and incredible, material and immaterial, bound as one like lovers.
Remarkable is the beauty of life.

Alea_iacta_est

If love is biology, why does biology inspire love amoung sterile individuals? Surely biology would know that the chemical factory was wasted in such an effort. Why would sterile individuals even be capable of producing the sexual hormones?

Interesting point but, that suggests the unconscious actually knows precisely what is happening with its own body. If this were true, how come people who have had half of their arm amputated can still move/use the remainder of their arm? Its a waste of Oxygen to be honest, it would be more advantageous for it to reroute blood so as to not replenish the useless cells in the stump of the arm, slowly allowing it to decay away (also, what of phantom pains?).

If an individual were sterile, I would imagine that the brain would simply keep creating more of those chemicals despite damage to a sex organ, for that's what the brain is literally programmed to do. It's almost frightening how the brain acts like a computer in a sense; a computer will continue a calculation even when suffering major damage, and will sometimes not stop until the calculation has been totally corrupted or the complete destruction of the computer.

W

WhoCares

Or, we are more than just a chemical factory and simply dont know what we haven't discovered yet. But hey you're welcome to stop your understanding of life at that point.

LonestarCowgirl

But A series of Biochemical reactions that drive people together to marrY and reproDuce in Order to produce stroNg offspring in a safe and nourishing environmenT? [/I][/SIZE]
Biochemical reactions may explain why people think love is a feeling, but when feelings fade, then what is love?

Love is:
- admiration
- respect
- reverence
- caring
- affection
- adoration
- selfless
- self-sacrifice

Those that don't understand this deeper meaning, end up divorced.

W

WALMART

My dad once told me if I killed someone he'd help hide the body.

Louis CK recently did a piece on why we're so obsessed with our phones and social media, why we'll text in traffic literally risking our lives to simply receive or send a message. We all have a deep emptiness we fill with things, and above all, I think that void is best filled with interpersonal attention and care. Love is having that empty space wholly consumed, probably at its optimum when perceived as reciprocating.

(I am now at that point where I can recycle my old posts)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But A series of Biochemical reactions that drive people together to marrY and reproDuce in Order to produce stroNg offspring in a safe and nourishing environmenT? How qUeeR is iT that love May simply Exist to further the lifespan of the DiscOrdaNT existence of our species? and for what purpose? to further the lifespan of a species that is dancing the border between Heimal nUcleaR fallouT and Magnificent yEt seemiNgly out-of-grasp utOpia? to further the Misanthropic crimes that have been cOmmited against ouRselvEs? how inconsiderate of nature.

Just out of curiousity, did you read the capitals or the whole thing first?

I'm going to lose track of what the hidden sentence is if you ask me to pay attention to every single capital letter. :cry:

edit: oh i read the first few letters and realized what it was

LAME i was expecting something philosophical

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Baby, don't hurt me.

Don't hurt me no more.

I love that song - one of my absolute favorites! :D

Seriously though, to answer the question: I believe that love is friendship. I mean, you can't truly love someone unless you at least know that person the way a friend would, right? And friendship on its own could potentially lead to love.

Alea_iacta_est

I love that song - one of my absolute favorites! :D

Seriously though, to answer the question: I believe that love is friendship. I mean, you can't truly love someone unless you at least know that person the way a friend would, right? And friendship on its own could potentially lead to love.

And what of the poor souls who fall in love with people they don't know as friends, but from the mere act of observation and acquaintanceship, or is that only a derivative of lust?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And what of the poor souls who fall in love with people they don't know as friends, but from the mere act of observation and acquaintanceship, or is that only a derivative of lust?

Aw, come now - I didn't say there weren't exceptions! :alttongue: But in general, it takes time to get to know someone well enough before you come to love that person COMPLETELY. This is from my own experience (and believe me, I've met with a lot of heartbreak in the past as a result of believing in the very statement that you have claimed here).

Mole

Permabanned
We are the only inter-subjective species on Earth.

And being inter-subjective makes love possible.

But what is fascinating in this thread is that love is seen as sexual love.

This is plainly special pleading.

LonestarCowgirl

I like these quotes:

“Love is the beauty of the soul.” -Saint Augustine

“Love is love’s reward.” -John Dryden

“Love is like a Rubix Cube, there are countless numbers of wrong twists and turns, but when you get it right, it looks perfect no matter how you look at it.” -Brain Cramer

“True love is like ghosts, Which everybody talks about and few have seen.” -LA Rochefoucauld

“Some say true love is a mirage; seek it anyway, for all else is surely desert.” -Robert Brault

“Young love is from the earth, and late love is from heaven.” -Turkish Proverb

“Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.” -Peter Ustinov

“Wherever love is, I want to be, I will follow it as surely as the land-locked salmon finds the sea.” -Jeanette Winterson