• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Philosophy Quotes

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Permit each other to wander where the other roams. To read is to encounter another life. And as Sontag mused, intelligence is really a kind of taste in ideas. Post here earmarkers of your philosophical journey.

Last edited:

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Consciousness is the latest development of the organic, and hence also its most unfinished and unrobust feature. Consciousness gives rise to countless mistakes that lead an animal or human being to perish sooner than necessary, 'beyond destiny', as Homer puts it. If the preserving alliance of the instincts were not so much more powerful, if it did not serve on the whole as a regulator, humanity would have to perish with open eyes of its misjudging and its fantasizing, of its lack of thoroughness and its incredulity - in short, of its consciousness; or rather, without the instincts, humanity would long have ceased to exist!

Nietzsche, Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (The Gay Science), 1882

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

"Having already been through the terror of birth and life, I can sincerely tell you that I do not fear dying, nor being dead. I am somewhat comforted in knowing that I am dying, and that one day I will be dead. What worries me, in a much more profound sense, is the possibility that I might be reborn, and have to relive that terror." - Saudade

Qre:us

"Having already been through the terror of birth and life, I can sincerely tell you that I do not fear dying, nor being dead. I am somewhat comforted in knowing that I am dying, and that one day I will be dead. What worries me, in a much more profound sense, is the possibility that I might be reborn, and have to relive that terror." - Saudade

You have a memory of your birth? You have already been through life? Then, you must already be reborn to comment on it so.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

The greatest weight. -- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence -- even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!" Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: "You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine"

From Nietzsche's The Gay Science, §341

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"God is absolutely perfect, perfection being understood as the magnitude of positive reality in the strict sense, when the limitations or the bounds of those things which have them are removed. There where there are no limits, that is to say, in God, perfection is absolutely infinite." - Gottfried Leibniz

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

“However, the struggle with that sentinel is, as a rule, not so hard as it may seem from a long way off, mainly in consequence of the antagonism between the ills of the body and the ills of the mind. If we are in great bodily pain, or the pain lasts a long time, we become indifferent to other troubles; all we think about is to get well. In the same way great mental suffering makes us insensible to bodily pain; we despise it; nay, if it should outweigh the other, it distracts our thoughts, and we welcome it as a pause in mental suffering. It is this feeling that makes suicide easy; for the bodily pain that accompanies it loses all significance in the eyes of one who is tortured by an excess of mental suffering. This is especially evident in the case of those who are driven to suicide by some purely morbid and exaggerated ill-humor. No special effort to overcome their feelings is necessary, nor do such people require to be worked up in order to take the step; but as soon as the keeper into whose charge they are given leaves them for a couple of minutes, they quickly bring their life to an end. When, in some dreadful and ghastly dream, we reach the moment of greatest horror, it awakes us; thereby banishing all the hideous shapes that were born of the night. And life is a dream: when the moment of greatest horror compels us to break it off, the same thing happens.”

From Schopenhauer's Studies In Pessimism

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7

Very nice. My dad said about exactly the same thing when I was younger and didn't understand. He's right and so are you. Eventhough I'm thoroughly able to enjoy life occasionaly, the idea of reïncarnation seems like an absolute horror to me.
Luckily there's absolutely no reason to assume such a thing.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Very nice. My dad said about exactly the same thing when I was younger and didn't understand. He's right and so are you. Eventhough I'm thoroughly able to enjoy life occasionaly, the idea of reïncarnation seems like an absolute horror to me.
Luckily there's absolutely no reason to assume such a thing.

Means a lot coming from you, thanks.

I wrote that a couple years ago.

I

Infinite Bubble

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Buddha

Picked that one out a hat. I like the economical ones.

A reminder that you can think your way to fulfillment.

W

WALMART

"You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

[MENTION=9627]Chawie[/MENTION]

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. No big laboratory is needed in which to think. Originality thrives in seclusion free of outside influences beating upon us to cripple the creative mind. Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born. That is why many of the earthly miracles have had their genesis in humble surroundings." ― Nikola Tesla

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Fuck hope, hope only brings eternal misery. Stop living for a better tomorrow and start living for a better today by thinking of what you are doing today and not what you will be doing tomorrow because if you don't start today you will forever prolong living until you're dead." OptoGypsy

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aww the blessing of being special and understanding life:

"Oh wedding this, suck my ass that. I'm special, you're special, we're all just a bunch of special fuckers" Steve Stifler

"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." Socrates

"Man is the most intelligent of the animals - and the most silly." Diogenes

"Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else." Tyler Durden

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“Jesus waited three days to come back to life. It was perfect! If he had only waited one day, a lot of people wouldn't have even heard he died. They'd be all, "Hey Jesus, what up?" and Jesus would probably be like, "What up? I died yesterday!" and they'd be all, "Uh, you look pretty alive to me, dude..." and then Jesus would have to explain how he was resurrected, and how it was a miracle, and the dude'd be like "Uhh okay, whatever you say, bro..." And he's not gonna come back on a Saturday. Everybody's busy, doing chores, workin' the loom, trimmin' the beard, NO. He waited the perfect number of days, three. Plus it's Sunday, so everyone's in church already, and they're all in there like "Oh no, Jesus is dead", and then BAM! He bursts in the back door, runnin' up the aisle, everyone's totally psyched, and FYI, that's when he invented the high five. That's why we wait three days to call a woman, because that's how long Jesus wants us to wait.... True story.” "Barney Stinson"

When I'm sad I stop being Sad and be awesome instead" Stinson

W

WALMART

It is not one swallow or one fine day that makes a spring...

"The wise man does not expose himself needlessly to danger, since there are few things for which he cares sufficiently; but he is willing, in great crises, to give even his life - knowing that under certain conditions it is not worth while to live. He is of a disposition to do men service, though he is ashamed to have a service done to him. To confer a kindness is a mark of superiority; to receive one is a mark of subordination... He does not take part in public displays... He is open in his dislikes and preferences; he talks and acts frankly, because of his contempt for men and things... He is never fired with admiration, since there is nothing great in his eyes. He cannot live in complaisance with others, except it be a friend; complaisance is the characteristic of a slave... He never feels malice, and always forgets and passes over injuries... He is not fond of talking... It is no concern of his that he should be praised, or that others should be blamed. He does not speak evil of others, even of his enemies, unless it be to themselves. His carriage is sedate, his voice deep, his speech measured; he is not given to hurry, for he is concerned about only a few things; he is not prone to vehemence, for he thinks nothing very important. A shrill voice and hasty steps come to a man through care... He bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of his circumstances, like a skillful general who marshals his limited forces with the strategy of war... He is his own best friend, and takes delight in privacy whereas the man of no virtue or ability is his own worst enemy, and is afraid of solitude."

-Aristotle

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune. ~Wiliam James