• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Philosophy Quotes

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't see with your eyes, you perceive with your mind. ~The Gorillaz

Kas

Fabula rasa
"Though thou shouldst be going to live three thousand years, and as many times ten thousand years, still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. The longest and shortest are thus brought to the same. For the present is the same to all, though that which perishes is not the same; and so that which is lost appears to be a mere moment. For a man cannot lose either the past or the future: for what a man has not, how can any one take this from him?" Marcus Aurelius

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'We ourselves are each of us [wir je selbst] the entity to be analyzed [viz. DASEIN]. The being of this entity is in each case mine [je meines] ' (BT, 41). Heidegger

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"It is proper to every gathering that the gatherers assemble to coordinate their efforts to the sheltering; only when they have gathered together with that end in view do they begin to gather." Heidegger

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Art shows us the miracles of nature." Wittgenstein

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
quote-Friedrich-Nietzsche-in-individuals-insanity-is-rare-but-in-41387.png

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This:

Agent K said:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet.

The sequels sucked (I never even bothered with the third one), but the first one was pretty good.

Starry

OOooooo I didn't know we had this thread for super smart people like me.

Here's why both Nietzsche and Evee took a strong disliking to the bragging thread...

We are like shop windows in which we are continually arranging, concealing or illuminating the supposed qualities others ascribe to us - in order to deceive ourselves.

from Nietzsche's Daybreak, s. 385

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you're society's shadowy reflection, authenticity doesn't always work. Let me put it like this.... I ask too many questions, and too many of the wrong questions, and that makes most people uncomfortable. They'd rather be happy than think about something so depressing. On internet message boards, I run into the danger of being accused of trolling when that's not actually what I'm doing.

What is seen as good within the context of our society is the "holy fool," like Forrest Gump. People who ask too many questions or have confidence in their own knowledge are seen as egotistical, snobby and arrogant. I could live with that, but not when there are bigger problems. People claim to care about certain problems, but they don't like when other people make them feel insecure about their lack of knowledge or understanding of said problems. They prefer their own mental framework, and will often go to extreme lengths to protect it.

Silence is a cloak of protection.

Starry

If you're society's shadowy reflection, authenticity doesn't always work. Let me put it like this.... I ask too many questions, and too many of the wrong questions, and that makes most people uncomfortable. They'd rather be happy than think about something so depressing. On internet message boards, I run into the danger of being accused of trolling when that's not actually what I'm doing.

What is seen as good within the context of our society is the "holy fool," like Forrest Gump. People who ask too many questions or have confidence in their own knowledge are seen as egotistical and snobby. I could live with that, but not when there are bigger problems.

Forrest Gump sucked.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Forrest Gump sucked.

It did... but I don't know if that's a popular opinion.

What I noticed is this:

People claim to care about certain problems, but they don't like when other people make them feel insecure about their lack of knowledge or understanding of said problems. They prefer their own mental framework, and will often go to extreme lengths to protect it.

Silence is a cloak of protection. It can also guard against words being misinterpreted by those of ill intent, many of whom are quite good at concealing themselves.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that I VI like Nietzsche.

Starry

People claim to care about certain problems, but they don't like when other people make them feel insecure about their lack of knowledge or understanding of said problems. They prefer their own mental framework, and will often go to extreme lengths to protect it.

yup.

Silence is a cloak of protection. It can also guard against words being misinterpreted by those of ill intent.

Silence is a form of control. And while I used to have a great deal of patience for it...today I just can't find the time. I'm over silence.

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
A personal fav

"The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free." Baruch Spinoza (Ethics)