• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is this hell?

I

Infinite Bubble

Everything we know of is at least partially subjective.

Philosophy is human subjectivity personified.

Anna Jorovic

MBTI Type
INTP
Everything we know of is at least partially subjective.

Philosophy is human subjectivity personified.

I understand what you're both getting at. :) But some things (such as ethics) are far more subjective than others (like mathematics).

I don't think we can really Know anything.

I

Infinite Bubble

I understand what you're both getting at. :) But some things (such as ethics) are far more subjective than others (like mathematics).

I don't think we can really Know anything.

Yeah that's true.

Ironically, ethics is far more contextually objective than what it first appears to be.

Agreed, it'd probably be overly ambitious to think we can.

W

WhoCares

I doubt that objectivity is a useful thing. We laud objectivity because it appears to measure constants in our world. Things that hold true no matter who looks at it. But the question I ask is, why do we bother chasing constants in this world? Because life seems too chaotic if we dont have them? Because we fear living in a reality entirely of our own making? Do we fear the darkness of our minds so much?

More to the point have I come to these conclusions about humanity because of what I know about others or because of what I know about myself?

entpersonal

Since humanity is driven to a selfish end and will actively exploit other species, same species and indeed any advantage they think they can, then what is worthy about humanity at all?

I would answer intelligence and creativity, if that question wasn't meant rhetorically. :dry:

R

RDF

Just lately I have been forced to revise my thoughts on people. Despite my negative rantings I still believed in the inherent worthiness of people. I wanted to believe that humans are just fallible and its insecurity that causes people to behave as they do. But I simply cannot adhere to that notion any longer. It's become apparent to me just what a dark and hideous world we live in. That inherent worthiness outlook has been replaced by an outlook of inherent evil. And I never believed in the notion of evil before. But lets define it as....the propensity towards exploitation for self centred ends. As this is what I truly believe now drives humanity at large.

Since humanity is driven to a selfish end and will actively exploit other species, same species and indeed any advantage they think they can, then what is worthy about humanity at all?
Since this is the society we must all survive it explains why some people just end up as roadkill along the way.
There is no way of predicting whether or not you will be roadkill as it's highly likely that you can always meet someone smarter, more exploitive and dangerous than you.

Even people I would once have thought pretty normal have shown me recently that they are of highly questionable character. It seems normalcy is just a mask worn by an enormously narcissistic and psychopathic species and it doesn't take much to remove the mask. It's as simple as allowing someone to feel comfortable in a situation and they instantly and proudly expose just how degenerate they really are. I won't go into details because honestly the details make me sick.

So given that I live in this place, surrounded by the most dangerous species on the planet (by order of unpredictability and tendency towards violence) what is the difference between this and the mythical hell?

Read up on Existentialism. Sartre and Camus said the same thing as the OP, but said it better.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
L

LadyLazarus

Only like the 3rd circle at most.

4chan's probably the 9th.Damn fucked up INTP's.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

How is this different from any other creature in nature? This is the principle of survival of the fittest. Adapt to opportunities around you, expand your advantages, and exploit the disadvantaged. Lions don't go attacking healthy gazelles when one with a broken foot is right there. Spiders literally create devices to capture their own species. Females devour males in the insect world.

You cannot take a vague concept, like this one, and apply it to every situation of every facet of life and call it a principle of being. Humans simply do not function on the level of survival 100% of the time. We really don't have to. Those vegetarians would eat the shit out of bacon if it meant they would die if they didn't. But vegetarians do not need to survive--they're already surviving. They're thriving. Many domesticated and zoo animals don't operate on survival instincts either. This causes all sorts of other phenomenon and social drama--but what you're describing isn't inherently evil, or malicious, though I can see someone easily taking it personal anyways.

Plus, it is way too cold outside for it to be hell. I expect much more fire.

I just think it seems really self-defeatist and very, to be blunt, victimized to just say "Oh, all of humanity is a bunch of assholes that create the very existence of the place they fear so much! How am I expected to find nice things in such a place?! Humans aren't WORTHY of my awesome personality and adoration!" It's an easy excuse. Don't feel like helping that old lady across the street? She's probably a racist old bag anyways. Don't feel like taking your trash to the litter bin? Doesn't matter, no one else cares because they're all apathetic losers that hate the world. Don't feel like improving on yourself or looking within yourself to change your circumstances? You're in luck! Everyone's an asshole that won't care how much work you put into yourself anyways!

Permabanned
Thread title reminds me of this