• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Close minded and traditional people

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does tradition always get lumped in with closed mindedness? you can prefer traditions (whether they be cultural or personal) without being a closed minded bigot who wants to make everyone do things the same way.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I believe in science and the Bible. I can simultaneously hold two conflicting beliefs reasonably well. Truth can exist on different levels and in different parts of the brain.

I can understand why people would choose to be vegetarians or even vegans. It's not something I have chosen, but I can respect the choice and I don't think it's a bad choice. The cruelty bothers me and as I can afford to buy cruelty-free food, I will, but I prioritize humans over animals and there is much cruelty against both in this world.

Politics are important to me, though I have doubts that voting is terribly effective because I believe, in the US, most politicians are owned by the same people. I do not understand how someone would not care, but I accept that some people do not.

I believe in God, but it's not like we can know one way or another, so it's reasonable to me that people could come to a different conclusion on the matter than I have.

Traditions are cool in theory, but a lot of times they are a lot of work and specifically, a lot of work for the mom and/or wife, which I am, so I'd just as soon keep a lot of them low-key because I'm not what you'd call a work horse. I do like the ones that involve eating out as long as it's not Valentine's Day or Mother's Day because I am not fond of crowds or waiting in line. And I like excuses to buy myself stuff.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why does tradition always get lumped in with closed mindedness? you can prefer traditions (whether they be cultural or personal) without being a closed minded bigot who wants to make everyone do things the same way.

It gets lumped together because the type of people that are accused of being close minded are supposedly only following tradition.

ie: religion (just because they were raised that way,) diet (just because it's what they were raised on,) politics (just because they were only exposed to that side,) etc...

When people do things just because it's the way it's always been done...it sounds a lot like tradition. Actually I think it pretty much is the negative connation that tradition has.

Yes, one can prefer traditions without being close minded if one has examined whether they really like the tradition or whether they're just following the tradition blindly just because they don't like change.

Close mindedness is associated with not wanting change.

And yea @ the OP nobody needs to try to assert "non-change" or change for that matter on others, but it still happens. If you're comfortable with the beliefs you've chosen or accepted you for who you are, then other peoples' assertions shouldn't matter.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It gets lumped together because the type of people that are accused of being close minded are supposedly only following tradition.
ie: religion (just because they were raised that way,) diet (just because it's what they were raised on,) politics (just because they were only exposed to that side,) etc...
When people do things just because it's the way it's always been done...it sounds a lot like tradition. Actually I think it pretty much is the negative connation that tradition has.
Yes, one can prefer traditions without being close minded if one has examined whether they really like the tradition or whether they're just following the tradition blindly just because they don't like change.
Close mindedness is associated with not wanting change.
And yea @ the OP nobody needs to try to assert "non-change" or change for that matter on others, but it still happens. If you're comfortable with the beliefs you've chosen or accepted you for who you are, then other peoples' assertions shouldn't matter.
it shouldn't be. not unless the change is something important and their current way of life is irrational (for instance, Jim Crow in the south). change takes a lot of physical and mental energy and, unless the benefits are substantial, it's often not worth the effort (and this is coming from an Ne dom)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it shouldn't be. not unless the change is something important and their current way of life is irrational (for instance, Jim Crow in the south). change takes a lot of physical and mental energy and, unless the benefits are substantial, it's often not worth the effort (and this is coming from an Ne dom)

I know what you mean, but I do believe people should examine what they do and not just continue believing things just because their parents said so.

And that's another problem, it has a negative connotation because people also associate not putting energy into something either lazy, or means they don't care.

So with your example how is the person supposed to know if their view on Jim Crow is irrational if they never examine it?

If they don't examine that belief then nothing is telling them that it's wrong to continue to carry out the belief that their parents (or surrounding neighbors or whoever) had about segregation.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my personal beliefs for my self is no tatoos or piercings though it's totally fine if you want or have any of those. I have no tattoos or piercings not even my ears are pierced. I like meat but I would never force anyone who was against it or didn't like it to consume it. my philosophy is live and let live. I believe in evolution but I believe something created the universe I don't know what. I'm not religious but working on my spirtuality. I believe in Aliens the universe is to big imo to be the only planet withl life on it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I finally read the op in entirety and I must say it seems as though you're trying to shove down your views on vegetarianism down people's throats which is making youseem cclosed minded. people aren't fond of being told what they should believe.aggressively.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know what you mean, but I do believe people should examine what they do and not just continue believing things just because their parents said so.

And that's another problem, it has a negative connotation because people also associate not putting energy into something either lazy, or means they don't care.

The funny thing to me about the whole tradition-mindless relationship is that I feel like typically I am the lazy sort that would not keep doing things just because they were done. So generally, for me to participate in a tradition, I would have to have made the decision at some point that it is worth energy investment, which means that I would have put some degree of thought into it. It is often its own counterbalance.

I believe in science and the Bible. I can simultaneously hold two conflicting beliefs reasonably well. Truth can exist on different levels and in different parts of the brain.

Yes, this one gets me, too. I am not sure science is really something "believed in", either... it is a process of logic, not a belief persay. I typically think of belief existing on a different plane than logical deduction or induction. Of course the two can contradict, but they can also be in synchrony.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my personal beliefs for my self is no tatoos or piercings though it's totally fine if you want or have any of those. I have no tattoos or piercings not even my ears are pierced. I like meat but I would never force anyone who was against it or didn't like it to consume it. my philosophy is live and let live. I believe in evolution but I believe something created the universe I don't know what. I'm not religious but working on my spirtuality. I believe in Aliens the universe is to big imo to be the only planet withl life on it.

No...All my family and friends eat meat. And I don't really feel like I want to argue with them, so I tolerate it. I never said anything negative to a meat eater, but they did say a lot of negatives to me. That's why I am so bothered with it...And why is this thread about vegetarianism at first? I didn't want it to be...I mentioned politics and other things as well...I didn't want to argue about this...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No...All my family and friends eat meat. And I don't really feel like I want to argue with them, so I tolerate it. I never said anything negative to a meat eater, but they did say a lot of negatives to me. That's why I am so bothered with it...And why is this thread about vegetarianism at first? I didn't want it to be...I mentioned politics and other things as well...I didn't want to argue about this...

where in the post you quoted did I focus only on vegetarianism?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

Ok it's more of an SJ with a 1 and a 6w5 fix thing.

W

WhoCares

Its great you want to try new things but there is nothing really wrong with tradition or even with being closed minded for that matter. The only person it affects is the individual adhering to it. Some people are here in life to continue on the status quo, some to develop new trains of thought and others to rail against the status quo. These are all just functions of society, always have been, always will be.

Why does it upset you if others challenge your belief systems? If you're strong in your own beliefs, nothing anyone has to say will ever shake them. If someone is boring you with their rants then excuse yourself and leave.

I

Infinite Bubble

I'm actually tolerant to people who are considered close-minded or traditional, as that is just what they're like and it's how most people are to be honest. What bothers me the most is they're completely consumed by (western) society and are bound to its rules, so they live dull, unexceptional lives because of it, something I'm hellbent on avoiding. Drones and they don't know they can escape. Of course, there always has to be drones because that's how societies work, so in that sense some people can't be anything but. We're all drones really, but some people can see the open door. Even try and make a break for it.