• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists celebrating Christmas.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, as I said, it never had anything to do with christianity for me. I would never fake believing something I don't. It is a beautiful childhood memory (that is about blinkering lights and a cosy atmosphere and special food, etc.) that I am grateful for and want to keep alive and pass on to the next generation. I honestly have a hard time even understanding why this should be an ethical problem towards myself. I basically celebrate it for the same reason I celebrate birthdays: it's fun and makes everybody involved happy. That is enough of a rational reason.

okay. I never asked any of my atheist friends in real life. So thanks for letting me ask here. :)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol

I get the bigger picture motivation to keep Christmas going- and commercialized.

I guess as an ENFP who is fascinated by what makes people tick and how they tick etc.- I'm trying to reconcile this idea that someone is "going with the crowd" and celebrating a Christian holiday (regardless of the origins of the specific rituals) when they outwardly deny Christianity.

I'm wondering how an individual feels "okay" with this. If you are firm in your atheist beliefs, why not forgo any Christmas celebration? I can see going along with it for friends that are Christian. But putting up a tree, buying presents. I dunno. I've always been bewildered by people that celebrate to the hilt but do not respect the reason behind it.

I actually have a similar thought toward the Christians who buy in (no pun) into all the Christmas stuff. I would say YOU GUYS are the ones who have helped the degeneration of the holiday into something it isn't. Us baby-barbequeing types have always been the minority, you guys have always been the majority so you guys are most certainly the trend setters here. If Modern Christians want to ponder why Christmas today is what it is today, I'd recommend they look at themselves first before they ruin my next tailgate party in front of an nursery.

As for my atheism...it has nothing to do with Christmas and Christmas doesn't bother me one bit. I grew up a Christian and while church and all the Christmas Carols were all a part of the shindig...it very much took a backseat to all the presents, to the Thanksgiving-like meal on Christmas Day, and everyone just having a good time. My parents are still Christians as are my brothers but nothing has really changed saved for the dollar amount we've spent in the past. Everything is very much as it was. I'm sure to my parents it's about the celebration of of the birth of their savior but for me it's time off work, good food, and time that I can spend with my family. Always has been and always will be

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the religious aspects of.Christmas growing up were fasting during advent st.nicholas day (dec 6th) going to church Christmas eve and breaking fast everything else had nothing to do with Christianity except my mom's nativity scene but I don't see why you couldn't pick and choose.traditions

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I think we can even go beyond the simple argument that states our winter festivals are as much pagan (and therefore open to all) as christian (and therefore exclusively connected to christians).

Even if, let's imagine, the Christmas celebrations were conceived by European Christians in the middle ages, as well as the time of these celebrations. Modern day atheist Europeans (to take the obvious example) would still have a perfectly respectable claim to these traditions. For such traditions can be identified not just with christian tradition, but also European tradition (or now western tradition for the anglosphere countries etc). It might be said; well, the rational basis, the metaphorical valuation that gives meaning to said traditions, are christian first and foremost and to that I'd say to some degree, yes. While, on the other hand, this valuation is irrelevant for tradition supplies its own valuation in both cases. So often tradition withstands elimination even while its original meaning has been long ago lost; only the fact it is traditional provides it value. We accept this in most cases. Humans will defend tradition just for being traditional. This is the case for all cases of christmas observance; atheistic or christian.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that Christmas celebrations generally have gotten largely out of control, are larger than life and have taken on a life of their own. Meaning something different to different people. I feel the Christian reason for the season has been watered down. There is something to be said about less is more. It's out of control.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that Christmas celebrations generally have gotten largely out of control, are larger than life and have taken on a life of their own. Meaning something different to different people. I feel the Christian reason for the season has been watered down. There is something to be said about less is more. It's out of control.

I'd agree that in many respects it has become excessively commercial. However, I agree with what [MENTION=5583]Eruca[/MENTION] said about it being a tradition that goes beyond christianity. As a non-christian, I do not consider that watering down but rather detachment.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am Christian and barely celebrate it as a religious holiday. We read the account of baby Jesus in the manger before we open gifts. That's it. It's really an excuse to buy extra stuff for the kids, watch Christmas movies, and eat candy for us. I don't in any way begrudge non-Christians getting in on the fun. I don't think Jesus would mind at all, so it would be silly for me to, IMO.

Nicodemus

I'm wondering how an individual feels "okay" with this. If you are firm in your atheist beliefs, why not forgo any Christmas celebration? I can see going along with it for friends that are Christian. But putting up a tree, buying presents. I dunno. I've always been bewildered by people that celebrate to the hilt but do not respect the reason behind it.
You are tricked by Ne, which likes to put meaning into worldly matters. However, a tree, gifts, candles, family, even singing are just that. They stand for whatever people want them to stand for, devoid of inherent meaning or message.

Growing up, the only Christmas carol we had to sing each year was 'O Tannenbaum', which makes no mention of god or Jesus. I guess it is telling that 'Tannenbaum' is usually translated as 'Christmas tree', although it actually means 'fir tree'. For me, Christmas never had a lot to do with Christianity. It has always been about family, gifts, no school, no work, good times.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are tricked by Ne, which likes to put meaning into worldly matters. However, a tree, gifts, candles, family, even singing are just that. They stand for whatever people want them to stand for, devoid of inherent meaning or message.

Growing up, the only Christmas carol we had to sing each year was 'O Tannenbaum', which makes no mention of god or Jesus. I guess it is telling that 'Tannenbaum' is usually translated as 'Christmas tree', although it actually means 'fir tree'. For me, Christmas never had a lot to do with Christianity. It has always been about family, gifts, no school, no work, good times.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a typical German christmas :yes:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Whenever I live in a predominantly Muslim country, people (friends, neighbours) invite me countless times to eat at their home during the Eid (Aïd) week. It's a major religious holiday for Muslims, and unlike the Ramadan, it's a very sympathetic and joyful one -unless you're a sheep of course!-.

Yet, I make no mystery of my religious opinions, (almost) all my friends know it. But they still continue to invite me, and we share a good time together, and that's all that matters. Nobody told me that my presence was a disgrace in the face of Allah. And nobody tried to convert me either.

And it's quite the same with the Couscous in North Africa every friday. Fridays are supposed to be the day of the jumu'ah, the day of worship, and thus you have special traditions and eating habits. And even when you're not Muslim, well... you eat Couscous every friday.

It doesn't seem to create any problem at all. Why should it?

Last edited:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Jesus is not the reason for the season.

Fuck Little Ceasars.

Actually, the 25th december was first designed to celebrate the birth of Mithra. And the event was already rather similar to Christmas.
When Christians invented the mythical person they name Jesus (who never existed at all), they just borrowed everywhere around, everywhere they could. Nothing, even myths, legends and new religions, comes from nothing with a sudden revelation.

It's so obvious, but it seems most Christians never figured why their faith had so many coincidental and similar events with previous religions. They don't realise they worship in fact Mithra and the Sun God during Christmas.

W

WALMART

Actually, the 25th december was first designed to celebrate the birth of Mithra. And the event was quite similar to Christmas.
When Christians invented the mythical person they name Jesus (who never existed at all), they just borrowed everywhere around, everywhere they could.

It's so obvious, but it seems most Christians never figured why their faith had so many coincidental and similar events with previous religions. They don't realise they worship in fact Mithra and the Sun God during Christmas.

I wouldn't give two shits if they had the birth of Jesus on tape and a court order announcing the celebration of his birth to be December twenty-fifth every year.

I like to party and Christmas is mine.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When Christians invented the mythical person they name Jesus (who never existed at all), they just borrowed everywhere around, everywhere they could.

I thought the consensus among most historians is that there probably was a reform rabbi Jehoshua ben Joseph.:huh:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
IME holidays kind of suck when you're the mom. The only really fun part of Christmas for me is giving presents. The other stuff is mostly just extra work. I am so glad my kids are big enough that I don't have to go to school Christmas programs anymore. I hope I don't get roped into going to the Christmas program at my brother's church this year. :ack!: I don't want to have to pretend to like it again until I have grandkids.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who still is not the guy the Bible talks about, because that guy is god's son.

Well, I never claimed he was. Don't forget that I too am an atheist. I was referring to the debate over whether or not that person ever lived ... just like some people claim Socrates never lived and was a literary invention by Plato.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No one cares what Christmas was originally for anymore.

This is why it should just be a secular thing if that's what it's going to be.

All that holiday hoopla associated with Jesus isn't exactly his style I don't think.

Makes the good feels that come with it extra grimy IMO.