• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever changed your religion?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This will be a little difficult for me to answer without fear of being judged, but here goes...

When I was in high school, I had more questions than answers regarding Hinduism (the religion I was born into) as well as Catholicism - so I started searching for answers in other places. During my junior and senior year, I started experimenting with Wicca. I originally wanted to try this path because I thought I could use the knowledge to protect my mom from certain negative influences in her life. There were a few friends of mine who encouraged it, since they knew of my love for nature and of my later desire to become more "connected" with nature in a sense. One such friend (he later died from brain cancer just a few months before I turned 18) saw and described my personality as "a rainbow across a blue sky" - he therefore rechristened me 'Iris'.

I eventually reverted back to Hinduism once I began to understand the scriptures in a new light; but at the same time, I'm grateful for the lessons in humanity, tolerance and mercy that I learned during my high school phase, because they have helped me become a kinder person.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

This will be a little difficult for me to answer without fear of being judged, but here goes...

When I was in high school, I had more questions than answers regarding Hinduism (the religion I was born into) as well as Catholicism - so I started searching for answers in other places. During my junior and senior year, I started experimenting with Wicca. I originally wanted to try this path because I thought I could use the knowledge to protect my mom from certain negative influences in her life. There were a few friends of mine who encouraged it, since they knew of my love for nature and of my later desire to become more "connected" with nature in a sense. One such friend (he later died from brain cancer just a few months before I turned 18) saw and described my personality as "a rainbow across a blue sky" - he therefore rechristened me 'Iris'.

I eventually reverted back to Hinduism once I began to understand the scriptures in a new light; but at the same time, I'm grateful for the lessons in humanity, tolerance and mercy that I learned during my high school phase, because they have helped me become a kinder person.

I don't think anyone is going to judge you for this.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Come to think of it, I'm now calling myself a Sith Taoist, perhaps a category that the "Closed Fist" philosopher named Bladed Thesis in Jade Empire may be.

sithemperor2.jpg

Then there's also the Glorious Strategist under the mysterious guise of your wise Master Li, who has perfected the "Art of Focus"!

masterli.jpg

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was raised Catholic by vaguely theist parents. I tried to be a good believer when I was a schoolchild, but I always related more to the overarching concepts and archetypal patterns in the religion than in the beliefs themselves. When I was a teenager I was a neo-Pagan for a bit. The interesting thing is I feel like I have always harbored the same sort of beliefs, even if their outward manifestations changed.

A catholic education is an excellent innoculation against religion.

I remember a running joke that there is no faster route to atheism than Catholic school.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was more of a transition from religion to spirituality for me. It seemed the more I learned about the Christian religion, the more clearly I saw that the teachings directly opposed religious doctrine in favor of a personal spiritual journey.

I remember even as a little kid learning about the Pharisees at catholic mass and being like "helloo! is this 10-year-old the only person who sees the connection here?"

So with that, I've come to seek God from whatever personal point my unique set of circumstances find me in. I read a quote once that there should be as many religions as there are people, and I really believe that. Each individual's set of practices, actions, etc. should be his own as a unique creation. It's the focus on being internally led to action rather than externally led to spirituality.

For example I use Eastern meditation to help me connect to the spiritual realm. That exact practice might not work for others, in which case they shouldn't do it. For me, I've found it to be an enriching "religious practice".

This is liberating because it's not on me to be perfect. It's on God to be perfect and on me to seek him and trust his guidance. I don't always do that as well as I should, but I will never stop striving for it.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Come to think of it, I'm now calling myself a Sith Taoist, perhaps a category that the "Closed Fist" philosopher named Bladed Thesis in Jade Empire may be.

.....Have you ever played Xenogears? You might like it, judging by the impact the game had on some fans.

Anyway, I went from Protestant Christian to Deist to (reluctant) agnostic (I forgot if I already participated in this thread).

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
It was more of a transition from religion to spirituality for me. It seemed the more I learned about the Christian religion, the more clearly I saw that the teachings directly opposed religious doctrine in favor of a personal spiritual journey.

I remember even as a little kid learning about the Pharisees at catholic mass and being like "helloo! is this 10-year-old the only person who sees the connection here?"

So with that, I've come to seek God from whatever personal point my unique set of circumstances find me in. I read a quote once that there should be as many religions as there are people, and I really believe that. Each individual's set of practices, actions, etc. should be his own as a unique creation. It's the focus on being internally led to action rather than externally led to spirituality.

For example I use Eastern meditation to help me connect to the spiritual realm. That exact practice might not work for others, in which case they shouldn't do it. For me, I've found it to be an enriching "religious practice".

This is liberating because it's not on me to be perfect. It's on God to be perfect and on me to seek him and trust his guidance. I don't always do that as well as I should, but I will never stop striving for it.
I have a similar philisophy on this. I don't mean to offend anybody, but as a child, it was disheartening to see how many people studied and supposedly piously followed religious doctrine but lived lives incongruent with the values they claimed to uphold. As an adult, unfortunately, in most of my experiences with those who claim to be orthodox, I have witnessed them being exclusivist, running in social cliques where they deliberately leave people out based on discriminatory criteria and treat each other shabbily in struggles over power. I actually can't make sense of what the heck they are doing because these actions are then followed up by sermons about "inclusion of all people" and "limitless compassion."

And people believe them. And they act all buddy-buddy. So, I find myself more interested in how people interpret religious beliefs and how it informs their life as opposed to what religion they subscribe to and how devout they claim to be.

And like nicolita, meditation is crucial for me.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I was raised mildly Catholic. Then I switched from Christianity to nothing.

I'm now a foul-mouthed, godless heathen! :laugh:

Alea_iacta_est

I was raised in a pretty secular household, and my parents didn't impose any religions or any spiritual affiliations on me. Before I was 7 I believed in this concept of god, but with no attached meaning, I kind of like acknowledged that people think there is this creator running things behind the scenes and I really didn't have an opinion. When I was 7, I actually began to think about this concept and actually started talking about religion and spiritualism with my classmates and seeing their perspective, naturally, being in the south, these students were taken aback when I didn't particularly know much about the subject. Their first instinct was to try and teach me every little thing about Christianity, and the more I learned about it, the more skeptical I became. Eventually I came to a conclusion, it seemed like a fairy tale to me. I didn't know that there were actually words for people who didn't believe in God at the time, so I didn't fully become an Agnostic until I was somewhere around 10-12 I think. I guess I went from deist to agnostic as a child looking back on it now (Even though my 7 year old self had no clue what deism was).

Mole

Permabanned

How do you feel about the caste system, the position of women, the abuse of children, the superstition, and the endemic poverty of Hinduism?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Born and raised in a family deeply influenced by Sartre, Russel, Marx and Mao.

When I was a teen, I probably was closer to the Existential Atheism point of view: the modern industrial world is gradually losing its enchanted nature, and becomes disenchanted in the process.

I too, am becoming more and more disenchanted somehow, and closer to pure Scientific Atheism (closer to Dawkins ideas). But the paradox is that I believe that technics and computers have become so evolved and so complex that they are currently re-enchanting this world, the invention of Internet being a good example. We now live in a world where nature is devoid of any spirit, elves or gremlins, so we are inventing our own electronic spirits, electronic elves and electronic gremlins to fill that void.

----

Even as a kid, I've never really understood the purpose of religion, or what it could mean to "believe". While I've often witnessed people praying or attending at religious rituals or services, I've never understood what they were doing. I probably never will.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you feel about the caste system, the position of women, the abuse of children, the superstition, and the endemic poverty of Hinduism?

The caste system has no place in today's world, given how those at the "lowest" end are mistreated in India. You would be surprised to find how many people are not able to obtain a decent job there just because of the caste they were "born into". Even the thought of it is disgusting and inhumane to me.

Women and children (along with elders) are supposed to be given the highest respect according to Hinduism, which is why I'm shocked to find that this is not always the case, especially in India. :( Given enough resources and time, I would like to build a safe haven for such people and provide proper education for the children (especially the girls - there is still an unfair advantage given to the boys in that country).

Superstition is superstition, and facts are facts. I can distinguish between these two at least.

There is poverty everywhere in the world, not just in India. This is due to the unfair distribution of wealth and resources (including things like food and shelter). I'm not saying we should adopt a Communist view of things (even that has its flaws), but come on - can't we all be just a little more humane in providing necessary resources to those who are less fortunate than we are?

Mole

Permabanned
This is a nonsensical question. Do you mean endemic poverty of the masses given its roots in Hinduism? I.e., how religion dictates social classes?

I think the caste system of Hinduism has something to do with Indian poverty.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the caste system of Hinduism has something to do with Indian poverty.
The world is full of poverty, and I doubt the majority of the world's poor are Hindus. I see some correlation between focusing on the afterlife, as many religions promote, and undue contentedness with unfair and miserable situations in this life. No religion has a monopoly on this, however.

W

WhoCares

Heaps of times....tried on everything except Jedi and Islam. The trouble with religion for me is that I just cant bow to authority so I end up breaking up with every deity I meet. I think I would classify myself as agnostic now.