• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Purpose Of Life

W

WhoCares

However, if life HAS a purpose, a UNIVERSAL purpose, what could it be?

Universal as in a principle that applies equally to all sentient life in the universe. Or universal as in an infinitely large design in which every individual sentient being has a unique part?

I tend to think the former myself. I think we all exist under the premise that we are here to live out the fullest extent of our existence and there is no greater purpose than that. When all sentient life strives for and achieves the highest evolution possible within that lifetime then the symbiosis of all sentient life creates a random and chaotic cascade that continues on for eternity. Just like breathing, we are born, we do whatever, we die. The next lot are born, do and die. In a perpetual cycle of breathing. As different beings collide on their individual trajectory random and intricate events occur that affect the next round of beings to be birthed, live and die. The universe then evolves as a result.

Mole

Permabanned
The limits of knowledge (the "as far as we know's") don't stop any particular person from endowing the unconscious part of nature with purpose. And anyway, what would be wrong with that?

Sure, you can project purpose into a mountain.

And indeed, philosphers have been asking for centuries, "What is the purpose of Mont Blanc?".

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I agree. The interesting question though, is where this drive comes from.

The drive to exist.

I've said before than striving is what life does best...all things strive...what to be I don't know. But then again that's just one narrow perspective.

W

WhoCares

Natural Selection doesn't occur within a lifetime.

I didn't say anything about natural selection. Evolution - as in the greatest amount of progress possible for that lifetime. I am not talking about anything to do with Darwin's theories.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To do that which is required to make to the next stage. I try to follow the below saying from Solomon.

Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil."

Anything else falls out of the realm of universal (my opinion).

Mole

Permabanned
I didn't say anything about natural selection. Evolution - as in the greatest amount of progress possible for that lifetime. I am not talking about anything to do with Darwin's theories.

You mean you are talking about evolution but you are not talking about, "The Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin?

If that is the case, then I don't know who you are trying to fool: me or yourself.