• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Agree, or disagree?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Jar Jar Binks.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Agree, or disagree? /si. Is there "light at the end of the tunnel"? I'm not asking if there is God, exactly. Rather, is something looking out for us? That's not necessarily the same answer.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Lol @ jar jar binks option, every time.

roflbot.jpg

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scientists say that the light at the end of the tunnel is just chemicals in our brains causing us to hallucinate due to trauma; but I think that the fact that something has a scientific or biological explanation doesn't mean that it doesn't have mystical and spiritual meaning. Maybe our spirits really do go outside our bodies, and there is abnormal brain chemistry at the same time. Why not?

As for something looking after us, I think we help create our reality. Incarnation is accumulating and eliminating karma. Whether this is done by some outside force is questionable. I think it just happens because that's how things work. So yes and no.

Avalon

MBTI Type
INTP
there is light at the end of the tunnel and light beyond the end of space, shamayim

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The original demiurge may possibly be benevolent, but his program has over time been hacked and corrupted by another mind, one bent upon malevolence and the law of the jungle.

Extreme actions must be taken if this treachery is to be undone, now!

The Gods as of now have settled for a contract of hyper-dimensional guidance rather than direct contact.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Scientists say that the light at the end of the tunnel is just chemicals in our brains causing us to hallucinate due to trauma; but I think that the fact that something has a scientific or biological explanation doesn't mean that it doesn't have mystical and spiritual meaning. Maybe our spirits really do go outside our bodies, and there is abnormal brain chemistry at the same time. Why not?

As for something looking after us, I think we help create our reality. Incarnation is accumulating and eliminating karma. Whether this is done by some outside force is questionable. I think it just happens because that's how things work. So yes and no.

Like a metaphysical law?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like a metaphysical law?

Kinda, I guess. I agree with what you said in another thread that there is an underlying order to things. I think that the fundamental laws of nature are (mostly) metaphysically necessary. There are fundamental properties and accidental properties. I don't believe in strict determinism, but I don't think it's all chance either. Everything is in an infinitely intricate system, and the system has a specific way it works; this exists in balance, and balance is good for living things; but there can't be too many living things or else it will throw off the balance of the biosphere (so life is balanced by death). Nature created us, and went to a lot of trouble to do it; I doubt the process would have happened if it was all just random and pointless. That being said, that doesn't mean there is any personification controlling it or any personal attitude in it. It doesn't mean any of us are special. But we are special to ourselves, and to a lot of other people, and so we give our lives meaning. Maybe our karma gives our lives meaning too.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The original demiurge may possibly be benevolent, but his program has over time been hacked and corrupted by another mind, one bent upon malevolence and the law of the jungle.

Extreme actions must be taken if this treachery is to be undone, now!

The Gods as of now have settled for a contract of hyper-dimensional guidance rather than direct contact.

Actually, with this post, you helped me finally understand gnosticism. It's an answer to the issue of "if God is benevolent, then how come the world isn't a better place"?

That being said, I'd still prefer not to gamble the only life I am likely to have on something that may not be real.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kinda, I guess. I agree with what you said in another thread that there is an underlying order to things. I think that the fundamental laws of nature are (mostly) metaphysically necessary. There are fundamental properties and accidental properties. I don't believe in strict determinism, but I don't think it's all chance either. Everything is in an infinitely intricate system, and the system has a specific way it works; this exists in balance, and balance is good for living things; but there can't be too many living things or else it will throw off the balance of the biosphere (so life is balanced by death). Nature created us, and went to a lot of trouble to do it; I doubt the process would have happened if it was all just random and pointless. That being said, that doesn't mean there is any personification controlling it or any personal attitude in it. It doesn't mean any of us are special. But we are special to ourselves, and to a lot of other people, and so we give our lives meaning. Maybe our karma gives our lives meaning too.

I like this. Pantheism explained better than I could. I don't feel it's entirely random and pointless, but I am suspicious of putting too much weight on a spiritual realm outside of what has any hope of being observed by us. I don't think I need to transcend reality, or any of that. I'm not against reality, even if I spend a great deal of it in my own head.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] if Karma is this mighty force so many "great" sages and mystics throughout the ages declare to be, then why did Tim Duncan lose to Lebron James, got all of the wrong bounces in the ending moments? James is a materialistic imbecile, and Duncan is a humble thinker. Clearly Karma (assuming its existence to be real on the fullest level) has gone for the dark side! I ain't letting no Karmic bullshit write my story - I choose to spit against the wind!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because bad things happen to good people, and that is as it should be. Bad and good just describe how we feel about learning our karmic lessons.

:sage:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is the student's ultimate destiny to surpass the master.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know, I guess you could see it that way if we're talking in logic.
Whether or not it can be rendered into reality, I can think of no greater life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I forgot to mention that I prefer to think in terms of expansive horizons rather than confining tunnels.
If you want to see the light, step out into the sunshine!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unfortunately, I sparkle in the sunshine. I'm deep and brooding, but in a totally non-threatening way.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
My life sucked when I thought there was someone watching out for me. Now I kind of resent the fact that I exist in a cruel, godless universe, but my life has improved drastically in just a few months. It's almost awesome.