• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is time?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got the idea for this from the "What is faith?" thread started by [MENTION=19605]mingularity[/MENTION].

Time, at its most basic level, I believe reflects change. It gives things life, since if everything went static, then there would be no unfolding events to experience. But when viewed more philosophically, I can't even begin to grasp the true essence of time. Is time just an arrow extending infinitely in 1 straight direction, or is there something much more to it?

Personally, I take the latter view. It could be seen as a river of sorts, changing speed, whirling in endless spirals, branching off into alternate channels, fluctuating through different depths, ever in motion, and so forth. Perhaps it's also like an acentric labyrinth, without any clear beginning or end, going into all kinds of paradoxical configurations.

Ultimately, time may be so intricate, that even the wisest beings in existence cannot fully visualize what will happen. Maybe it's more like a web of contingencies, with all kinds of "what if" questions. I guess we need to see things in terms of questions, including time. Einstein after all says that everything relative. Time and its perceived changes must be determined by the shifting of contexts.

It may be much like swapping boxes around, each with different laws and items of various designs. Presents come in literal packages, and the metaphorical packages just described also have within them a gift, the "present" time. If we can unleash the present, then there's no telling what wonders may be wrought undreampt of in our time!

W

WALMART

ring.jpg

+

301px-Kaon-Decay.svg.png

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The secret of the “Will” is time. – Time reflects how events unfold, and the “Will” (mental intensity) is a force that will forge and determine what our destiny is meant to be.

W

WALMART

I like that crystallization analogy you presented the other day, RW. Much better than my zipper.

I have a little to postulate to you, whenever you get the chance. Maybe you've read some similar thoughts.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] by all means, present what's on your mind, if you have the "time" (pun intended).

And I see you're reffering this post from some day back: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64966&page=2&p=2155609&viewfull=1#post2155609

superunknown: The quantic dyanamicism of the human mind broke the universe free of its tether!

I used to like that concept, that the universe was open to future possibility but closed once past - that was my zipper of reality theory.

raptorwizard: This view sounds more promising; you're allowing for the idea of "breaking chains" (a possibility the above posters were more closed off from).

I myself still subscribe to this theory (even if you don't anymore), but I'm not sure a zipper is the best metaphor; maybe it's more of a "multi-faceted crystallization".

W

WALMART

I wanted to do it less publicly, but what the heck.

Do you think, say a future event is "primed" to happen - a song on the radio is set to play at 3:12PM CMT, a boulder untouched for 100,000 years is about to erode to the point of rolling down a hill, a film is playing as it does nightly in a theatre - that its existence can "mesh" into the present at some quantifiable form?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wanted to do it less publicly, but what the heck.

Do you think, say a future event is "primed" to happen - a song on the radio is set to play at 3:12PM CMT, a boulder untouched for 100,000 years is about to erode to the point of rolling down a hill, a film is playing as it does nightly in a theatre - that its existence can "mesh" into the present at some quantifiable form?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea; I think you're saying that events destined to happen in the future coexist with the present events leading up to them. In that sense, the future is already here, from a certain point of view.

If you want to do PM or Ventrilo, that's also an option.

W

WALMART

Hmm, that's an interesting idea; I think you're saying that events destined to happen in the future coexist with the present events leading up to them. In that sense, the future is already here, from a certain point of view.

If you want to do PM or Ventrilo, that's also an option.

Yes, and more dynamic events are "blurred" with the potential of the many factors inherent to the systems they occupy, giving less concise readings.

I probably won't be to my comp for a while, but I'll try being on a bit over the next few days.

W

WALMART

In case you were curious, yes, this is in relation to my interest in precognition.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In case you were curious, yes, this is in relation to my interest in precognition.

I think in some Star Wars game I played, precognition had something to do with "sensing" the next immediate actions, and preparing for them accordingly.

So if we had the right visions for the future, perhaps it could already be happening within us, and then our minds just take the necessary steps to make it happen.