• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dumping one set of beliefs for what appears like more crazy or zany ones?

Lark

What do you think about this?

I've known people who've attacked and dumped one belief system as irrational or mistaken or wrong but adopted what appears to be a more crazy or zany one in its place, I mentioned a guy I knew at university briefly who was a fundamentalist roman catholic who then became, via Spainish history, a fascist, I've known other people who have left the religious congregations or churches traditions of their family or parents but then gravitated towards evangelical groups, cults or fundamentalisms.

Do you think there's an underlying character structure which makes for this sort of thing or is it entirely to do with context, peer pressure, peer direction or culture and memes?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It could be that the person is drawn to move away from their family norm or the familiar aesthetically. For me, my father's protestant church feels mainstream. Hymns are played on electric guitar, sermons are illustrated with clips from popular television shows...it's so normal, because the congregation tries to pull people in with familiar styles. Not so with a few spiritual paths I tried in college, and that I eventually drifted away from because I realized I was just looking for something different more than I was actually resonating with the teachings, and could make my own way just as well and a lot more sincerely.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I've known people who've attacked and dumped one belief system as irrational or mistaken or wrong but adopted what appears to be a more crazy or zany one in its place, I mentioned a guy I knew at university briefly who was a fundamentalist roman catholic who then became, via Spainish history, a fascist, I've known other people who have left the religious congregations or churches traditions of their family or parents but then gravitated towards evangelical groups, cults or fundamentalisms.

Do you think there's an underlying character structure which makes for this sort of thing or is it entirely to do with context, peer pressure, peer direction or culture and memes?
I believe it has to do with desperation...

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I think age and culture have a lot to do with what you are describing.

If you are younger, say under 25, you are more likely to be trying on things and exploring. Americans are a diverse lot and with immigration this effect is renewed due to the increased likelihood of encountering a new system. Additionally America is an outlier (compared to other wealthy nations. Pew Research ªªª http://www.pewglobal.org/2002/12/19/among-wealthy-nations/) when it comes to religious belief, in that a large percentage are theistic. I think this adds pressure to be ¨something¨. Finally Americans are very mobile and the effect of moving to new areas (U.S. Religion Map and Religious Population http://religions.pewforum.org/maps) compounds the above.

Can Personality Be Changed? The Role of Beliefs in Personality and Change ªªª http://www.stanford.edu/dept/psychology/cgi-bin/drupalm/system/files/cdweckpersonalitychanged.pdf

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This sounds a lot like someone who say, stops drinking then becomes a motorcycle fanatic. Or a fitness nut. Or a born again Christian. They're just exchanging one addiction or crutch for another but I think it's some kind of addictive personality. Maybe somewhat cultural or peer direction. I know some people see it as just being dedicated.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Perhaps what thu are dumping is the sense of complacency and empty religious action, in exchange for what they beilieve is an authentic spiritual experience. They chase it because it is outlandish and it makes them actually feel something.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've known people who can't dump a set of beliefs, and they are worse.

Little_Sticks

I've known some people like that. They needed something to believe in as a guiding measure for their lives. I preferred the philosophical approach in order to understand the different ways of being and believing, but for these people they feel they require something much more conclusive and concrete and definitive about how they should live. Personally, I don't usually like people that take rules too seriously.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think if you are fanatical in character you will carry that into your beliefs. You may drop one belief and pick up another (even opposing) with renewed zeal. If you have more of a wishy washy character you may also carry that through. I have thought about this before...wondered what ingredients comprise the most ardent dogmatists.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

It sounds to me like why they said the left a belief behind, and why they really did are two different things. That's why their stated reason and actions don't add up.

I suppose the answer to your question lies in whether or they are primarily lying to themselves or everyone else. Self deception is largely an internal affair, while lying to others is likely to be much more based in peer pressure or just an unwillingness to share with, or confide in, those around them.

Either way, I think a person individual personality woulf be very influential in how they respond to such pressures.

ygolo

My termites win

A need for certainty.

One thing nutty belief systems seem to have in common is circular set of beliefs that provide an irrational certainty in the face of countervailing evidence.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
A need for certainty.

One thing nutty belief systems seem to have in common is circular set of beliefs that provide an irrational certainty in the face of countervailing evidence.

Indeed, very often true!