• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Commonly abused logical Fallacies..

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Loaded question fallacy. This is a fallacy that might be committed when someone ask us a question. The question that they pose is Loaded with assumption that question poser should have question before posing.
Like the question what do you hate in math?is fallacious the question raiser assumes that the person to whom he pose his question to does hate math, while his state of feeling whether he hate or does not hate math should have been inquired prior to the question.
To elaborate, before posing what do you hate in math? the question raiser should ask whether the person to whom he raised the question do hate math by posing a closed ended question: Do you hate math? Otherwise, the question raiser don't really know the state of feeling of the person, whether there is hatred towards math in the person or not. The question raiser actually only assumed that he does hate math that the question raiser have committed loaded question fallacy.

Beg the question fallacy
An attempt to invalidate the cognitive functions using empirical evidence commits beg the question: will the cognitive functions be invalidated because the scientist did not manage to find empirical evidence, is that the nature of psychological function is observable that any observable by the five senses facts will be necessary and sufficient to prove or disprove its existence?. Those questions should be raised and satisfyingly answered before an attempt to collect empirical data is undertaken.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just stopping by to say that's it is legitimately impossible to debate without some form of fallacy, and if one is too focused on fallacy, they learn nothing. Fallacy is what you could consider the "Human element" to debates. We are not robots, we are not perfect. We all have issues and debate tactics we use when getting emotional. I really fucking hate the hyper focus on fallacies in debate. But if I had to say the ones I hate the most, is the person who attacks your character rather than your argument. I also dislike the entire existence of the "Slippery slope" fallacy, as in fact there are things in life that are "Slippery slopes".

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Name one.

Societal evolution. There is a series of societal traits that once they become dominate, it leads to the fall of a society. A common example is what happened to Rome. What happens when a country embraces hedonism? In this instance, one thing literally does lead to another. While I have nothing against LGBT, the normalization of it has led to attempts of normalization of pedophilia (in the form of underaged drag queens for example who get treated like strippers). There is a push to consider pedophilia a sexual orientation. There are even tv shows on it. The slippery slope predicts zoophilia after pedophilia on the staircase of degeneracy and its been right every time. I am already seeing examples of it. So yeah, I am going to call this one real.

rav3n

Societal evolution. There is a series of societal traits that once they become dominate, it leads to the fall of a society. A common example is what happened to Rome. What happens when a country embraces hedonism? In this instance, one thing literally does lead to another. While I have nothing against LGBT, the normalization of it has led to attempts of normalization of pedophilia (in the form of underaged drag queens for example who get treated like strippers). There is a push to consider pedophilia a sexual orientation. There are even tv shows on it. The slippery slope predicts zoophilia after pedophilia on the staircase of degeneracy and its been right every time. I am already seeing examples of it. So yeah, I am going to call this one real.
The Roman Empire didn't fall because of societal evolution. It fell from being stretched too thin and the invasion from Germanic tribes that caused numerous military losses.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Roman Empire didn't fall because of societal evolution. It fell from being stretched too thin and the invasion from Germanic tribes that caused numerous military losses.

It was also the first to embrace democratic means, hedonism, sexual degeneracy, and allowing woman to vote. Aka progressive.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Uhh.. think that is a fallacy, though.

rav3n

It was also the first to embrace democratic means, hedonism, sexual degeneracy, and allowing woman to vote. Aka progressive.
This would be a non-sequitur since your statement doesn't logically follow why the Roman Empire fell, from being stretched too thin and the invasion of Germanic tribes, causing numerous military losses.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This would be a non-sequitur since your statement doesn't logically follow why the Roman Empire fell, from being stretched too thin and the invasion of Germanic tribes, causing numerous military losses.

What would military loses have to do with Rome being sacked by a barbarian tribe? That's illogical. Must be the gays gaying things up.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Strawman.

She did say the gays were part of a slippery slope that led to the Roman Empire's downfall, though. I suppose "progressivism" was the original first cause, not gays, but the gays definitely played a role in her argument. Gays gaying things up did in fact have something to do with the fall of the Roman Empire in her opinion.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She did say the gays were part of a slippery slope that led to the Roman Empire's downfall, though. I suppose "progressivism" was the original first cause, not gays, but the gays definitely played a role in her argument. Gays gaying things up did in fact have something to do with the fall of the Roman Empire in her opinion.

Not causation, but part of what lead to it. Hence it being a slippery slope fallacy, but in reality.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not causation, but part of what lead to it. Hence it being a slippery slope fallacy, but in reality.

It's not a great case for an example of a slippery slope fallacy that is a reality. At least, I don't find it terribly convincing? Can you think of something concerning something less controversial, perhaps not linked to contemporary politics?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not a great case for an example of a slippery slope fallacy that is a reality. At least, I don't find it terribly convincing? Can you think of something concerning something less controversial, perhaps not linked to contemporary politics?

Thats literally the whole point of it being considered a fallacy, but you can see evidence of the contrary. You are not going to find "Examples" of a fallacy being true. Use your brain.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thats literally the whole point of it being considered a fallacy, but you can see evidence of the contrary. You are not going to find "Examples" of a fallacy being true. Use your brain.

This is just like on Discord where you tried to convince me that Trump was secretly a genius playing 5 dimensional chess because of all the stuff he got passed and you couldn't give me a single example.