User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

I don't believe in a thing. Therefore said thing does not exist. This is rational.
    Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.

Oh, we're always all right. You remember that. We happen to other people.

And I see fire, hollowing souls
    And I see fire, blood in the breeze
    And I hope that you'll remember me...

Likes Jazzy Orchid liked this post

heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Oh, there's whataboutism. I am really sick of this in political discourse. It may have already been mentioned here.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

I think in day to day life one of the most common ones I encounter is the fallacy of relative privation..or more commonly known as the "not as bad as" fallacy.

It's one thing to suggest that people should be more grateful when complaining about comparatively minor issues, it is something else entirely to use that comparison to ignore or dismiss actually doing something about the issue. Or intellectually dishonest people who love to use this to make anyone voicing dissatisfaction feel guilty when they themselves are known to voice similar complaints about even less extreme circumstances.

An example I've used before is that of a parent using 'starving African children' as a way to guilt their children into eating all of their food, even if they claim they are full. Sure, the child could be spoilt and trying it on to get something sweet and gratifying, or maybe the parent knows from experience that they might be hungry later, but that doesn't change the fact that the parent has no intentions of doing anything to help any starving children. They have a different agenda, with its roots in control and convenience.
    Likes Powehi, Vendrah liked this post

The human tl;dr Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar

Non sequitur in the form of "it's the current year/decade/century"

Stating the current year, decade or century is not a solid basis for an argument.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I'm guilty of this one: Appeal to novelty - Wikipedia Just because something is shiny and new doesn't mean it's good.

Reversal of the appeal to tradition, a fallacy I see used a lot by social conservatives. Just because something was done a certain way for a long time doesn't mean it was a good or sound way.
    Likes Jazzy Orchid liked this post

heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    Non sequitur in the form of "it's the current year/decade/century"

Stating the current year, decade or century is not a solid basis for an argument.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I'm guilty of this one: Appeal to novelty - Wikipedia Just because something is shiny and new doesn't mean it's good.

Reversal of the appeal to tradition, a fallacy I see used a lot by social conservatives. Just because something was done a certain way for a long time doesn't mean it was a good or sound way.
    Oooh, don't forget appeal to nature!
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

I don't remember it that way. So it didn't happen that way.
    Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.

Oh, we're always all right. You remember that. We happen to other people.

And I see fire, hollowing souls
    And I see fire, blood in the breeze
    And I hope that you'll remember me...

Likes Powehi liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    I think in day to day life one of the most common ones I encounter is the fallacy of relative privation..or more commonly known as the "not as bad as" fallacy.

It's one thing to suggest that people should be more grateful when complaining about comparatively minor issues, it is something else entirely to use that comparison to ignore or dismiss actually doing something about the issue. Or intellectually dishonest people who love to use this to make anyone voicing dissatisfaction feel guilty when they themselves are known to voice similar complaints about even less extreme circumstances.

An example I've used before is that of a parent using 'starving African children' as a way to guilt their children into eating all of their food, even if they claim they are full. Sure, the child could be spoilt and trying it on to get something sweet and gratifying, or maybe the parent knows from experience that they might be hungry later, but that doesn't change the fact that the parent has no intentions of doing anything to help any starving children. They have a different agenda, with its roots in control and convenience.
    Oh I hate that one too!! If it actually makes someone feel better, then that seems a little sick to me. Why would hearing about horrible suffering make me feel better? Maybe it assumes that people think their own suffering is the only one happening in the world, but that takes a phenomenally stupid, self-centered person to think that. I'm always a little sad because my brain will continually glimpse sufferings, and sometimes getting caught up in my own nonsense hurts less than looking at the whole of the suffering in the world. All I know is that the approach you describe is the surest way to send me into depressive thinking if I'm not already there. I have never understood why anyone would think that's a good idea.
    Likes Cellmold, Vendrah liked this post

MBTI
    ANFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    Oh I hate that one too!! If it actually makes someone feel better, then that seems a little sick to me. Why would hearing about horrible suffering make me feel better? Maybe it assumes that people think their own suffering is the only one happening in the world, but that takes a phenomenally stupid, self-centered person to think that. I'm always a little sad because my brain will continually glimpse sufferings, and sometimes getting caught up in my own nonsense hurts less than looking at the whole of the suffering in the world. All I know is that the approach you describe is the surest way to send me into depressive thinking if I'm not already there. I have never understood why anyone would think that's a good idea.
    That happens against me too and I feel pretty much the same way.
    Some people had been even using that with good intentions in their argument for seeing the bright side of things, like "at least you are not a starving". I always said that it just makes me feel worse...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Quote Originally Posted by typologyenthusiast View Post
    The second part of my post probably is, but I find that the thinking that results in the fallacy of privation can lead to the second based on the context. Because human beings are only partly logical, this seems an area worth considering. Especially since we are discussing 'commonly' abused fallacies, as common invites an explanation of why they are common and, as such, they may be tied to other areas of behaviour and thinking in their common use.

But perhaps this thread is intended to be purely about the fallacies themselves. This is a good demonstration that it is difficult to escape committing a fallacy at some point.

Although it appears that a few of us found some similarities in experience, which might lend itself towards this being a common occurrence and maybe it is more suitable to the thread after all.