User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 81

  1. #41
    Curious... The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx
    Posts
    21,686

    Default

    My side would never do what your side does.
    Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.


    Oh, we're always all right. You remember that. We happen to other people.

    And I see fire, hollowing souls
    And I see fire, blood in the breeze
    And I hope that you'll remember me...


  2. #42
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    5,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    This is just like on Discord where you tried to convince me that Trump was secretly a genius playing 5 dimensional chess because of all the stuff he got passed and you couldn't give me a single example.
    I already provided an example, you just didn't see it how I see it. The Greek culture flooded roman culture, creating a shift in the highly conservative society through soft influence. Resulting in easy pickings for barbarian hordes. It is where the idea of the "age of decadence" even comes from. It was more than "being stretched thin".

  3. #43
    Curious... The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx
    Posts
    21,686

    Default

    Basrbarian Hordes indeed, sounds like Roman Propaganda.

    And you know how they are.
    Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.


    Oh, we're always all right. You remember that. We happen to other people.

    And I see fire, hollowing souls
    And I see fire, blood in the breeze
    And I hope that you'll remember me...


  4. #44
    heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    14,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Basrbarian Hordes indeed, sounds like Roman Propaganda.

    And you know how they are.
    Oh my god, I should definitely watch that tonight. Definitely the best Python movie. I feel like Meaning of Life is trying too hard to appeal to Americans with sex jokes. Not that I'm opposed to sex jokes.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  5. #45
    heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    14,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sung Jin-Woo View Post
    I already provided an example, you just didn't see it how I see it. The Greek culture flooded roman culture, creating a shift in the highly conservative society through soft influence. Resulting in easy pickings for barbarian hordes. It is where the idea of the "age of decadence" even comes from. It was more than "being stretched thin".

    Dude, you just said that it was ridiculous to look for examples of fallacies being true because they are fallacies. Look, I'm asking you for something you'd need to show me to convince me. A non-controversial example (Gays destroy civillization is controversial). I'm not a scholar of the Roman Empire, so I really can't verify the accuracy of any of your claims, and it doesn't help that you're using that to support your own political positions. Pick something outside of that. I'm trying to help you win your case, because I like you even though support Trump.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  6. #46
    Typology Innovator Vendrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    MBTI
    ANFP
    Enneagram
    592
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Did you two (@Julius_Van_Der_Beak and @Sung Jin-Woo) read @Obfuscate article?
    Just a small part of it:
    "Every skeptic is familiar with the saying: correlation does not imply causation. To think otherwise is to commit the post hoc ergo propter hoc (or cum hoc) fallacy. (...) Imagine you eat some mushrooms you picked in the forest. Half an hour later you feel nauseated, so you put two and two together: “Ugh. That must have been the mushrooms”. Are you committing a fallacy? Not as long as your inference is merely inductive and probabilistic. (...) Indeed, almost all of our everyday causal knowledge is derived from such intuitive post hoc reasoning."

    I agree completely after that read that article with this:
    "if one is too focused on fallacy, they learn nothing"
    Its true, if we stop to think about it, there is the authority fallacy, ad verecundiam. If no argument can be validated by any sort of authority or professional, then there is no reason to go to the doctor when you are sick, since any person stands any groung on that opinion. Its almost impossible to live without some "fallacy" at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by typologyenthusiast View Post
    Beg the question fallacy
    An attempt to invalidate the cognitive functions using empirical evidence commits beg the question: will the cognitive functions be invalidated because the scientist did not manage to find empirical evidence, is that the nature of psychological function is observable that any observable by the five senses facts will be necessary and sufficient to prove or disprove its existence?. Those questions should be raised and satisfyingly answered before an attempt to collect empirical data is undertaken.
    I catch your indirectness to me, although I do think you mean no offense.
    So, all evidence is a fallacy? Or just the ones with cognitive functions? You dont need to answer, Im ok...
    Likes Dareyth liked this post

  7. #47
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    5,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Dude, you just said that it was ridiculous to look for examples of fallacies being true because they are fallacies. Look, I'm asking you for something you'd need to show me to convince me. A non-controversial example (Gays destroy civillization is controversial). I'm not a scholar of the Roman Empire, so I really can't verify the accuracy of any of your claims, and it doesn't help that you're using that to support your own political positions. Pick something outside of that. I'm trying to help you win your case, because I like you even though support Trump.
    Have you ever tried using your own logic, and not always relying something that already exists? You can formulate logic and reasoning, even without knowing. Why is that so hard for some people. Do you feel insecure when you don't have the facts to back up literally everything you say? Try debating, with just your current knowledge and understanding. It is much more fun that way.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sung Jin-Woo View Post
    Have you ever tried using your own logic, and not always relying something that already exists? You can formulate logic and reasoning, even without knowing. Why is that so hard for some people. Do you feel insecure when you don't have the facts to back up literally everything you say? Try debating, with just your current knowledge and understanding. It is much more fun that way.
    Have you ever tried the opposite? It would make skimming your asinine posts slightly more tolerable.

  9. #49
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    5,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Have you ever tried the opposite? It would make skimming your asinine posts slightly more tolerable.
    And have you ever tried being polite and respectful? It might make me put in more effort if I knew I wasn't going to be attacked on a personal level.

  10. #50
    heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    14,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sung Jin-Woo View Post
    Have you ever tried using your own logic, and not always relying something that already exists? You can formulate logic and reasoning, even without knowing. Why is that so hard for some people. Do you feel insecure when you don't have the facts to back up literally everything you say? Try debating, with just your current knowledge and understanding. It is much more fun that way.
    Might I suggest that the reason why I'm not accepting your statements as irrefutable truth is exactly because I'm using my own logic? Perhaps I am asking for data and factual examples because that would be one way of helping to either convince me or understand my own position better. Another thing that would work might be a detailed explanation showing the how and why of how a "real" slippery slope would operate, and why it's actually true even though it might get labeled as a fallacy.

    My general experience with people using arguments that qualify as slippery slope fallacies is that it's sloppy reasoning used to support an idea that doesn't make sense in the first place, but has some particular emotional appeal for the person holding. Usually, I'm better at spotting that when the idea does not have emotional appeal for me.

    The "gays destroy civilization like in Ancient Rome" is not an idea that has any particular emotional appeal for me, since I associate it with Dubya-era conservatism. Which is quite ironic because I thought Trumpism was supposed to "socially liberal" at least in the sense that it's pro-LGBT. Personally I suspect that "pro-LGBT" elements of Trumpism are things that only really come into play when fundamentalism Muslims are in the picture, which has a direct parallel with the relationship between feminism and Dubya-era neoconservatism.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Commonalities/differences between ENFP and ENFJ
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM
  2. [NT] NTs: how do logical fallacies make you feel?
    By Society in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM
  3. [INFJ] Is it common for INFJ's to come out of abusive/neglectful homes?
    By ReadingRainbows in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
  4. Alternative logic systems versus sociopathic traits.
    By Park in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO