• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Philosopher Do You Dislike the Most?

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
ta-da! simple question, who do you dislike the most out of the philosophers scoured through time, and if you can manage--'why?'

Hmm, this is a toughie for me. I suppose since I find appealing ideas in just about every philosopher and I might feel like I don't know 'any' philosopher 100% to make such a judgment, BUT! if I had to say, I would probably say...

Colin McGinn. He wrote this paper and book about consciousness where he basically gives up on it with really incomplete support and bad analogies (though some of them can be fun) and although his writing style is pretty clear, mostly I feel that is all there is too it, no great substance, just some general slang throwing without much support. Nevertheless, his absence of considering new ideas and research etc., leads him to propose a rebirth of a philosophy of conscious movement entitled 'New Mysterianism' (aka Anti-Constructive Naturalism) where basically he says consciousness exists, but we can never know anything more about it...ever... :mellow:

I suppose the idea that he can trust past experiences and data just enough to lead him to think consciousness exists but to completely throw away any new info that proposes further is silly. It's like, 'if you are going to trust your exp enough to get the idea of consc. then why not enough to get more?' giving up just cause it doesn't make sense yet, seems pretty silly, if that were the case, he might as well have given up when he was 6yrs old and didn't know much of anything then...cause if he didn't know then, what hope was there that he would have known later? :p

lol anyways Colin McGinn is probably up there for me :p

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Karl Marx.

Commie scum! It's so hard to believe that some people still think communism works. (Hilary Clinton should DIE!!!) Sure it sounds ideal, but there is no logic.

And what idiot would abolish private property?

The ideology makes no sense and it's stupid.

Better dead than red!

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Until you've had someone read The Communist Manifesto while you're in the shower, before you've had coffee or breakfast or gotten the eye boogers off your face, you can't begin to appreciate the pleasure of that text. :dry:

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
For some reason, I find some of the Marxists endearing. They seem to have a child-like quality of fascination with that particular belief. Of course, I don't find it endearing enough to go live in a Marxist society.:doh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now that we're talking about philosophers, what is the reason for Thomas Hobbes being an ESTJ according to Keirsey? That's definitely not a common type for philosophers.

I dunno, Hobbes was known for some very complex abstractions, namely what later became political science.

Though much of the way Keirsey categorizes things is just beyond me. But I don't really see much different in Hobbes' way of thinking than any of the other philosophers.

Anyway...I'm also not fond of John Locke. Although he was the inventor of British empiricism, he ended up with a lot of contradictory views.

ygolo

My termites win
Do you mean who's philosophies do I least like, which one I like the least as a person?

I've taken a few pholosopher's viewpoints as food for thought. Nothing really to dislike so far.

Also, I know very little about the lives they lead, but Nietzsche didn't seem like someone I would like.

I think there is something to his "Will to Power" notion, though.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Leo Strauss

Yeah, he sucks, too. Grandfather of the Neo-Cons and promoter of some of the worst elements of Plato's elitist political philosophy (such as leaders lying to keep the sheep in line). *puke*