• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

For those who believe in spirit/soul...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have another problem if someone wants of speculate.

I have come to conclusion that time travelling could be in direct conflict with christianity.

Problem

You go 200 years back and help another person to have a happy life instead of commiting many crimes.
But the problem is that the soul of that person is already in hell.
So when that person dies what will happen. Will the soul be moved in heaven or duplicate will be made so that it can be on both places what makes sense because that soul lived good and bad life.

I can complicate even further but this is enough for now.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have come to conclusion that time travelling could be in direct conflict with christianity.

Problem

You go 200 years back and help another person to have a happy life instead of commiting many crimes.
So when that person dies what will happen. Will the soul be moved in heaven or duplicate will be made so that it can be on both places what makes sense because that soul lived good and bad life.

I believe heaven and hell are metaphorical and not literal. They are symbols for the spiritual/mental/emotional state.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The belief that we even have bodies based on the data we receive from the senses is itself a philosophical construct.

I would say the evidence for a mind, (i.e., a soul), is much harder than the evidence for the existence of any material bodies; for material existence is itself an abstraction to which we appeal to in order to explain the more immediate phenomena of our mental states: our knowledge of mental existence is more immediate, and therefore more certain, than our knowledge of material existence. Without knowlege of the mental, we could have no knowledge of the material.

Hmm, true. Not practical in terms of living daily life, but true from a philosophical standpoint.

And we've all heard the example of basically how the brain is in a box -- the skull, literally -- and gets all input from the wires running out from it, so if the input to the wires can be fooled/changed, the brain would believe what it was told if it seemed consistent.

All we can be aware of is in the internal mental state... although our awareness and language -- the tangibles of our consciousness -- are based on the constructs/language we learned through those pathways. So it's sort of odd to say our mental state exists separately, when the fact we are conscious and can "talk to ourselves" and evaluate input itself is built partly on those streams of data we've assumed were true. Doesn't mean it's not true, it just seems rather ironic.

I have come to conclusion that time travelling could be in direct conflict with christianity.You go 200 years back and help another person to have a happy life instead of commiting many crimes. ..

Why stop there?

Let's get a team together and go back and save Jesus!

(talk about REALLY mucking up a predominant faith system.)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Christianity is absolute when it comes to salvation or damnation. Besides, I thought souls are only eternally damned come Judgment Day, which occurs at the end of the timeline.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Christianity is absolute when it comes to salvation or damnation. Besides, I thought souls are only eternally damned come Judgment Day, which occurs at the end of the timeline.

Technically, you're right -- that's the "final" punishment. But the convention for conservative Christians generally is that once you're dead, you can't change where you're going. So really you're just sitting around in stir, waiting for the eternal damnation.. and you have "Tinder" stamped on your forehead.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Problem

Here's a few points you might want to consider with your "problem".

A) Time traveling (in the backward direction) hasn't been accomplished yet, so this isn't really a "problem".

B) Your views on time travel sound more like the plot of a science fiction movie, than something based on a possible time travel scenario.

C) (part 1) Christians have widely varying viewpoints about heaven and hell.

C) (part 2) See Samuel's comment about Judgement Day.

Jennifer said:
Why stop there?

Let's get a team together and go back and save Jesus!

(talk about REALLY mucking up a predominant faith system.)

D) Assuming he is the Son of God, then you're not going to be able to stop the crucifiction, time travel or no. (And if he's not then you'd really need to stop the Apostle Paul more than the crucifiction.)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Here's a few points you might want to consider with your "problem".

A) Time traveling (in the backward direction) hasn't been accomplished yet, so this isn't really a "problem".

B) Your views on time travel sound more like the plot of a science fiction movie, than something based on a possible time travel scenario.

C) (part 1) Christians have widely varying viewpoints about heaven and hell.

C) (part 2) See Samuel's comment about Judgement Day.

I am aware of that but this entire thread is so theoretical and full of hypothesis so it was a right place to post this.

I've said I will not complicate further because entire thing is ridiculous from realistic point of view.
But it is a interesting scenario from theoretical point of view.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Assuming he is the Son of God, then you're not going to be able to stop the crucifiction, time travel or no. (And if he's not then you'd really need to stop the Apostle Paul more than the crucifiction.)

Giving up on Jesus already?
After all he's done for you??

(If you're scared to go back to a time without modern bathrooms or Pop-Tarts, just admit it!)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Giving up on Jesus already?
After all he's done for you??

(If you're scared to go back to a time without modern bathrooms or Pop-Tarts, just admit it!)

Do you know what they use in 3rd world countries instead of toilet paper? It's not pretty. :dont:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you ever visit a less-developed country where they bow instead of shaking hands, then you can fully appreciate how much of a social courtesy that really is. :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Spirit resides in the soul. The soul, contains the spirit. Souls, and spirits, are eternal.