• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions about coincidence

clueless

Permabanned
How do you explain coincidence or synchronicity? Are coincidences random or do they have some sort of meaning? What causes them to happen?

On a similar note, do you believe that we create reality? Are we able to manifest thought? And if so, what then is reality?

Mole

Permabanned
It's Chance.

How do you explain coincidence or synchronicity? Are coincidences random or do they have some sort of meaning? What causes them to happen?

It's just that we notice when things coincide. And we don't notice when things don't coincide. And so we start to see patterns where none exist.

Chance can be understood quite easily in Statistics.

So it is chance that exists rather than coincidence or synchronicity.

V.

Mole

Permabanned
So it's chance and reality

On a similar note, do you believe that we create reality? Are we able to manifest thought? And if so, what then is reality?

Reality remains the same no matter what we think.

V.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I believe everything has meaning. We just need to recognize it, which usually happens when you have enough distance away from the time/topic to notice.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Synchronicity.. coincidence.. I am inclined to believe are a product of heightened awareness, which is most desirable.

hiddengem

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I prefer to recognize positive coincidences such as my favorite you-and-I-are-made-for-each-other song playing on the radio when I am having a "discussion" with my sweetie. On the other hand, if it is the you-broke-my-heart-and-I'm-leaving type, then it is just a random event that I ignore. ;)

I think that we create our own reality to a certain degree or at least what our perception of that reality is. No two people are going to see the same event in the same way. Each will see what they believe to be true.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I view time as a sloshing fluid so coincidence, even deja vu, occur at a high rate with me. There are times when I'd be writing down a word - a really odd word like "gerrymander" - and someone on the TV will say it at the exact moment. Utterly bizarre. It happens to me constantly.

I also find as an NF I have difficulty believing in anything having no meaning or less meaning than my Ni is plucking from it.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I view time as a sloshing fluid so coincidence, even deja vu, occur at a high rate with me. There are times when I'd be writing down a word - a really odd word like "gerrymander" - and someone on the TV will say it at the exact moment. Utterly bizarre. It happens to me constantly.

I also find as an NF I have difficulty believing in anything having no meaning or less meaning than my Ni is plucking from it.

The other night we were watching Juno; her boyfriend says of another girl that she "smells like soup." I'd never before heard anyone described in that way. The very next night we watched a British mini-series in which one of the characters says to a girl that she smells like soup.

I also have a heightened awareness of synchronicity and coincidence, which feel meaningful to me, even if they're random.

Last edited:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The other night we were watching Juno; her boyfriend says of another girl that she "smells like soup." The very next night we watched a British mini-series in which one of the characters says to a girl that she smells like soup. I'd never before heard anyone described in that way.

Too funny! Even though I must confess, I say people smell like soup frequently. :D Not that they do. It's just such a silly insult I can't refrain from it.

I also have a heightened awareness of synchronicity and coincidence, which feel meaningful to me, even if they're random.

Agreed! And I don't think it's "DaVinci Code" meaning either. I really do honestly see how things connect up in a legitimate way, with some concrete explanation mixed with the uncanny.

Then again, I ought never to allow my Se to get a hold of my Ni because the two of them create the most marvelously Rube Goldberg theories out of little occurrences. Sometimes it's amusing. Sometimes it puts me into a spiral. Ni goes blind. I have to tap someone with Ne or primary S to clarify for me.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read a book on synchronicity last summer (C.G. Jung's Psychology of Religion and Synchronicity by Robert Aziz). Rather heavy reading, at least for me. Anyway, Jung's explanation for synchronicity has something to do with "archetypes," or specifically the idea that two coincidental events are noticed by us primarily because of the fact that we are able to perceive a common pattern between them, an "archetype" as he calls it. I know when most people see the word "archetype" they think of "literary archetypes," ie common roles for characters, but I believe the definition here is meant to be a much larger one encompassing any basic "pattern" our minds can perceive.

The book goes into all kinds of ridiculous detail about how the human race knows many archetypes collected over the years into what he calls the "collective unconscious," and then there's some metaphysical speculation as to the nature of the collective unconscious and so forth.

What does it all mean?

After reading through 200-some-odd pages of deep stuff, it's still anyone's guess.
(addendum: ) Actually now that I recall, the book's point is to consider such "meaningful coincidences" in terms of, well, what "meaning" you find from them. The point is that one's own perception of such coincidences is a highly personalized interpretation and that interpretation tells us a lot about ourselves, our character and what is important to us at that point in time. The more important such patterns are to us, the more emotion we will feel when we notice these coincidences (the "numinous charge" as they call it).

Robert Aziz has another book, "The Syndetic Paradigm" - The Untrodden Path beyond Freud and Jung, which I've purchased but haven't cracked quite yet. I gave the first chapter a read and decided to move on to something else. I think, as the title suggests, he's trying to create a superset theory to Freud and Jung's ideas, something about reality being a "self-organizing system" or whatever.

(warning: my crackpot theory below, please use iodized salt to flavor)
My personal guess? By definition, anyone who's highly "intuitive"--definable as someone who can perceive reality in terms of "patterns" (and this doesn't only mean an N-type preference, it could mean an S-type who has very well developed intuition)--has a natural ability to be highly sensitive to viewing archetypes, or "seeing meaning in coincidences" around them.
I consider the act of perceiving events and reducing them to an "archetype" to be potentially the "essence" of Ni, or an essential description of what it does. A pattern may have sequence to it--you might know that if A happens, B will happen next, followed by C or D, and E after all of that. I believe that one can take a subset of events and consider a number of possible known "patterns" (or "archetypes") that may apply to them, and an Ni-adept type may in fact do just that. As a result, if an Ni-type sees a small subset of events, their mind determines the root archetype at play there, and based on what they know of that archetype's sequence, they may be able to "predict" what will happen next, and this "prediction" is the root source of an Ni-type's so-called "prophetic" ability.

clueless

Permabanned
Thanks everyone, for replying.

Actually now that I recall, the book's point is to consider such "meaningful coincidences" in terms of, well, what "meaning" you find from them. The point is that one's own perception of such coincidences is a highly personalized interpretation and that interpretation tells us a lot about ourselves, our character and what is important to us at that point in time. The more important such patterns are to us, the more emotion we will feel when we notice these coincidences (the "numinous charge" as they call it).

So then, I wonder if coincidence could be looked upon as something that may potentially serve as a guideline. If we choose to follow those patterns in terms of discovering the possibilites that ultimately might be helpful in our lives, perhaps we are using a non-linear (intuitive) method of accessing information. I'll take a look at the book you recommended as I'd like to understand more about it. Coincidences happen constantly in my life to the point where I'm almost going crazy. Well, maybe not crazy, but at least confounded by them all.

For example:
Jae Rae said:
Jae Rae, your user name is, if you were to change the sound of one of the vowels, exactly that of a guy I knew in college. Your avatar looks something like him too. Naturally, it's pure coincidence, is it not? But what does it mean? If I were to use my own reasoning and "follow a pattern" does that mean I should go back and look him up? I wonder.

And there are other things as well. One more example (one of many): A friend that I met on the internet has the same name as a friend of mine just over the Canadian border. Both of their names mean the same thing. My Canadian "neighbor" if you will, has a brother whose name means the same thing as my other friend's middle name. What to make of it? I can't make heads or tail of all this. I really need to talk to someone I think. Maybe I loco!

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks everyone, for replying.

So then, I wonder if coincidence could be looked upon as something that may potentially serve as a guideline. If we choose to follow those patterns in terms of discovering the possibilites that ultimately might be helpful in our lives, perhaps we are using a non-linear (intuitive) method of accessing information. I'll take a look at the book you recommended as I'd like to understand more about it. Coincidences happen constantly in my life to the point where I'm almost going crazy. Well, maybe not crazy, but at least confounded by them all.

For example:

Jae Rae, your user name is, if you were to change the sound of one of the vowels, exactly that of a guy I knew in college. Your avatar looks something like him too. Naturally, it's pure coincidence, is it not? But what does it mean? If I were to use my own reasoning and "follow a pattern" does that mean I should go back and look him up? I wonder.

Well, it could. If it hits you as meaningful, then it IS meaningful.

I'll give you an example. My father died on Jan. 20, one day before he would have turned 77. A few years later I met a man whose birthday was Jan. 20. Coincidence, right? Yet, he was a deeply thoughtful NT who taught me much about life, just as my father did. I observe my friend's birthday and the anniversary of my father's death on the same day, and that fact is quite meaningful to me.

Mole

Permabanned
Kung Fu Panda

Will you please write a little more about this?

Chance can be calculated in a discipline called Statistics.

However human beings are poor at judging chance intuitively.

So to know the chance of something happening, we need to work it out in Statistics.

Statistics have been very successful in creating Quantum Mechanics, our most accurate scientific theory.

And because we are bad at judging chance intuitively, we are very liable to make misjudgements and think things are connected when they are not.

I've just seen a movie called Kung Fu Panda, where the Kung Fu Master keeps saying there are no accidents. But the Kung Fu Master did not know Statistics. For Statistics can tell us accurately when something is an accident and when something is not an accident.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Once a statistician who doubled as a probability theoretician told me he could calculate the odds on anything. So I punched him in the face and yelled, "Didn't count on that, did you, number boy?!"

Mole

Permabanned
"Hancock"

Once a statistician who doubled as a probability theoretician told me he could calculate the odds on anything. So I punched him in the face and said, "Didn't count on that, did you, number boy?"

I've just seen a movie called, "Hancock". Hancock took very direct action, just like Sammy.

And of course nobody likes Statisticians or Probability Theorists, so we would love to see you take one down, Sammy Boy.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've just seen a movie called, "Hancock". Hancock took very direct action, just like Sammy.

And of course nobody likes Statisticians or Probability Theorists, so we would love to see you take one down, Sammy Boy.

I'm just waiting for the right actuary. :peepwall:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
It's just that we notice when things coincide. And we don't notice when things don't coincide. And so we start to see patterns where none exist.

Chance can be understood quite easily in Statistics.

So it is chance that exists rather than coincidence or synchronicity.

Coincidentally, I agree with Victor. The mind remembers the odd occasion when there is coincidence and doesn't remember all the gazillion (a highly technical term) times when there wasn't anything remarkable happening.