• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions about coincidence

Mole

Permabanned
Agreeable

Coincidentally, I agree with Victor. The mind remembers the odd occasion when there is coincidence and doesn't remember all the gazillion (a highly technical term) times when there wasn't anything remarkable happening.

How nice you agree with me Bluebell. How agreeable you are.

Synchronicity is part of the New Age Religion and it flies in the face of everything we know about chance. And we know an awful lot about chance. For instance Quantum Mechanics is based on chance.

How strange we all long for the hidden meanings but how few of us will go and read a book on Statistics.

I suspect the hidden meanings are hidden in ourselves. I think we are capable of hiding part of ourselves from ourselves. But rather than look within, we quite naturally look without and see coincidences everywhere.

The two genders were explained by the Ancient Greeks as one whole person split into two genders, so we are constantly looking for our other half. But it may be that we just see the hidden part of ourselves reflected in the other person.

So it may be, Bluebell, that you are so agreeable because you reflect the hidden part of myself.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suspect the hidden meanings are hidden in ourselves. I think we are capable of hiding part of ourselves from ourselves. But rather than look within, we quite naturally look without and see coincidences everywhere.

The two genders were explained by the Ancient Greeks as one whole person split into two genders, so we are constantly looking for our other half. But it may be that we just see the hidden part of ourselves reflected in the other person.

So it may be, Bluebell, that you are so agreeable because you reflect the hidden part of myself.

That was more or less the point I got out of that synchronicity book I posted above. It's not the coincidences themselves that have any true meaning, it's our interpretation which tells us more about ourselves than about the object of the coincidence.

the.blanket.on.top

Permabanned
[...] how the human race knows many archetypes collected over the years into what he calls the "collective unconscious," and then there's some metaphysical speculation as to the nature of the collective unconscious and so forth.

[...]

Here it is an illustration of the interconnection of human minds, as conceived by Jung.

NUVU8.gif

The conscious minds of individuals seem separated, as islands are separated by the ocean. Below the 'surface' each individual has a personal unconscious mind that is similarly isolated. But at the deepest level each mind merges with the collective unconscious - a shared racial memory that unites individuals as the ocean floor links the world's islands.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here it is an illustration of the interconnection of human minds, as conceived by Jung.

NUVU8.gif

The conscious minds of individuals seem separated, as islands are separated by the ocean. Below the 'surface' each individual has a personal unconscious mind that is similarly isolated. But at the deepest level each mind merges with the collective unconscious - a shared racial memory that unites individuals as the ocean floor links the world's islands.

ok... not to attack you...you might or might not even belief this, (you could just be presenting a cool idea...which is great!) but with what mechanism did Jung propose this all work? Like, how exactly does this collective unconscious communicate? Are there Conscioutrons running from brain to brain?