• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Everyone Has A Price"?

Mole

Permabanned
Kant was a believer.

Anyway, the ways in which I've seen the so called enlightenment used and abused the whole thing is something which alienates me now. Whatever good the ideas which were trending then they did not fufil any hopes, dreams and promises.

Well, the Enlightenment gave us the values of freedom and equality, and bore fruit with the abolition of slavery, the emancipation of women, and as you read, legal protection of children from child abuse.

And the Enlightenment gave us the method of evidence and reason, bearing fruit in evidence based medicine, science and technology.

But most interestingly the Enlightenment gave us a new way of thinking, called counter-intuitive, bearing fruit in liberal democracy, modern economics, exploration, and modern art.

But even more interesting is that the Enlightenment was based on print, but today the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries is being subsumed into the electric global village.

So the Enlightenment gave us the literate individual, while electronics gives us the electric tribe in the global village.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Well, the Enlightenment gave us the values of freedom and equality, and bore fruit with the abolition of slavery, the emancipation of women, and as you read, legal protection of children from child abuse.

And the Enlightenment gave us the method of evidence and reason, bearing fruit in evidence based medicine, science and technology.

But most interestingly the Enlightenment gave us a new way of thinking, called counter-intuitive, bearing fruit in liberal democracy, modern economics, exploration, and modern art.

But even more interesting is that the Enlightenment was based on print, but today the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries is being subsumed into the electric global village.

So the Enlightenment gave us the literate individual, while electronics gives us the electric tribe in the global village.

Welcome back Mole.

Lark

you'd been missing there for a while Victor Mole, good to see you're still with us, I didnt read you post. :)

Mole

Permabanned
you'd been missing there for a while Victor Mole, good to see you're still with us, I didnt read you post. :)

There's no need to read my posts, Irish Lark, they are quite happy to slip into the darkness, and there is no need, absolutely no need, to fear the dark.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm inclined to agree.

I think everyone has their limits--where money alone will NOT be able to buy something from someone. I think it's almost unusual to have absolutely no value or thing you clutch onto where money cannot touch that realm. For some it is their morals, for some it's their family, etc. etc. But, for the most part, money speaks volumes. I'd do a lot of crazy things for money--not because I value it--but because I value what I can accomplish with it. If that amount outweighs my current prerogatives, then yeah, I can absolutely be bought. Those hypothetical "Would you go gay for x dollars" or "would you do x job for x money" and all that.

Outside of money? Everyone, absolutely everyone, has a breaking point. A point where their mortality, personality, and condition can only carry them so far. And thus, I believe, everyone has a price.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
First of all, the OP is not directly about torture. It doesn't even imply it. Of course, people will do and say things in that state that they they would not otherwise. But lets put that aside and answer the question as asked.
I for one, find many things in the world to be without direct monetary value for me, things like art, music, poetry, literature. If human kind had not these things, we would be no different than alligators or other instinct-bound creatures in our appetitive drive for satiety, which for humans might mean having a BMW and a Rolex, etc.
But we are meaning makers. We don't just exist to acquire more stuff. The exemplars among us a driven by other forces, and this is laudable and worthy of admiration. This drive to turn us all into Machiavellian, bottom line thinkers is anathema to my beliefs.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my answer to this has always been bs!! but i just said maybe to the 1yr in prison for 5 mil. so i'm full of shit i suppose. :/