• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calling all Muslims: I am considering becoming Muslim

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I found an Islam forum though and I have found the answers to be much more related to topic and helpful, so I am taking their guidance on where to start with the Curan. The first part I want to read is the part about Jesus and compare it to the Bible's teachings of Jesus. This is going to take a while to pick a part and the more I read online at least, the more lost I get on what I believe. I am afraid that I wont strongly believe Islam's teachings of Jesus and in the process I'll wind up believing less in the Bible. Then where will I be...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then where will I be...
You will be left to look inward, to listen to your own heart and spirit, what the Christians sometimes call the "still, small voice". Muslims probably have a name for it, too.

Standuble

There are things just as off-putting in the Bible. The difference is that most Christians have learned not to interpret it all so literally.

There are many Christian fundies but they have a choice of what to follow e.g. One has the choice whether to follow Paul's teachings etc. however the Quran lacks context, time and place. I only managed to get through half of it but it's a lot of Muhammad speaking and Allah speaking. It's a long book of rules, regulations and explanations that non-Muslims are too stupid to understand and more notably would try and prevent Muslims from following it. There is no inherent sense of chronology or causality (like a book of short stories) and the anti non-Muslim rhetoric are all things you would see in real life and it begins on practically the first page. Let's just say it is an ideal engine to fuel bigotry, distrust and a sense of injustice. Due to the aforementioned issues everything needs to be followed or else one would become less of a believer and thus (as the Quran likes to explain) leads to Hell.

Otherwise the book is confused, poorly written (sort of crap I would write) and riddled with contradictions. It became clear to me that students are forced to listen to and consult Imams who perhaps are the only ones who can untangle the massive web it creates.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
especially from someone who pretends to be a lutheran from deep Missouri.

For any interested parties:

The Missouri Synod is in ALL 50 STATES OF THE U.S.

It is just a more traditional and conservative Lutheran church (especially compared to the Evangelical Lutherans, who seem to resemble the Unitarian church more than Catholics), actually founded in Chicago by Lutheran German immigrants in the 19th century, but now headquartered in Missouri.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fot what it's worth, I assumed the OP was a woman even before she stated it (just going by her writing style) and also belief that she is an American.

I'd agree that there is a large varierty within Islam and that any religion contains both beauty and dangers depending on how you live it.

However, what struck me the most and what has been touched upon very little in this thread is something completely different. The OP's urgent and intense need for external rules, guidance, discipline, etc. does not seem healthy to me. While I am an atheist myself I do understand the value of religion, I really do. But I think that the OP's reasons for considering a change of religion are not very well thought out. They seem to have an emotional/psychological rather than a theological basis.

Wouldn't it be dishonest towards your fellow muslims to join them merely because you like the idea of covering your head?! Because you like to feel modest and maybe feel awkward about your body (speculating here)? Simply because you want some external force to give you a framework to live in? That sounds like a bad reason to join any religion.

There are good reasons to become a muslim or join any religion. But like others have said, those are theological reasons. If you feel that the Quran really speaks to you and you truely believe that Jesus was not the son of god and that Mohamed was the last of the prophets, then you might be ready, not before that.

Pleaes don't get this the wrong way, but you seem to know very little about Islam (you haven't even read the Quran!!! oh, and you'd have to learn Arabic too because most consider that only the Arabic original of the book is the true word of god and that translations are just crutches), not really have researched other communities within your current religion and base this whole thing on your emotional frustration with specific your current community and your emotional vulnerabilty rather than on calm thinking.

You even stated that you'd die if you don't join a disciplined strict community to give you something to hold on to. That sounds like you might be highly unstable emotionally. That is what has me worried.

I'm sure becoming a muslim might be a great choice for some people in some situations, but you do not sound like that is what you truely need right now. Get your personal stuff sorted out first (maybe with the help of a professional) and only when you feel like a strong, healthy, confident woman again and after fully informing yourself about all your options and being ready to make an informed decision THEN can you truely become a good muslim and live that faith - not out of fear of the world or yourself or in orderto escape your issues but because you truely believe in the pillars of that religion and want to follow it with all your heart.

Anything else would just be dishonest towards yourself and others.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no rule within Islam too, unless you're a staunch wahhabite.

The Imam you quoted is just an ignorant, bigoted, xenophobic fool.

I've seen muslim friends attend the same funerals where I was. They even attended the funeral of very well known atheists.

Wherever you have bigoted fanaticism, the phenomena you denounce can happen.
Wherever you have common sense and reason, it cannot.

So Muslims don't obey their own rules. Who can obey so many rules?

http://en.alukah.net/Shariah/0/1751/
"Ibn Bataal says that visiting the sick should be in order to encourage them to enter Islam, if this is not the reason for visiting them, then it is not allowed. Ibn Hajar remarks that whether or not visiting them is allowed depends on the intentions for going, since there may well be other hidden benefits from visiting the sick.

As for wishing them well, on their holidays and festivals of distorted belief, everyone agrees that this is not allowed. This includes telling them `Merry Christmas,' or `Happy Easter,' or `Happy Hanukkah,' and so forth, since this is really congratulating them in their states of disbelief, which is forbidden. It is like wishing them well for the worship of Christ, indeed, it is worse than this before Allah, and more loathsome than wishing them good health as they drink alcoholic drinks; worse than killing someone unjustly or engaging in illicit sex."

Wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is worse than murder.

And all sins AREN'T equal in Islam.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pleaes don't get this the wrong way, but you seem to know very little about Islam

Maybe, but notice how s/he has been defending it.

I am not pushing my religion on you, so don't push your atheism and insults on to me. And clearly by your statement on Jihad, you don't know enough about Islam to comment.
(My religion?)

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fot what it's worth, I assumed the OP was a woman even before she stated it (just going by her writing style) and also belief that she is an American.
What do you consider to be a "female writing style"?

However, what struck me the most and what has been touched upon very little in this thread is something completely different. The OP's urgent and intense need for external rules, guidance, discipline, etc. does not seem healthy to me. While I am an atheist myself I do understand the value of religion, I really do. But I think that the OP's reasons for considering a change of religion are not very well thought out. They seem to have an emotional/psychological rather than a theological basis.
I have pointed this out a couple times already, but so far, no response from the OP.

R

Riva

Fot what it's worth, I assumed the OP was a woman even before she stated it (just going by her writing style) and also belief that she is an American.I'd agree that there is a large varierty within Islam and that any religion contains both beauty and dangers depending on how you live it.However, what struck me the most and what has been touched upon very little in this thread is something completely different. The OP's urgent and intense need for external rules, guidance, discipline, etc. does not seem healthy to me. While I am an atheist myself I do understand the value of religion, I really do. But I think that the OP's reasons for considering a change of religion are not very well thought out. They seem to have an emotional/psychological rather than a theological basis.Wouldn't it be dishonest towards your fellow muslims to join them merely because you like the idea of covering your head?! Because you like to feel modest and maybe feel awkward about your body (speculating here)? Simply because you want some external force to give you a framework to live in? That sounds like a bad reason to join any religion.There are good reasons to become a muslim or join any religion. But like others have said, those are theological reasons. If you feel that the Quran really speaks to you and you truely believe that Jesus was not the son of god and that Mohamed was the last of the prophets, then you might be ready, not before that.Pleaes don't get this the wrong way, but you seem to know very little about Islam (you haven't even read the Quran!!! oh, and you'd have to learn Arabic too because most consider that only the Arabic original of the book is the true word of god and that translations are just crutches), not really have researched other communities within your current religion and base this whole thing on your emotional frustration with specific your current community and your emotional vulnerabilty rather than on calm thinking.You even stated that you'd die if you don't join a disciplined strict community to give you something to hold on to. That sounds like you might be highly unstable emotionally. That is what has me worried.I'm sure becoming a muslim might be a great choice for some people in some situations, but you do not sound like that is what you truely need right now. Get your personal stuff sorted out first (maybe with the help of a professional) and only when you feel like a strong, healthy, confident woman again and after fully informing yourself about all your options and being ready to make an informed decision THEN can you truely become a good muslim and live that faith - not out of fear of the world or yourself or in orderto escape your issues but because you truely believe in the pillars of that religion and want to follow it with all your heart.
I agree with the last two paras. I myself have never cosulted a consultant/therapist so can't really recommend on my personal experience but going by what others who have experience have to say, I say it's worth a try. Also something you should know about islam is it says never to preach to a drowning man. If you expand on the metaphor - which i'm certain you can do without my help - it not only implies that 'drowning men' will hold onto whatever rubbish which is thrown at them due to sheer desperation, it also indicates that if you do convert to islam (or you make another convert) you should do so only after learning, accepting and valuing it.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People who fit that profile usually lack self awareness to acknowledge their condition. When one values faith too much, questioning abilities get compromised.

Nice try, anyways.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

I'd agree that there is a large varierty within Islam and that any religion contains both beauty and dangers depending on how you live it.

Wouldn't it be dishonest towards your fellow muslims to join them merely because you like the idea of covering your head?! Because you like to feel modest and maybe feel awkward about your body (speculating here)? Simply because you want some external force to give you a framework to live in? That sounds like a bad reason to join any religion.

There are good reasons to become a muslim or join any religion. But like others have said, those are theological reasons. If you feel that the Quran really speaks to you and you truely believe that Jesus was not the son of god and that Mohamed was the last of the prophets, then you might be ready, not before that.

Pleaes don't get this the wrong way, but you seem to know very little about Islam (you haven't even read the Quran!!! oh, and you'd have to learn Arabic too because most consider that only the Arabic original of the book is the true word of god and that translations are just crutches), not really have researched other communities within your current religion and base this whole thing on your emotional frustration with specific your current community and your emotional vulnerabilty rather than on calm thinking.

You even stated that you'd die if you don't join a disciplined strict community to give you something to hold on to. That sounds like you might be highly unstable emotionally. That is what has me worried.

I'm sure becoming a muslim might be a great choice for some people in some situations, but you do not sound like that is what you truely need right now. Get your personal stuff sorted out first (maybe with the help of a professional) and only when you feel like a strong, healthy, confident woman again and after fully informing yourself about all your options and being ready to make an informed decision THEN can you truely become a good muslim and live that faith - not out of fear of the world or yourself or in orderto escape your issues but because you truely believe in the pillars of that religion and want to follow it with all your heart.

Anything else would just be dishonest towards yourself and others.
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]

Yes, I definitely wouldn't become Muslim without believing the teachings. I know that. I have respected the religion and have been interested in it for about eight years now. I hit a hard spot a few years ago and now I becoming stronger. It's only lately that I have started to make a real effort to find out more. In the beginning levels of strength that I am building back in myself, I have a bit of a vision that Islam could be good for me.

But I may be open to not believing word for word everything in the Curan, if I can do that.

I have been thinking it would be appropriate to learn Arabic. I've noticed most Muslims speak some Arabic.

What we are talking about on here, is just me getting started. I want to explore these changes I want to make and find out where I need to be. I am not on a set path to become Muslim.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you consider to be a "female writing style"?

Well, I was mostly referring to her vibe. But if you are implying doubt over whether gender has an influence on language, I can only tell you that I was taught so in my socioliguinstics class (and also observed this myself many times) and refer you to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_and_gender.

What most people would call a "female/male vibe" is basically the subsconcious summary of those traits.

I have pointed this out a couple times already, but so far, no response from the OP.

Yes, that's why I said "very little" and not "not at all". I guess it's up to her to take our suggestions to heart or leave it. *sigh*

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about becoming a Hasidic Jew?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I was mostly referring to her vibe. But if you are implying doubt over whether gender has an influence on language, I can only tell you that I was taught so in my socioliguinstics class (and also observed this myself many times) and refer you to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_and_gender.

What most people would call a "female/male vibe" is basically the subsconcious summary of those traits.
My question was exactly that - a question, and not a conclusion. I have long observed differences in the topics men and women often choose to discuss, but differences in the language itself, say when used to address the same topic, is far less obvious. I was interested in your observations. A quick look at the reference you linked suggests these differences may be more closely tied to T/F, like other differences often attributed to gender (see example below).

Tannen compares gender differences in language to cultural differences. Comparing conversational goals, she argues that men tend to use a "report style," aiming to communicate factual information, whereas women more often use a "rapport style," which is more concerned with building and maintaining relationships

I don't want to derail the thread further, but this is of interest so I will probably start a thread for it soon.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just Googled "calling all Muslims" to see if this is a common phrase. like someone on here said as part of accusing me of being Muslim. The only thing that came up in the search results was one Facebook page and this thread.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just Googled "calling all Muslims" to see if this is a common phrase. like someone on here said as part of accusing me of being Muslim. The only thing that came up in the search results was one Facebook page and this thread.

I got 302,000 results for "calling all Muslims" (including the quotes).

S

Society

Is my reasoning for considering becoming Muslim not good?

isn't that a tad problematic? if you are joining due to the desired lifestyle rather than genuinely believing in the muslim tenants, then technically speaking, YOU will not be practicing what you genuinely believe in... at which point you will be creating the very same problem you seem to have with your christian community, a.k.a. this:
push come to shove, people don't practice what they say they believe in.

it's like you are moving out of a neighborhood to escape it's drug problem and packing the meth lab in your suitcase.