• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Darkest before the dawn

hiddengem

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Is it easier to be depressed at night? Is it harder to be optimistic when surrounded by darkness? Or is it because all the distractions of the day can no longer be used as a buffer?

keanne32

MBTI Type
INTP
For me, it's basically all of the above. I find it easier to sift through my emotions when alone and when it's dark because there are no distractions to hinder whatever mood it is that I'm in. More often than not, I get into these self-pity moods which is identifiable with depression, and I find that it is most pronounced at night. I think it pretty much has to do with the solitude that allows for more inwardly-directed thoughts to be made less ambiguous and therefore easier to take into account.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Is it easier to be depressed at night? Is it harder to be optimistic when surrounded by darkness? Or is it because all the distractions of the day can no longer be used as a buffer?

No, I find it easier to be myself in the darkness, precisely because all the distractions of the day are no longer a buffer to the inner me. Fortunately I'm an optimistic soul?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The night.. for some.. is the only time when their mind can rest, and their thoughts can creep in.

If you are going through a hard time, or if you are prone to depression, then these thoughts may drag you down.

But if you have an inner peace, then the night is most pleasant.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP

Have you heard of the "winter blues"? Studies have found that sunlight is a huge determinent of mood, so there is all possibilty that nighttime could be more likely to promote depression. I'd say it has more to do with our reaction to light than anything else.

Personally, winter does seem to have a bit of an affect upon me because the nights are so long and dark. I wouldn't classify it as depressed though, it's more along the lines of morose. Summer is by far my favourite season of the year, there is definitely something comforting in looking up to a clear blue sky.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get more depressed during the winter, but this doesn't apply to nighttime. Nighttime is calm... expansive. The air seems clearer and I feel less alone and oppressed by noise and light.

MBTI Type
INTJ
For me, it's basically all of the above. I find it easier to sift through my emotions when alone and when it's dark because there are no distractions to hinder whatever mood it is that I'm in. More often than not, I get into these self-pity moods which is identifiable with depression, and I find that it is most pronounced at night. I think it pretty much has to do with the solitude that allows for more inwardly-directed thoughts to be made less ambiguous and therefore easier to take into account.

Exactly. I'm more prone to depression at night because my mind is left alone to ponder my troubles.

Mole

Permabanned
Suspicion

On waking I start my day with negative thoughts, often about people.

But then I have coffee and read the newspaper at the Bakery, and I start to think how beautiful the trees look in the sunshine.

And I go for a walk, always of course wearing a hat. And I am likely to meet someone and share a joke and I start to think how good-humoured people are.

And my mood keeps rising all during the day, meal after meal, good humoured exchange after good humoured exchanged until I reach a moment of euphoria at about five in the afternoon, when the whole world seems as warm as the people.

And then I float in my five o'clock euphoria until about eleven and sleep.

Until I wake next morning and look around me with suspicion.

sych0

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's not day/night for me so much as it is sunny/grey. Gloomy days are the absolute worst, and new england is notorious for crappy days. I gotta move to california one day to revel in the sun

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I love night! It's my favourite time of day, I think its the best for everything. I also love winter. And I never feel depressed in the winter or at night. I've heard about the correlation between sunlight intensity and mood, but to my knowledge that only occurs in some people, and I'm clearly not one of them. Our winters here are very sunny during the day though, for what it's worth. I still like somewhat cloudy days most of all anyway, no matter what season.

At night my thoughts open up a lot more, I feel more free to explore ideas and everything. It's just more loose and free, and I love that. I also love going outside at night when there is no one around, no cars or anything. It's like a surrealistic look at the daytime world. I also love winter for this reason; when the ground gets covered in deep snow, or when a blizzard is raging, the world becomes a different place. It's very thought provoking. I feel alive!

I've never understood the association people have with darkness and sadness and whatnot, they seem unrelated to me and always have.

sych0

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've never understood the association people have with darkness and sadness and whatnot, they seem unrelated to me and always have.

Well, there is actually a disorder relating the two. Seasonal Affective Disorder.... or..........SAD. :rolli:

It doesn't mention it in the wiki, but I'd always heard its caused by lack of vitamin D which you get naturally from sunlight

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you heard of the "winter blues"? Studies have found that sunlight is a huge determinent of mood, so there is all possibilty that nighttime could be more likely to promote depression. I'd say it has more to do with our reaction to light than anything else.

Personally, winter does seem to have a bit of an affect upon me because the nights are so long and dark. I wouldn't classify it as depressed though, it's more along the lines of morose. Summer is by far my favourite season of the year, there is definitely something comforting in looking up to a clear blue sky.

Good point. I agree.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Very much agree. Same with the rain and overcast weather.

I love all of that stuff, that some people consider gloomy.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
I had some friends from Poland who had a folk-saying, "Never act on what you think in the night." There is something to that I think...if only to reconsider in the light of day what one's mind constructs in a semi-awake state.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have the same thing to with cloudy days. It is related to SAD. I think in winter it is not so much having less daylight as it is days when you don't experience any natural sunlight. It is dark when you commute to work, dark when you commute home and too cold to walk outside during lunch time.

I do light therapy at home in the winter and when we have several cloudy days in a row. It makes a big difference.

Ilah

It's not day/night for me so much as it is sunny/grey. Gloomy days are the absolute worst, and new england is notorious for crappy days. I gotta move to california one day to revel in the sun

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
I do light therapy at home in the winter
In winter I alter my work schedule so that, when leaving the office for the day, so I can get home (or to my evening activities) while the sun is still shining. Does wonders for me. The leave-in-the-dark, get-home-in-the-dark stuff just ain't right!!!

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always feel better at night, always have.

I love the evening, but I always been a night owl. However, right before bed, everything that could possibly be bothering me comes racing up to the surface, and I am prone to ruminating. I had to retrain my thoughts, to set aside a time during the day to pour over my issues, otherwise I would be up all night wracking my brain for an answer and then I'm even less able to tackle the situation because I'm also exhausted. :p

MBTI Type
INxJ
Very much agree. Same with the rain and overcast weather.

I love all of that stuff, that some people consider gloomy.

Me too. It's just much easier to think at night or early morning. I always rise before the sun is up. It's very quiet. People are usually in bed asleep. There aren't many cars out or activity in general. It's so... peaceful.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't noticed gratter depression in the dark, most of the time. The effect of winter does seem to imply that darkness is a little bit more depressing for me. I really love walking around at night though, or I did when I lived in a small town anyway.

Around here, people get shot at night, so no more walking for me. :(