• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is this offensive?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
A crazy guy on a street corner screaming "praise the lord" junk, if so how?

my room mate came home pissed off because nut job was saying that, and basically shouting and bitching about it. I mean the guy on the corner is probably insane. maybe I'm so use to it and know that I don't have to believe what he's saying.

Someone please help me figure out what's so offensive, I mean too the point that one is practically throwing a tantrum.

I mean as long as don't try form an exorcist or dunk me in a vat of holy water, crazy fanactics don't really bother me.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Your room mate could have felt that his or her autonomy, space, or even safety was threatened by his screaming of impassioned orders.

I sure would have.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think she was probably offended by his methods, not his message. If some guy is screaming and ranting incoherently on the street, I'd probaby get annoyed even if he was screaming about how awesome I am.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
your room mate needs to experience a few real problems, so he'll learn the difference and be happier in the future.

if you're a true friend, you'll rob him blind when he falls asleep.

sleep

MBTI Type
INFP
That seems more annoying than offensive. I personally would have gotten away from the man as quickly as possible. People shouting at me about Christianity are really discombobulating to me, so I generally nod uncomfortably and leave. I think that your roommate was just a bit shaken. Nothing big.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can understand the feeling of being threatened by in-your-face religious zealotry in public places. Most of the time they are just dull/annoying (especially the ones that talk about going to hell or praying for God to save us heathens).

heart

heart on fire
People shouting at me about Christianity are really discombobulating to me, so I generally nod uncomfortably and leave.

I would be just as discombobulated by someone shouting and ranting about Atheism as I would Christianity...even someone shouting about the Tao of Pooh!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I can understand the feeling of being threatened by in-your-face religious zealotry in public places. Most of the time they are just dull/annoying (especially the ones that talk about going to hell or praying for God to save us heathens).
I can too but I'd also shrug it off pretty fast, yes I've had experiences.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
I personally do not find it offensive, but I would find it scary.

I guess it is subjective to the person though. If your roommate is firmly against those belief's, it can be taken as offensive having to be subjected to hearing them screamed by a lunatic when your roommate may not have been able to get away.

I mean, when I'm waiting to get on a plane -- I don't want to hear about Christianity, I'd be pissed (even if it is a crazy person) if someone was standing there in the terminal reading passages or screaming 'Jesus is Lord' and I couldn't just simply walk away since I was waiting to get on the plane.

sleep

MBTI Type
INFP
I would be just as discombobulated by someone shouting and ranting about Atheism as I would Christianity...even someone shouting about the Tao of Pooh!

Well yeah, but you don't see throngs of folks screaming their heads off about Sikhism. No one likes their ears violated by other peoples thoughts.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
heart said:

To be fair, I have never heard such a public atheist rant. (Possibly because I live in the suburbs.)

I think it also depends on my current mental state how well I shake it off/ how seriously I take it. The time I let it most unnerve me was one instance in which I had had a really long cloudy grey day and was waiting out in the drizzle for the bus because I just wanted to get home. This man pulled up to the large throng of students waiting for the bus on his bike, and proceeded to get on a soapbox (a metal mesh one) and passionately declare about my salvation and to accept the spirit of God into my heart. If I hadn't been in a fairly familiar environment with fairly familiar people I'm not sure I'd have taken it very well.

heart

heart on fire
To be fair, I have never heard such a public atheist rant. (Possibly because I live in the suburbs.).

I am just saying that to me, it would be the behavior and not the content that would be cause for concern.

I have seen very pushy aggression from certain atheists and it makes me decide that if the two sides ever break out in open conflict, I am heading for the hills!