• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

yin and yang and psychology

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
so, i have been wondering what correlation yin and yang has to psychology, and if ive understood correct, then as yin is feminity, then its naturally feeler functions, and yang thinking functions.

But ive speculated that its also directly connected to my theory that so sp, sx so and sp sx are the "evil" or selfish instincts, thus yin is the darkness so it makes sense these instincts are in the dark while ive classified the rest three to be selfless instincts, so naturally yang.

So i think yin and yang is chinese philosophical way to understand psychology.

What do you think?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yin is not evil and selfish and Yang is not good and sefless. Furthermore, the notion of black and white being analogs to evil and good was not present in East Asian religion and philosophy as it was in the west. Altogether a concept of good vs evil would be antithetical to Taoism.

Yang's association with passion and Yin's function as its counterpart also poses some problems for the F and T association.

You are probably exaggerating the relationship between the F/T dichotomy and the sexes, though it is correct that Yin is feminine and Yang is masculine (although you may not want to assume that means the same things as it does in 21st century USA).

I find you notions about the selfishness of the instincts also quite dubious, and I think you misunderstand what Social means if you presume it correlates with pro-social, altruistic behavior.

W

WALMART

I believe you are off on the wrong foot regarding the yin and yang.

Also - welcome back, Vilku!

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yin is not evil and selfish and Yang is not good and sefless. Furthermore, the notion of black and white being analogs to evil and good was not present in East Asian religion and philosophy as it was in the west. Altogether a concept of good vs evil would be antithetical to Taoism.

You are probably exaggerating the relationship between the F/T dichotomy and the sexes, though it is correct that Yin is feminine and Yang is masculine (although you may not want to assume that means the same things as it does in 21st century USA).

I find you notions about the selfishness of the instincts also quite dubious, and I think you misunderstand what Social means if you presume it correlates with pro-social, altruistic behavior.

my theory on instinct division is based on the synergetic and insynergetic flow direction thing, nothing to do with individual instincts.

"Yang's association with passion and Yin's function as its counterpart also poses some problems for the F and T association."

hm, BUT, in that case, that supports my idea as sx so being yang instinct, along with so sx and sx sp and the rest three are yin instincts, OR sx so, so sp and sp sx as the yang and rest yin.. I dont know which is right but i think it must be something like this. So yeah, f\t resemble the masculinity feminity split but that isnt what yin yang is indeed about.

I believe you are off on the wrong foot regarding the yin and yang.

Also - welcome back, Vilku!

aww, thanks! =3

yeah.. Im quite confused by yin and yang, perhaps it has nothing to do with psychology and its just all about accepting the darkness AND goodness withink you, cause too much selfishness is just plain AWFUL and too much selflessness results into what ive been through, meaning you forget your self, and become a wreck, thus the stereotypical nine who goes along others never having his own will.. =S

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my theory on instinct division is based on the synergetic and insynergetic flow direction thing, nothing to do with individual instincts.

"Yang's association with passion and Yin's function as its counterpart also poses some problems for the F and T association."

hm, BUT, in that case, that supports my idea as sx so being yang instinct, along with so sx and sx sp and the rest three are yin instincts, OR sx so, so sp and sp sx as the yang and rest yin.. I dont know which is right but i think it must be something like this. So yeah, f\t resemble the masculinity feminity split but that isnt what yin yang is indeed about.

aww, thanks! =3

yeah.. Im quite confused by yin and yang, perhaps it has nothing to do with psychology and its just all about accepting the darkness AND goodness withink you, cause too much selfishness is just plain AWFUL and too much selflessness results into what ive been through, meaning you forget your self, and become a wreck, thus the stereotypical nine who goes along others never having his own will.. =S

Yang is the Vibration and Yin is the Receptive element ...If you think of things in these terms, there's really no need for gender and light and dark and good and bad to be described.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yang is the Vibration and Yin is the Receptive element ...If you think of things in these terms, there's really no need for gender and light and dark and good and bad to be described.

ive been thinking about it again, so my theory is that yin is inwardness, looking inside yourself, while yang outwardness. And thus yang is like positivity, and inevitably yin is pain, darkness, cause thats what is inside. Do you think ive got it right?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ive been thinking about it again, so my theory is that yin is inwardness, looking inside yourself, while yang outwardness. And thus yang is like positivity, and inevitably yin is pain, darkness, cause thats what is inside. Do you think ive got it right?

“Tao engenders One;
One engenders Two;
Two engenders Three;
Three engenders all things.
All things carry the yin (femininity)
while embrace the yang (masculinity).
Neutralising energy brings them into harmony.”

"Yin and yang are two sides of dualism. It is the tail and the head of a coin. The tail is yin, then the head is yang. They exist alongside one another. The head cannot exist without the tail, and the tail cannot exist without the head.

Everything in this world is a dualism. In it, you can always find yin and yang.

The earth we live on is yin, and the sun that brings us warmth is yang. A woman is yin, and a man is yang. Sadness is yin, while joyfulness is yang. "

In a sense yes, I think you've got it. I don't know if I would go to the extent of "pain or darkness", but it makes sense. I think of it in terms of an outlet (receptive) and to plug something in is action

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
whole jungian psychology is based on the idea of opposites