• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If magic made a come back

Nicodemus

Right. That's why your point doesn't make any sense in terms of the theme of this thread.
Right as well. You know, I so seldom read or write posts here that, when I do, I do it just anywhere, as if I owned the place and could pile up my thoughts wherever it pleased me.

Its special at least in that it can be used over people who have no knowledge of how it works.
By whom? Somebody who knows how it works, mayhaps?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By whom? Somebody who knows how it works, mayhaps?

Right. For example a man knowing the moments of a woman's monthly menstrual cycle would help in love magic, even if all that consists of is making a move at the right moment. Its not so much that this isnt known, but its payed little attention to.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That movie Troll was a good illustration of this phenomenon, the magical suddenly making a come back, scary and sinister but not too far removed from the classical myths of old. The sequels are travesties which should never have been made.

The sequel is one of the best accidental comedies ever made. Seriously, they wrote a movie about Goblins, and just slapped the Troll 2 label on it to get name recognition. There are no trolls in Troll 2.

The first one has Elaine from Seinfeld as a wood nymph, and a really cool mushroom creature puppet in its favor.

Bringing things back to the main point, I like the way GOT handles magic. It also seems like there's usually a price, and there's often something sinister about it. Bran's storyline is rather fascinating, and I really want to see how that ends up.

If magic made a comeback, it would undermine the existing order and power structure, just as it appears poised to do in George R.R Martin's universe. If humans could create creatures of fire, would we need tanks? I don't think magic would create a more ideal world, it would just change the tools people use.

Lark

The sequel is one of the best accidental comedies ever made. Seriously, they wrote a movie about Goblins, and just slapped the Troll 2 label on it to get name recognition. There are no trolls in Troll 2.

The first one has Elaine from Seinfeld as a wood nymph, and a really cool mushroom creature puppet in its favor.

Bringing things back to the main point, I like the way GOT handles magic. It also seems like there's usually a price, and there's often something sinister about it. Bran's storyline is rather fascinating, and I really want to see how that ends up.

If magic made a comeback, it would undermine the existing order and power structure, just as it appears poised to do in George R.R Martin's universe. If humans could create creatures of fire, would we need tanks? I don't think magic would create a more ideal world, it would just change the tools people use.

Well things like dragons made castles obsolete, they discussed the lords of the greatest castle cooking on the inside when there was a dragon attack I think, although I'm sort of thinking that magic will be opposed to the dragons in the final battle and the white walkers posed against them all.

Could you actually sit through Troll 2, I watched as much of it as I could but I never finished it and was just disgusted because I liked the original so much.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well things like dragons made castles obsolete, they discussed the lords of the greatest castle cooking on the inside when there was a dragon attack I think, although I'm sort of thinking that magic will be opposed to the dragons in the final battle and the white walkers posed against them all.

Yes, and here's a fun fact that I don't think they ever mentioned in the show. The ruler of that castle was an ironman, from the same culture as Theon Greyjoy.

The early Targaryen kings definitely changed the rules. They wouldn't have been able to unify Westeros without dragons, and once they lost them, they had a harder time of it.

Could you actually sit through Troll 2, I watched as much of it as I could but I never finished it and was just disgusted because I liked the original so much.

Yes. It actually works very well if you view it as a comedy. The director was an Italian gentleman who barely spoke English, filming in the middle of Mormon country. In a way, it's a miracle that the movie even ended up being finished.

Lark

Yes, and here's a fun fact that I don't think they ever mentioned in the show. The ruler of that castle was an ironman, from the same culture as Theon Greyjoy.

The early Targaryen kings definitely changed the rules. They wouldn't have been able to unify Westeros without dragons, and once they lost them, they had a harder time of it.

Yes. It actually works very well if you view it as a comedy. The director was an Italian gentleman who barely spoke English, filming in the middle of Mormon country. In a way, it's a miracle that the movie even ended up being finished.

I dont know, I've a lot of time for comedic horror and Troll 2 just didnt work for me, it was all sorts of extremes but consistently extremely crap in its production values.

I would agree with you about the GOT plot and potential next development you mention in the spoiler hidden bit, I think that the earlier episodes dealing with the superiority in weapons based upon Iron and Armour was excellent but that in turn gives way to the power of stone keeps which in turn give way to weapons systems like the naplam and dragons or magic.

The thing about the conflict between the forces you mention is that I think the outcome would be dictated by the dedication of the troops and I reckon, given their record, that the dedication of one factions support is pretty questionable to say the least compared with the others which is nye on fanatical, although they have reasons for alliance also on the grounds that they'd all oppose the witch's God so I dont know.