• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Satisfaction in relative terms

Lark

what do you understand by the saying better to be aristotle disatisfied than a fat pig satisfied?

does it simply mean that satisfaction is relative or that there is an obvious hierarchy in satisfaction?

Lark

Some people are snobs?

Could be one possible way of reading it sure.

Is there a hierarchy between simple pleasures and others? Are any better than others purely by virtue of what they are?

Is it better to be well fed and ignorant or hungry and wise?

Just the kinds of things I muse about :p

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Is there a hierarchy between simple pleasures and others? Are any better than others purely by virtue of what they are?

I kinda love this question. Im going to use ur litaral example. Depends on what the person's wise about. For example, if the wise person is a monk but hungry...he's set. end of hunger...He knows a lot of it's mental and he is willing to also sacrifice to get whatever little he can and be grateful for it. (being grateful = satisfaction) lol. Otherwise I think both extremes are too sheltered. But I'm thinking in the terms of status/how much money they have. Fed and ignorant - leads me thinking a poor person. And hungry and wise i'm thinking a rich person.

I am often dissatisfied by my relatives.;)

lol ur funny :p

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

It's very subjective and classism is often a factor, one way or another. Almost everybody knows something worth learning, even if they don't have a lot of formal education and plenty of wise people have gaping holes in their knowledge.

If your wisdom can't keep your belly filled, all other things being equal, you might need to expand your knowledge base a bit. That could fall under being so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good.

But I've gone hungry and didn't like it much, so I'm probably biased.

Mole

Permabanned
The Buddhists tell us that dissatisfaction is a condition of life. And most of us find that even when we are satisfied, we are not completely satisfied. We are satisfied 50% or 75% or, if we are lucky, 90%.

However I have found I am 100% satisfied when I write a poem.

W

WALMART

Aristotle valued knowledge, the pursuit (presuming you aren't Aperture) is expansive, kind of like planting a tree. Truly getting something for nothing, should the concept exist in nature.

A pig consumes. A lot. A lot of physical stuff.

I believe it is implying there is a hierarchy of satisfaction.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
With robot on this one.

There is a hierarchy of satisfaction. But even that is relative. The point is trying to say that even if you did not become completely satisfied in a journey for something bigger and not immediately in your grasp, that you would still be more satisfied than if you stayed in a comfortable little spot and continued as a 'pig' would, consuming and disposing without conscious effort.

But what it really is trying to point out is that one must determine what is truly satisfying to themselves vs what they are told to think and do.

Nicodemus

The saying is less about satisfaction than about a presumed hierarchy of beings:

Man (intelligence) > animal (instinct).

roman67

In simple ways satisfaction comes when you achieve more than previous achievement. So it is a hierarchy chain.