• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who believes in Angels?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I cannot criticise your beliefs on ethical standards, but I CAN on the grounds that they are plain stupid. Reason exists. Your complete lack of any argument to defend your position other than "Ooooo look, isn't murder just soo BAD!" is laughable. Murder is neither bad nor good, conceptually. Whether it's logically/emotionally justifiable will depend on the specific situation.

I still have emotions like everyone else; I just realise they're a sort of illusion. To call me an animal is just uncalled for really, I don't know why you said that. I'm no more or less of an animal than you are.

I know you told me you weren't a troll, but I really think you are. You're not interested in having an actual reasonable conversation with me, but just to insult me based on my philosophical perspectives. What's that all about?

He didn't call you an animal. He's just illustrating what he believes happens when you carry the philosophy you've stated here to its logical end. He would only be calling you an animal if he thinks your philosophy is true, which he doesn't. He's trying to illustrate that you do have a sense of morality despite denying it.

Lark

Worldview plays some role in how society is structured and how individuals act. However, in my view despite what other people might believe I think everyone is a human endowed with a certain sense of right and wrong. So even if you don't have a reason for believing in right and wrong you can't escape your own sense of it. This is why I think En Gallop doesn't want to be thought of as a murderer. It's not just a matter cultural conditioning.

My question would be if it is a matter of cultural conditioning then were did culture come from?

The way in which culture or memes operate in athiest theory, whether its God, Morality or any other human experience which they are choosing to deny is even more inexplicable, unexplainable and magical than anything at all existing in religion or mythology or any tradition what so ever.

I actually think fair play to you for carrying on the discussion Beorn because the majority of those posts just give me a headache, it'd be a different matter if the questions wherent rhetorical and if there were any questions being posed, instead its the bold assertion of "we've got all the answers" and all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, wrong.

En Gallop

Worldview plays some role in how society is structured and how individuals act. However, in my view despite what other people might believe I think everyone is a human endowed with a certain sense of right and wrong. So even if you don't have a reason for believing in right and wrong you can't escape your own sense of it. This is why I think En Gallop doesn't want to be thought of as a murderer. It's not just a matter cultural conditioning.

I've already said that we can't escape our own emotional reactions to things. This sense of "Right" you have is just a feeling. Prove it says something about an action.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My question would be if it is a matter of cultural conditioning then were did culture come from?

The way in which culture or memes operate in athiest theory, whether its God, Morality or any other human experience which they are choosing to deny is even more inexplicable, unexplainable and magical than anything at all existing in religion or mythology or any tradition what so ever.

I actually think fair play to you for carrying on the discussion Beorn because the majority of those posts just give me a headache, it'd be a different matter if the questions wherent rhetorical and if there were any questions being posed, instead its the bold assertion of "we've got all the answers" and all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, wrong.

Well where did she say that she has all the answers and that all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, and wrong?

Lark

Well where did she say that she has all the answers and that all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, and wrong?

It's marked #0 because it comes after #119, although its implied in a lot of posts before that.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's marked #0 because it comes after #119, although its implied in a lot of posts before that.

She said you were "the most unreasonable person" on the forum, and I see that as unfair, but only after you were pretty harsh towards her as well. Not that its the end of the world for anyone or anything. Just sayin.

En Gallop

She said you were "the most unreasonable person" on the forum, and I see that as unfair, but only after you were pretty harsh towards her as well. Not that its the end of the world for anyone or anything. Just sayin.

I was talking about Victor. Lark isn't that bad in comparison. :)

Lark

I think you're playing semantics but as you say its not important in the grand scheme of things.

W

WALMART

I wonder if American's tendency to believe in the power of the individual is correlative at all to our religious habits.

En Gallop

So its not all as bitter as I thought. :laugh:

Bitter? I'm not bitter towards anyone. I have NOTHING against either Lark or Beorn personally (how can I - I don't know them lol). It just bugs me that they put my opinions down as "self-evidently wrong" and give no justification for such a conclusion. They aren't even interested in having a discussion about it. It's just "I disagree, go away!"

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bitter? I'm not bitter towards anyone. I have NOTHING against either Lark or Beorn personally (how can I - I don't know them lol). It just bugs me that they put my opinions down as "self-evidently wrong" and give no justification for such a conclusion. They aren't even interested in having a discussion about it. It's just "I disagree, go away!"

Haha, I was joking with my use of the word "bitter" I dont you have nothing against them, I was pointing out that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

Nicodemus

I wonder if American's tendency to believe in the power of the individual is correlative at all to our religious habits.
In school, we are taught that the American belief in the individual stems from the Puritan idea that success in life wins god's favor and so a good life after death.

Beorn

Permabanned
In school, we are taught that the American belief in the individual stems from the Puritan idea that success in life wins god's favor and so a good life after death.

Puritans had no interest in earning God's favor. They believed they were God's chosen people.

Nicodemus

In all fairness, I think Beorn does try to argue, even if only by using word tricks. Lark never argues; he holds monologues.