• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

the Flynn effect vs. Idiocracy

S

Society

the theory that lacking much in terms of natural selection, our intelligence should be going down
vs.
the statistical evidence that the components of intelligence measured by IQ have been increasing.

discuss.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
the theory that lacking much in terms of natural selection, our intelligence should be going down
vs.
the statistical evidence that the components of intelligence measured by IQ have been increasing.

discuss.

actually the increase was mainly in the fluid intelligence(problem solving) and not so much in crystallized intelligence (math and other learned areas), i think we only adapted to constant evolution but not became "smarter"

S

Society

actually the increase was mainly in the fluid intelligence(problem solving)

but why? there's no force in human society to increase/decrease your reproduction rate based on your problem solving capacity - in fact the lower our standards get in all evaluations, the more children we are likely to end up having, and with the protection of society, chances are they are just as likely of reaching reproduction age themselves as anyone else.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
problem solving because the lower the crystallized g, the more issues appear in life matters and dealing with life events, thus, higher fluid intelligence,
also as a pro, genetic material that diversifies intensely, a more complex political and social environment and more access to education contributed to both types of intelligence,
would you care to explain idiocracy?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If idiocracy is like the movie it means that people with a higher intelligence do have in average statistics less childs. While people with a lower intelligence do have more childs. So statistics would favor the intelligent to eventually die out.

I dont think that works tho, cause mavericks do happen even in low intelligence couples. You cant surely predict the IQ of newborns, only their upbringing (intelligent kids tho often have the needed independence to transcend their upbringings).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Environment has a significant impact on intelligence. The longer I live the more plastic potential seems - each individual has far more potential than there is time and energy to develop.

Deprivation of basic resources can also damage intelligence terribly, including malnutrition during pregnancy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Environment has a significant impact on intelligence. The longer I live the more plastic potential seems - each individual has

This is very true. Especially since most jobs are a no-brainer but leave you no time or energy besides them. That lets you really become dumber over time.

This definitly a conspiracy theory by the illuminati, who try to prevent people from becoming more intelligent and develop power hungry tendencies. :)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I would highly doubt that humans will get much smarter on average.
We have a brain case of a certain size, and it's full, so unless there is pressure of the right kind and intensity to create a bigger case, there is no possibility of dramatically higher intelligence.
Therefore the only option is for our existing physiological processes to change, and thereby become faster. But what pressure could create that?
Maybe the increase in fluid intelligence is the beginning of this process...?

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The idiocracy video is funny , the one with Flynn is interesting though but because of what he said about black people, i think there s more there to be said but it would only be assertions

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think human intelligence is growing increasingly collectivized. When framing it as a matter of more or less intelligent, it can appear to go either way depending on how you look at it.

Lark

I'd also say that its pure intellect which is being tracted here, not emotional, social competence or intelligence.

So conditions individually or socially can not be expected to improve or the pace of innovation to change. Rubish in, Rubish out isnt important.

S

Society

I'd also say that its pure intellect which is being tracted here, not emotional, social competence or intelligence.

So conditions individually or socially can not be expected to improve or the pace of innovation to change. Rubish in, Rubish out isnt important.

not necessarily - it's just the process of becoming more "civilized": the better the problem solving capacity becomes, the more problems can and do get solved, while problems generated by the intentions of those with greater problem solving capacities grow larger, so an increasing portion of life's challenges is not the nature of life but the nature of life with other people - a.k.a. civilized life (i know it's not the traditional meaning of the word but it seems to fit here better than it's common use).