• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is God Evil? Can we overthrow him?

Is God Evil? Can we overthrow him?

• Total voters
S

Society

This isn't based on political power structures; this is a question of which force of will has the power to control its own fate.

I don't really understand what this even means haha.

if the monotheist god exists, the universe is a dictatorship. that somewhat conflicts with modern values of personal liberty, which is why we very much romanticize the notion of overthrowing dictatorships throughout history. for the most part that includes states, but there's no reason to not extend the notion to the universe itself?

ofcourse, applying the same logic.... if we're going greek, i'm voting dionysus.

En Gallop

if the monotheist god exists, the universe is a dictatorship. that somewhat conflicts with modern values of personal liberty, which is why we very much romanticize the notion of overthrowing dictatorships throughout history. for the most part that includes states, but there's no reason to not extend the notion to the universe itself?

ofcourse, applying the same logic.... if we're going greek, i'm voting dionysus.

That's a very big "if" you start with. Surely it deserves a capital letter? :)

I find it difficult to conceptualise a god that would realistically take an interest in human affairs. What would cause an all-powerful, non-physical, non-living entity to feel a need to dominate a species living on a small planet in a tiny part of the universe?

On a tangent, what's so bad about dictators anyway? Some of the greatest rulers in history have been dictators (or, if not dictators, certainly very much IN CHARGE lol). It certainly seems at least as reasonable to have a dictatorship as a democracy! :)

S

Society

That's a very big "if" you start with. Surely it deserves a capital letter? :)
it's all hypotheticals here - i don't see the problem with that - it's just like like arguments of "zombie apocalypse vs. alien invasion, what would be better?", or "spiderman vs. batman, who would win in a drunken bar fight?" - you share because if others join in its no longer mental masturbation :D

and yes - hypothetically a benevolent dictator with a good problem solving capacity can be better than any other regime.

but it reminds me of an argument i had with a religious friend of mine - he always used to say "everything happens for good" - it's a jewish religious chant assuming god is working in mysterious ways but he is always doing it for the best... at some point i just got tired of it and asked him, "good for who?", going on with examples of cases which where clearly not contributive to the well being for various people affected by them, taken from my life and his... he stumbled around and eventually didn't have an answer.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me down to lie
Through pastures green he leadeth me the silent waters by
With bright knives he releaseth my soul
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places
He converteth me to lamb cutlets
For lo,m he hath great power and great hunger
When cometh the day we lowly ones
Through quiet reflection and great dedication
Master the art of karate
Lo, we shall rise up
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think God is neither good nor evil and I believe He, She or It can't be overthrown - it's like an ant waging war with a rhinoceros - which one will win?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is God Evil?
There's an implicit "praise me or I'll send you to an eternity in Hell" rule that makes Hitler look like Mother Teresa in comparison.

Can we overthrow him?
Luckily, he merely exists within people's mind, so a massive brainwash should be enough.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's an implicit "praise me or I'll send you to an eternity in Hell" rule that makes Hitler look like Mother Teresa in comparison.

Luckily, he merely exists within people's mind, so a massive brainwash should be enough.

How dare you defy the almighty power of God! You will invoke his wrath so that he summons another great flood to wash all of your dirty wiskedness away. Heaven has no place for the unworthy.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like how the 5 folks so far who voted God is Evil and can be overthrown are members whos post I am more fond of.

Lark

No and No.

This is a little like saying is gravity evil and can be overthrow it.

Mole

Permabanned
Gravity and God

This is a little like saying is gravity evil and can be overthrow it.

When we travel into Space, we float free from gravity; and as we learn about the world, we float free from God.

Beorn

Permabanned
When we travel into Space, we float free from gravity; and as we learn about the world, we float free from God.

When you travel into space you perceive that you are free of gravity, but the reality is that gravity is working on a much higher level than you perceive and you are really being pulled at many many miles per hour around the sun and the milky way. Likewise, a little learning about the world might make you feel that there is no God and anyway you have no need for him, but you have no idea how big God really is and how much he is doing in your life while you supposedly float free of him.

Mole

Permabanned
When you travel into space you perceive that you are free of gravity, but the reality is that gravity is working on a much higher level than you perceive and you are really being pulled at many many miles per hour around the sun and the milky way. Likewise, a little learning about the world might make you feel that there is no God and anyway you have no need for him, but you have no idea how big God really is and how much he is doing in your life while you supposedly float free of him.

Is this the same God who ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and then slaughter him? Is this the same God who tortured his own son, Jesus, to death?

C'mon, your God is a compulsive and repetitive child abuser.

Your God is the nightmare of childhood.

Lark

A little learning inclinith a mind towards atheism, although a lot of learning disinclinith it, or something like that, Francis Bacon, before the athiests hijacked science :)

Lark

Is this the same God who ordered Abraham to tie up his son Isaac and then slaughter him? Is this the same God who tortured his own son, Jesus, to death?

C'mon, your God is a compulsive and repetitive child abuser.

Your God is the nightmare of childhood.

I think that's your God is the nightmare of childhood Victor, no one believes the one dimensional horse shite the athiests peddle and you've taken in hook, line and sinker.

What about man? God wasnt weilding any knife, it was Abraham, God didnt hammer any nails or weild any whips, in order for any of that too make sense there was always the sovereignty of the individual and all those perpetuating lies or evil can at any and all times choose not to.