• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do we have too much time to think about ourselves?

Illmatic

well I was watching the Sopranos and they was a scene where Tony and this other girl are talking and she says something along the lines of how he has everything and yet he complains and how we well off people have . Now I'm not saying I'm like Tony or anything. But from birth I've been well off. Not rich by any means but always got thru without any major hardships. Had a house. Had school. Had friends. Yet I constantly find myself being depressed about things. This got me thinking, do people who had a decent upbringing have too much time to think about themselves? I mean people who are on the constant struggle or even a minor struggle who are not as well of as us all they can think about is how to get their thru this struggle. It makes them stronger. Maybe that's why I'm so weak mentally and physically because I've always had it somewhat easy. No struggle in my life.

Is it okay for me to be sad with all the other shit going on with other people?
Do we have too much time to think about ourselves?

Sometimes I wish I had some sort of struggle in my life to toughen me up. I don't know shit. Maybe I should just end it.

W

WALMART

Yeah, the monotony of a privileged life can be awfully droning.

*insert nuclear war here*

Perhaps you should find something intensive to pursue. There are many options, but you are likely in a place where options seem lackluster. Stick through it.

G

Glycerine

Even if you had struggles (as you put it) you might still be depressed. Just because one has a privileged life, doesn't mean it's a life without ups and downs. Material well-being can only bring so much. They might have too much time on their hands or they might actually be depressed among other things.

Join the military?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whats worse is to be poor and without struggles. I mean not starving, where you actually have to get up and find work, but where you have just enough to survive, yet no real struggle anymore; some rich people do have struggle, thats how they became rich. Some poor people stay in the same static situation most of their lives. Its not being well off that causes depression, its not doing anything for yourself or doing nothing to change your life that does.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I think there's a certain degree of ennui that comes from having been well-provided for and not having to strive. Plus, your personal struggle may be that you have depressive tendencies. Don't feel guilt that you're sad even when your life is "easier". Experience is subjective, after all. What brings you joy may not be pleasing to the same degree or may even be painful for another person. There's no real way to measure your life against others', and little point in it.

Once when I was at the lowest depth of depression I've ever experienced, I realized that I didn't really feel like living for anything anymore, so I might as well dedicate myself to making someone else happy. After that everything started moving uphill. I tend to think about myself too much, too, and to focus too much on whether or not I'm happy. You could try dedicating some of your time to a cause outside yourself.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I think there's a certain degree of ennui that comes from having been well-provided for and not having to strive. Plus, your personal struggle may be that you have depressive tendencies. Don't feel guilt that you're sad even when your life is "easier". Experience is subjective, after all. What brings you joy may not be pleasing to the same degree or may even be painful for another person. There's no real way to measure your life against others', and little point in it.

I tend to think about myself too much, too, and to focus too much on whether or not I'm happy. It can get miserable. Once when I was at the lowest depth of depression I've ever experienced, I realized that I didn't really feel like living for anything anymore, so I might as well dedicate myself to making someone else happy. After that everything started moving uphill.

You could try dedicating some of your time and talents to an external cause.