• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it really possible to break with or assail or move beyond

Lark

Consumerism?

I'm not one for making despairing or reductive commentary about consumerism, I kind of hope that there are still things which cant be bought and sold and that every sort of personal and social interaction isnt just a form of marketing or buying and selling but what do you think?

Do you put in entire days without what could be considered consumerism in one shape or another intruding upon things or not?

En Gallop

Consumerism?

I'm not one for making despairing or reductive commentary about consumerism, I kind of hope that there are still things which cant be bought and sold and that every sort of personal and social interaction isnt just a form of marketing or buying and selling but what do you think?

Do you put in entire days without what could be considered consumerism in one shape or another intruding upon things or not?

I wrote a short story against consumerism. Give me £10 and you can read it. :)

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm not sure. One of the fascinating (disturbing?) things about consumerism today is that you can actually buy an ethical character. For $50 you can project to other people around you that you care more about poor Africans than fashion. That is until your ugly shoes disintegrate.

w-ash-canvas-classics-s-su12_1.jpg

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It must be possible, but it'd be pretty hard. I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon. I like clothes and shoes and books and restaurants too much. :unsure:

My biggest efforts in that direction would be living without debt, except for student loans. Like, paying cash for our house and our cars and not using credit cards.

unnamed

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Lark,I can see through the cost of jeans you wearing not more than $10 USD made in China.

I'm not sure. One of the fascinating (disturbing?) things about consumerism today is that you can actually buy an ethical character. For $50 you can project to other people around you that you care more about poor Africans than fashion. That is until your ugly shoes disintegrate.

w-ash-canvas-classics-s-su12_1.jpg

Cost :not more than $ 2USD made in Africa.