• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?"

In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?

• Total voters

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Kalach, I do sound like you, and that is my point, is that INTJs often DO sound like me....just inside out. I've been saying this. A ton. I also acknowledged when talking to Peace Baby that we all want to complain about other people not understanding our world view, whether we value realistic consequences or imagination more.

You always make a ton of sense to me, for some reason I follow you a lot more easily than some people; IN FACT you are one of the few people on this forum capable of teaching me things or making me see things in a totally different way without making me upset about something.

Even my annoyance with your Ni/Si obsession never goes past the dial of annoyance. I'm never gonna flip out on you. It's not gonna happen. It reminds me of how I could listen to and take instruction from my ENTJ friend IRL without being very offended, and actually being amused or calmed by it.

So either you're wrong about ENFPs being able to understand INTJs, or I'm some kind of SFP.

They understand fine. They just don't care. In this, yeah, holla back Fi. Just like you were saying. But I'm adding in a layer of description. I say caring about particular kinds of images is super fine and it's jim dandy. The images carry the day. And the Ni's and Si's of the world look to images that are different in kind and content. I'll go ahead and assert you can see it at work even when you get NTPs saying yes to this question. They still need to mention horrors and how, categorically, once the horror is out of the way blah blah blah. (But when STPs say no, who knows what's afoot.)

What's the meeting point? How do differences in perspective and focus get together and communicate? It's looks a lot like they just batter each other for a while and then some contingent factor takes over, like who has power or authority, or who got tired, or who forgot this or that. It's pretty grim as a vision of communication.

What if we said: in a certain light, massive and systemic failure to communicate can be exciting? I do wonder who would say yes and who would say no.

Take your pick Kalach, but in doing so, you'll have to admit you made a mistake in your math problem somewheres.

That never happens.

Your own type is your business. Type assertions, though, might be fair game.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What I acknowledge is the fact that you aren't really listening to people - a mindset that usually precedes your bans, btw.

I could probably have gotten you perma banned if I had pushed you a bit more and reported.

So don't be an easy target, otherwise someone is gonna make you lose it soon enough.

I'd recommend more yoga classes.

If you'd pushed me more? So you mean if you intentionally trolled me?

Why couldn't I get you banned for trolling then?

I think this forum is kind of absurd, even [MENTION=14179]SolitaryWalker[/MENTION] admitted he had gotten F types infracted by trolling them, because basically as an INTP he can keep his cool longer (though he did lose it once on me) ...but he was being immature, I told him about his being immature toward trolling those people here, and later he agreed.

"If I don't push them, someone else will" isn't an excuse to troll people, just like it's not an excuse to physically push people.

I actually am listening to people, you weren't really listening to me in many regards, and you still aren't.

Nicodemus

If I were to follow that train of thought, I might think the person's ethics/morals were questionable if I considered pleasure and fun a "good" thing and nuclear war a "bad" thing.
Let's say you consider pleasure and fun a "good" thing and nuclear war a "bad" thing, while I think that there are aspects of nuclear war that are fun. How, in this scenario, are my ethics/morals questionable?

En Gallop

Well clearly I'm interested in nuclear war if I've talked about it this much, and bothered to be so informed about the reality of it; and I think my admission of somehow discovering that I found Russians exciting means that there was a part of me that understands romanticizing war.

However, like so many other people responded, in the long-term, no nuclear war is not "exciting" in any kind of positive or fun way. No more than I would find the reality of being gang raped by some strange men exciting in a positive or fun way.

I even tried to explain to Rasofy quite a few pages back that even when women have rape fantasies, they tend to want to be "raped" by a very particular man or men when they're turned on, which makes it actually not rape, but simply being sexually dominated by someone you find attractive.

And so then I explained that the REALITY was so appalling that I even found fantasizing about it pretty gross.

And HEY, because of my reaction, it caused people to really explain and defend their responses, which means I learned what they really meant, and hopefully they learned from me too.

Having a strong reaction can stimulate conversation, it causes people to think in a different way.

It's one of the reasons I considered being ENFj in Socionics: using Fe to excite and manipulate a response.

I find Russians exciting too - especially Maria Sharapova, but that's neither here nor there... Only the USA has ever been crazy enough to actually use nukes in a war anyway, so why are we talking about Russians lol?

Did someone say nuclear war was fun then? I'll have to go back and read that, as I think I missed it.

I'm not sure what gang rape has to do with anything, but it's nice to hear your thoughts. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find Russians exciting too - especially Maria Sharapova, but that's neither here nor there... Only the USA has ever been crazy enough to actually use nukes in a war anyway, so why are we talking about Russians lol?

The Cold War, I'm sure you've heard of it; I'm also pretty sure you've heard of Chernobyl, which is in the Ukraine, but happened in the former USSR.

I also mentioned North Korea early on. My argument from the beginning was built on my ethics and what I saw as reality, and my personal interpretation of the word "exciting."

Did someone say nuclear war was fun then? I'll have to go back and read that, as I think I missed it.

I'm not sure what gang rape has to do with anything, but it's nice to hear your thoughts. :)

Are you sure you're an INTP? :mellow: You don't know why I'd make a comparison to the fantasy and reality of something? Why fantasies are exciting but often not when compared with the reality of that thing happening.

And yes, some people interpreted the word "exciting" to mean fun or pleasurable, like "hey cool, bombs."

Thanks for being so considerate. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I assume a lot of people who say no are kind of feeling the same thing I am where they understand why someone could think it's interesting/exciting, and they might be excited if thrown into the midst of it, but the term "nuclear war" doesn't really stir up much feeling of excitement within them.

I was kidding with what I said about Care Bears before but honestly I get way more excited thinking about Care Bears than about nuclear war. There's just not much desire in me to get worked up over something I find unpleasant.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you'd pushed me more? So you mean if you intentionally trolled me?
Yes.

Why couldn't I get you banned for trolling then?
Because I take rules seriously, even when semi trolling. I've never gotten a single infraction here.

I think this forum is kind of absurd, even [MENTION=14179]SolitaryWalker[/MENTION] admitted he had gotten F types infracted by trolling them, because basically as an INTP he can keep his cool longer (though he did lose it once on me) ...but he was being immature, I told him about his being immature toward trolling those people here, and later he agreed.
Hah, interesting.

"If I don't push them, someone else will" isn't an excuse to troll people, just like it's not an excuse to physically push people.
That doesn't affect the fact that you would easily get yourself banned. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I actually am listening to people, you weren't really listening to me in many regards, and you still aren't.
I understand your perspective, and yet I have a different one.

We can either coexist peacefully or start a jihad.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes.

Because I take rules seriously, even when semi trolling.

Trolling is against the rules, so no you don't take them seriously. The people who take them the most seriously are the people who are the most polite and pleasant and never troll. I can't say I've always been polite and pleasant, and many people who have never even gotten infracted can't say they've never trolled.

It's not funny, it's not cute, it's a loop-hole in the system probably left over from Typology Central being connected to INTPcentral.

Half the stuff that goes on here would never go on, on INTJforum, for example.

If you really loved rules, you'd hang out on INTJforum. They know rules.

Hah, interesting.

That doesn't affect the fact that you would easily get yourself banned. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes, well thanks for your concern. And your acknowledgement that the forum is indeed set up in a way so that emotional people get in trouble more easily, even if there are other people around them with even more insidious or amoral agendas.

I understand your perspective, and yet I have a different one.

We can either coexist peacefully or start a jihad.

I'm not fighting with you, I was trying to get you to see the reality of nuclear war. You're the one who told me to get some Ne, and to tone down the Fi, so you kind of started it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
They understand fine. They just don't care. In this, yeah, holla back Fi. Just like you were saying. But I'm adding in a layer of description. I say caring about particular kinds of images is super fine and it's jim dandy. The images carry the day. And the Ni's and Si's of the world look to images that are different in kind and content. I'll go ahead and assert you can see it at work even when you get NTPs saying yes to this question. They still need to mention horrors and how, categorically, once the horror is out of the way blah blah blah. (But when STPs say no, who knows what's afoot.)

What's the meeting point? How do differences in perspective and focus get together and communicate? It's looks a lot like they just batter each other for a while and then some contingent factor takes over, like who has power or authority, or who got tired, or who forgot this or that. It's pretty grim as a vision of communication.

What if we said: in a certain light, massive and systemic failure to communicate can be exciting? I do wonder who would say yes and who would say no.

Apparently I find that overly exciting. :laugh:

That never happens.

Your own type is your business. Type assertions, though, might be fair game.

Sez you.

En Gallop

My argument from the beginning was built on my ethics and what I saw as reality, and my personal interpretation of the word "exciting."

Are you sure you're an INTP? :mellow: You don't know why I'd make a comparison to the fantasy and reality of something? Why fantasies are exciting but often not when compared with the reality of that thing happening.

And yes, some people interpreted the word "exciting" to mean fun or pleasurable, like "hey cool, bombs."

That's fine - the main disagreement between us is about the added "positive element" to the word exciting. It can be meant both ways, but I kind of mean "unboring" when I use it in this context.

I'm not one hundred percent sure about being INTP, like I'm not one hundred percent sure about anything haha. I think I probably am though, from what I've read and understood so far.

I see the diference between fantasy and reality. Personally, I find fantasy far more interesting and realistic. :) You can't have a realistic perspective about things without a solid amount of imagination, I think. You have to go through the imagination to reach reality.

What you mean by "reality" is "personal experience". This tends to be very important to the individual (obviously), but gives a very small view of the real picture. Anyway, I think I'm going off the thread topic too now lol.

Haha, yeah I didn't mean it like that. But aren't you doing a similar thing: "Urgh, ugly horrible bombs?" :)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trolling is against the rules, so no you don't take them seriously. The people who take them the most seriously are the people who are the most polite and pleasant and never troll.
Sounds boring. Typoc is not ISFJforum.

I'm not fighting with you, I was trying to get you to see the reality of nuclear war. You're the one who told me to get some Ne, and to tone down the Fi, so you kind of started it.
You might call that trolling, but I call it a lighthearted joke.

And I believe mods would find those much more acceptable than calling someone a "emotionally retarded hypocrite".

Just a guess.

Nicodemus

It says, dear Nicodemus, how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb.

As you can see, it is a strangelove.

So sit back, light up a cigar, and enjoy the trailer for the movie, "Dr Strangelove - or How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", by clicking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvhuMNSbglY
My dear Victor,

I have seen the film in question in its entirety, even repeatedly, finding it exciting, fun, and good in a number of ways.

So I take it you will understand me when I say in the spirit of strangelove: "Mein Führer, I can see."

In fact, let me say: "I can see clearly now; the rain is gone."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds boring. Typoc is not ISFJ forum.

oh but you see my dear, it is ISFJ forum...the way INTPs make rules are the same way ISFJs make rules, as long as you're "mean" in the socially acceptable way, the thing that's more offensive are authentic displays of emotion...it's kind of like "learn to be mean in our way, or STFU and live in fear of being infracted"

It's why JTG bombed the site, he said he couldn't stand the inconsistency and hypocrisy, and it's why I've long believed his self-typing of ISTJ, because his idea of rules is more like a place like INTJ forum. He did much better there. I don't think he was ever infracted, no not even once. Because as harsh as they are, it's consistent.

You might call that trolling, but I call it a lighthearted joke.

And I believe mods would find those much more acceptable than calling someone a "emotionally retarded hypocrite".

Just a guess.

Oh I know some of the former mods here, and have talked with them about it. I'm not as dumb as some people seem to think I am, I just get too caught up in arguments with people, that's all.

Mole

Permabanned
My dear Victor,

I have seen the film in question in its entirety, even repeatedly, finding it exciting, fun, and good in a number of ways.

So I take it you will understand me when I say in the spirit of strangelove: "Mein Führer, I can see."

In fact, let me say: "I can see clearly now; the rain is gone."

Bravo!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's fine - the main disagreement between us is about the added "positive element" to the word exciting. It can be meant both ways, but I kind of mean "unboring" when I use it in this context.

And that's cool. Maybe if someone had said "unboring" twenty pages ago, I would have gotten it a lot sooner.

I'm not one hundred percent sure about being INTP, like I'm not one hundred percent sure about anything haha. I think I probably am though, from what I've read and understood so far.

I see the diference between fantasy and reality. Personally, I find fantasy far more interesting and realistic. :) You can't have a realistic perspective about things without a solid amount of imagination, I think. You have to go through the imagination to reach reality.

What you mean by "reality" is "personal experience". This tends to be very important to the individual (obviously), but gives a very small view of the real picture. Anyway, I think I'm going off the thread topic too now lol.

Haha, yeah I didn't mean it like that. But aren't you doing a similar thing: "Urgh, ugly horrible bombs?" :)

YES...and that's why I keep saying it's Fi, and ENFPs like [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] said she doesn't really feel excited about things she finds unpleasant to think about...Fi tends to feel very strongly about things.

So a lot of people have said "don't feel strongly ethically about this" but if you're an Fi type, and take nuclear war seriously (ofc some people don't) then you're going to have a hard time putting it into perspective unless you calm down and use other functions.

Fi types tend to lose it about different things, though; though you'll see some similarities of them largely not caring for human suffering or ugliness, they all have different ideas of precisely what that means, and which field they'll "specialize."

Yes, that's apt, just like INTPs, Ti types, might academically specialize in a certain subject, I think Fi types "specialize" in a certain area, so to speak, they have stronger ethics about certain topics than others, and then on the rest they can be more like live and let live.

G

Glycerine

Let's say you consider pleasure and fun a "good" thing and nuclear war a "bad" thing, while I think that there are aspects of nuclear war that are fun. How, in this scenario, are my ethics/morals questionable?
Well, war (including nuclear war) is typically "bad" because of the casualties and destruction so if someone derived fun from the situation, I would question their morals. How could one see things as "fun" when people and the world around them are being destroyed? There would a contradiction in how one experiences it while others suffer.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Because pretty soon new controversies caused us to forget to delete the rancid fruit of controversies past. That's being rectified as we speak.