• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

original sin

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps in the Gnostic gospels, where Christ is a phantom in human form. This is not so in the Synoptic Gospels, where the concept of Christ being fully human and fully divine is strongly emphasized, being the basis for the Christian concept of the Incarnation.

In regards to Gnosticism, there are also the views that Jesus was a man into whom Christ and Sophia "entered" at His baptism or that He would be able to become material and immaterial as He pleased.

S

Sniffles

While I don't attach any weight to the original sin story much at all, my INxx ex-girlfriend did present an idea to me that I think is worth mentioning: That the genesis story isn't meant to be read literally but rather symbolically and that it's more of an allegory to the idea that humanity may have been "perfect" or "blissful" at some point in time but as a result of some unspecified chain of events, humanity devolved in some way that removed them from "God" and resulted in the humans that we are today.

That's been the most common interpretation of the Genesis story actually.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's been the most common interpretation of the Genesis story actually.

Perhaps in your circles My Dear Peguy, but I live in the Deep South, land of the Fundy-Baptist-Young-Earth-Creationist-Jesus-was-friends-with-dinosaurs variety of Christianity. They often take a very literal view of the Genesis story or they have a rather...shall we say....unique view of it..

Oddly enough, the above interpretation seems to be prevalent amongst the ELCA Lutheran Churchs and some the Catholics. It's the bloody Baptists and their ilk where all the raisin cakes seem to gather :unsure:

Mole

Permabanned
Natural Selection and MBTI

Perhaps in your circles My Dear Peguy, but I live in the Deep South, land of the Fundy-Baptist-Young-Earth-Creationist-Jesus-was-friends-with-dinosaurs variety of Christianity. They often take a very literal view of the Genesis story

I understand 46% of Americans don't think natural selection is a fact, and this percent has remained constant over 23 years.

And so it comes as no surprise Americans believe they can type themselves, their family, their friends, complete strangers, celebrities, their pets and even whole countries, using mbti.

Mole

Permabanned
Saint Augustine and Torture

Well I guess Philo of Alexandria and St. Augustine of Hippo would be counted among my circles.

Saint Augustine taught that heretics should be tortured, and they were.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I understand 46% of Americans don't think natural selection is a fact, and this percent has remained constant over 23 years.

And so it comes as no surprise Americans believe they can type themselves, their family, their friends, complete strangers, celebrities, their pets and even whole countries, using mbti.
I agree the second fact if it is indeed a fact is unreasonable, but how does this follow? General irrationality?

Mole

Permabanned
Follow and Resonate

I agree the second fact if it is indeed a fact is unreasonable, but how does this follow? General irrationality?

It doesn't so much follow as resonate.

In linear sequential print things follow one another, but on the electronic media things resonate with one another.

Just as in the authoritarian society we follow the leader, but in the creative society we resonate with one another.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the original sin was eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, or power, or something like that. But a Catholic priest at a talk the other night said the original sin was being conceived by a non-virgin birth, i.e. being produced because your parents had sex. So sex is the original sin. But Eve was created so Adam wouldn't be lonely, and sex is supposed to produce (according to religion, including what the Catholic priest said) a spiritual union of souls. So sex makes you less lonely.

Sounds like Gnostic teaching. The Gnostics believed all matter, being in flux and constant change, was the work of an evil creator god(demiurge), which was YWVH/creator God of the old testament. Hence all pro/creation could/would be seen as evil since it perpetuated matter.

So Eve could have been created to have sex with Adam and produce loving harmonious happiness and all that. But sex is a sin. Huh? Can we extrapolate/deduce by combining the two that if knowledge of good and evil and all other god-like powers and sex are both the original sin, then they might be the same thing, and sex will lead to god-like knowledge of good and evil, and everything else? Can we know the mysteries of the universe through sex, and that's what monotheism thinks is a sin, because then we would be like God and have no need for monotheistic religion anymore?

:)

I can only dream of the day, when, for whatever reason, we have no need for monotheistic religions(no offense to anyone). Learning the secrets of the universe through sex sounds cool, though Im not sure what there is be learned? Maybe the nature of individualty, via an ecstatic like act of sex magic, of Crowley's "I am divided for union's sake, for union's sake and love's!"?

Mole

Permabanned
Origin and End

We seek our origins.

We have found the origin of species with Charles Darwin and confirmed by the sequencing of the genome.

And we may have found the origin of matter and gravity in String Theory.

And we may have found the origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind with Julian Jaynes.

And we have found the origin of sin in Genesis.

But the Age of Originality is coming to an end, as we join the electronic tribe in the global village.